What's new

X-Men: Days of Future Past discussion (SPOILERS)

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
So there's been enough status updates that I think it might warrant a collective discussion because I'm honestly a bit surprised everyone is so warm to it. I mean don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable movie on it's own but in the context of several aspects I won't get into yet, I was underwhelmed and disappointed. I'm curious what you guys think. Why did you/didn't you like X-Men: DoFP?

Here's some material to jog your brain:

Positive reviews:
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2765

Negative reviews:
http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2014/05/escape-to-movies-x-men-days-of-future.html
http://www.larsenonfilm.com/x-men-days-of-future-past

Last edited:

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Watched it on Friday, it was good. But I think they made this one b/c fans complained that Cyclops and Phoenix died too early, mostly Cyclops.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
It was great. Too bad they had to close some X3 plot holes like Xavier's twin in the post-credit scene and that shady shit everyone decided to ignore.

But overall it was great, FX were great, actors were great, there was some nice character development, awesome nodes to the comics, a ton of eater eggs, and the best part, X3 never actually happened now!

Whoever didn't like it sucks at life.

Also dat quicksilver scene.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen, primarily for one reason. Beast. There is an entire line of X-Men comics arguably more impactful than the DOFP storyline involving a cure for mutant powers. Not only does Beast have what is essentially that cure, but it's controllable and apparently also cures paralysis. It's just like his fucking "power boost" formula from First Class; it's a retarded origin story for his blue fur that serves no real purpose, but would actually have a major impact on the X-Men universe. The only reason I can think of for including that stupid serum in DOFP is because Xavier is so powerful that they couldn't think of any problems he wouldn't be able to solve in the blink of an eye.

I also hate when superhero movies try to cram some sort of half-baked theme down your throat (just watch Batman Begins and drink every time they say the word "fear"...). In this movie, the theme seemed to be about how murder isn't a solution, but they put it all on Mystique, saying if she kills even a single person then she's lost forever. I'm sorry, but considering she's been a mutant terrorist for anywhere from 1-10 years (due to an already janky timeline), it's insane to believe she hasn't killed anyone, even accidentally.

They made Magneto into a straight-up moron. You already prevented Mystique from killing Tyrion, you don't need to jeopardize the entire mission to try to kill her now. Oh what's that? You just exposed mutants to the entire population? Oh what's that? You set a Sentinel on "exterminate mutant" mode and were surprised when it targeted you?

They also put in probably a dozen characters that were simply there to fill trailer space and make fanboys jizz themselves in anticipation of the film's release. Blink did some cool stuff, but really Toad, Colossus, Havok, Ink, and every other mutant seen in the previews was in the movie for maybe a total of 10 minutes. I'm a Colossus fan and was lead to believe he would actually be in the movie. I didn't expect to see him be completely useless and die...twice.

Finally, using Mystique's powers as the basis for the adaptive Sentinels makes no fucking sense; that's not how her powers work. In X-Men, when she turned into Wolverine, her claws didn't have the durability of adamantium. She can change her appearance, not adapt to any threat (that would be Darwin from First Class).

I could fill pages with my issues, but I'll go ahead and end my rant now.

Neariak

LF New Main PST
MovieBob seems to have some bipolar issues lately. If it's not Marvel studios it's shit. Not to mention on his twitter he said that Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the best superhero movie of the Summer.

Neariak

LF New Main PST
It was great. Too bad they had to close some X3 plot holes like Xavier's twin in the post-credit scene and that shady shit everyone decided to ignore.

But overall it was great, FX were great, actors were great, there was some nice character development, awesome nodes to the comics, a ton of eater eggs, and the best part, X3 never actually happened now!

Whoever didn't like it sucks at life.

Also dat quicksilver scene.
Avengers 2 has a lot to live up to in regards to Quicksilver.

jrock920

Noob
fuck this movie it was trash what a waste of ten bucks.... JUST KIDDING i loved it one of my favorite movies of all time

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
This movie was incredible. I dont see what was there not to like. It keep me captivated from beginning to end and I enjoyed every piece of it.

Quicksilver probably had the best scene in the movie lol. It was so gdlk. Sucks he didn't have any more screen time after that.

A lot of people were wondering why Storm had like two lines throughout the movie. That is because she was pregnant during the filming and they wanted to get her scenes out the way before she started to develop. A lot of her scenes were actually scrapped from the movie.

Young Magneto and Mystique (god bless Jennifer Lawrence..so damn pretty) were my favorite characters in the movie. They had an amazing storyline and the way they were portrayed throughout the movie was enough to keep me intrigued without getting bored.

And dat Apocalypse tho!!!!!

I think spiderman was a bit better but still, this was a gdlk movie. Worth watching!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
MovieBob seems to have some bipolar issues lately. If it's not Marvel studios it's shit. Not to mention on his twitter he said that Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the best superhero movie of the Summer.
Yeah I love moviebob about 80% of the time. I share his Man Of Steel hate, and his favorite movie is Robocop just like mine is so I definitely share his ultra-hate of the offensively awful remake. But I don't get how he can be dismissive of Xmen, while giving movie of the year to Pacific Rim which was surprisingly light on action for a movie about giant robots and aliens, and filled with some of the worst acting and dialogue in years.

Possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen, primarily for one reason. Beast. There is an entire line of X-Men comics arguably more impactful than the DOFP storyline involving a cure for mutant powers. Not only does Beast have what is essentially that cure, but it's controllable and apparently also cures paralysis. It's just like his fucking "power boost" formula from First Class; it's a retarded origin story for his blue fur that serves no real purpose, but would actually have a major impact on the X-Men universe. The only reason I can think of for including that stupid serum in DOFP is because Xavier is so powerful that they couldn't think of any problems he wouldn't be able to solve in the blink of an eye.

I also hate when superhero movies try to cram some sort of half-baked theme down your throat (just watch Batman Begins and drink every time they say the word "fear"...). In this movie, the theme seemed to be about how murder isn't a solution, but they put it all on Mystique, saying if she kills even a single person then she's lost forever. I'm sorry, but considering she's been a mutant terrorist for anywhere from 1-10 years (due to an already janky timeline), it's insane to believe she hasn't killed anyone, even accidentally.

They made Magneto into a straight-up moron. You already prevented Mystique from killing Tyrion, you don't need to jeopardize the entire mission to try to kill her now. Oh what's that? You just exposed mutants to the entire population? Oh what's that? You set a Sentinel on "exterminate mutant" mode and were surprised when it targeted you?

They also put in probably a dozen characters that were simply there to fill trailer space and make fanboys jizz themselves in anticipation of the film's release. Blink did some cool stuff, but really Toad, Colossus, Havok, Ink, and every other mutant seen in the previews was in the movie for maybe a total of 10 minutes. I'm a Colossus fan and was lead to believe he would actually be in the movie. I didn't expect to see him be completely useless and die...twice.

Finally, using Mystique's powers as the basis for the adaptive Sentinels makes no fucking sense; that's not how her powers work. In X-Men, when she turned into Wolverine, her claws didn't have the durability of adamantium. She can change her appearance, not adapt to any threat (that would be Darwin from First Class).

I could fill pages with my issues, but I'll go ahead and end my rant now.
So you walked out it was so bad? Didn't fuckn think so!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
So you walked out it was so bad? Didn't fuckn think so!
Ha, nope, not walking out after dropping $21 on two 3d tickets. Also, I never said it was bad, just that it was dumb. Too many plot holes to ignore, but it had some nice eye candy. Just wish someone could write a superhero movie without creating a sloppy mess. The only really positive thing I can say is how happy I was that they tortured and killed Angel from First Class. She alone brought that movie down at least a star.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Ha, nope, not walking out after dropping $21 on two 3d tickets. Also, I never said it was bad, just that it was dumb. Too many plot holes to ignore, but it had some nice eye candy. Just wish someone could write a superhero movie without creating a sloppy mess. The only really positive thing I can say is how happy I was that they tortured and killed Angel from First Class. She alone brought that movie down at least a star.

Damn only $21 for two 3D tickets? Its $15.50 for ONE 3D ticket here lol

Shellhead85

Svlpvher Fixvm Est Sol
Possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen, primarily for one reason. Beast. There is an entire line of X-Men comics arguably more impactful than the DOFP storyline involving a cure for mutant powers. Not only does Beast have what is essentially that cure, but it's controllable and apparently also cures paralysis. It's just like his fucking "power boost" formula from First Class; it's a retarded origin story for his blue fur that serves no real purpose, but would actually have a major impact on the X-Men universe. The only reason I can think of for including that stupid serum in DOFP is because Xavier is so powerful that they couldn't think of any problems he wouldn't be..............
Good points. Mystique's DNA made no sense to me either. I did think Colossus was going to play a bigger part to which is what I was really hype for. I did not get why they made Magneto into Magmoron either.

Also, why did the Past Magneto make that comment to Wolverine about the metal? How did he know?
And I had no clue Kitty Pryde could transport people back in time...

Also who went as nuts as I did on the after credits teaser!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Again, Mr Love good points but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

I hope this makes you feel a little better Mr Love :D

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I thought it was awesome.

Some people simply don't understand dialog nowadays... it's all about the Michael Bay effect.

RIF

Noob
I felt first class was MUCH better, but the actors that play young/old Charles/Erik are simply perfect. Yes, there are plot holes. Yes, aspects of the story annoy anyone who is familiar with the comic books or the old 90's X-Men cartoon. However, overall the film was pretty good.

I do have one MAJOR complaint....

I realize Marvel films love putting the 'secret' scenes at the end of the film, but putting them at the very END of the film is just annoying. Put them after displaying the primary actors in the movie. I really don't care to wait through the 100 accountants and grips used during the making of the film just to get to the teaser scene.