What's new

X-Ray OS on opponent's wakeup

An option-select is a series of inputs that are supposed to detect what the opponent is doing and choose an appropriate option for you.

But all the videos in this thread are not showing option-selects. It's just throwing out a random and very unsafe X-ray. They're wild guesses. You're guessing that the opponent is going to wake up attack and not block or roll back. But if you're guessing, then it's not an OS. An Option-Select is supposed to detect something and choose an option for you.

In my original video, the 2 options are: "String comes out on whiff" or: "Buffered move comes out if the poke touches the opponent". So the idea was to poke just outside of range (not point blank) to make sure the poke would always whiff no matter what the opponent did on his wake up. Except if they did a wake up attack that moved them forward a little, then they would come into contact with the poke (which would obviously need to still be active at this point) and that would trigger whatever you have buffered between your string.

That's the pseudo option-select. But it doesn't literally detect the wake up attack, the poke only detects that there is contact with the opponent. Which is why you have to make sure the poke always whiffs, is always out of range and that the only possible way it could ever come into contact with the opponent is if they actually did a "traveling wake up attack". (ex: Nightwolf's Shoulder, Jax's Dash punch, Kabal's nomad dash and Sonya/Sindel's cartwheels. All those wake up attacks make these characters move forward)

If you can't get an untechable knockdown, then this is pointless to even try imo. And even with an untechable knockdown, the opponent could just stay grounded and whiff punish you.

I encourage people to focus on other types of "OS" like anti-teleports and anti-cross over jumps. Those are more useful and realistic to pull off in MK9. Rolling back and staying grounded make it nearly impossible to have any serious oki OS going on. But that's a good thing. I certainly wouldn't want MK9 to become like SSF4 where the CPU plays the oki game for you.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've been thinking about this recently. A couple things need to happen for this to work:

1. The xray must come out (and hit) when the opponent does something other than tech roll or block
2. The x-ray must not come out when the opponent blocks or tech rolls

Then i thought, "Well what move is bufferable, but does nothing on block and whiff?"

B2 unblockable. Duh.

Much harder to time than d1 or 12, but if the opponent blocks, well you hit em with the unblockable and you link into x-ray (or lift if you're fast enough). If they tech roll, the b2 whiffs and thats it. If they wake-up, they eat a fully loaded armored x-ray. If they roll AND wake-up...well it depends on the wakeup. Kabal's buzzsaws will hit you and stuff like that, but advancing specials will eat x-ray.

Note that this is hard to get consistently and like Vulcan said, it is very much wake-up and character dependent. If you are fighting a Jax and you expect wake-up dash punch, this might work. MIGHT. This is terribly impractical but i'd like to hear your thought on this.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've been thinking about this recently. A couple things need to happen for this to work:

1. The xray must come out (and hit) when the opponent does something other than tech roll or block
2. The x-ray must not come out when the opponent blocks or tech rolls

Then i thought, "Well what move is bufferable, but does nothing on block and whiff?"

B2 unblockable. Duh.

Much harder to time than d1 or 12, but if the opponent blocks, well you hit em with the unblockable and you link into x-ray (or lift if you're fast enough). If they tech roll, the b2 whiffs and thats it. If they wake-up, they eat a fully loaded armored x-ray. If they roll AND wake-up...well it depends on the wakeup. Kabal's buzzsaws will hit you and stuff like that, but advancing specials will eat x-ray.

Note that this is hard to get consistently and like Vulcan said, it is very much wake-up and character dependent. If you are fighting a Jax and you expect wake-up dash punch, this might work. MIGHT. This is terribly impractical but i'd like to hear your thought on this.
That could work actually but yeah only against melee wake-up attacks. If they roll though and do a wake-up projectile we could do a B2 dash cancel to X-RAY yes ?