What's new

Would you welcome NPC fights on Story Mode back?

Would you?

• Total voters

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Why is Baraka even at the Earthrealm tournament, why is Sheeva there?! MK9 was dumb.
Uh, for the same reason that Goro is there and has always been there? To win the tournament for Outworld?

Are Kotals allies sole contribution to the story showing up for 5 minutes then getting their heads chopped off by Shao Kahn's Forces?
Do you think that's all D'Vorah did in MKX...? Even Reptile had a moment of story significance, as without him, D'Vorah and Ermac might not have joined Kotal Kahn's rebellion, and Kotal might have failed.

Obviously I'm not saying MKX was the pinnacle of storytelling and gave everyone a fair chance to shine, far from it. But even so you're overstating the case for how bad it was.

Goro was the champ the past 9 times and he's beaten every mortal since Kung Lao the 1st. He was an iron wall. The whole point of it being just him shows how confident Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn are in taking Outworld.

But in 9 it's different.
So in the possible outcome of having another shokan Sheeva beating every other human in the final tournament, what happens when they face the champion? Do you get a scenario like the Fingerpoke of Doom? Are they expected to kill each other because it's Mortal Kombat?

It was simpler in MK1 but the storymode in 9 required evil jobbers to beat up so fuckit let's drop Baraka, Sheeva, Skarlet, Kitana and Jade in the Tournament. Throw Reptile and Ermac in there as participants too oh and Quan Chi.

....Wait why the fuck with Quan Chi?

I'm not saying they had to be perfect (and they're still better than Tekken 7) but you have to admit MK9 and MKX had a bunch of flaws.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think they actually considered making some of those MKX NPCs into real characters, Tanya obviously became one but they put a ton of work into some of the effects on Rain's stuff for example. To me, it made the game feel a little unfinished or rushed in a way.

That said, I have zero issues with the idea in general. It means less jobbing from different characters and it's cool to get characters for NPC fights that we might not have gotten otherwise. I think it's a shame that people had to whine so much to the point that they decided not to have it anymore.

If they're not going to be in the game, but we still get to interact with them. It's a great thing. But it's just too tempting to want them in the game at that point. Plus, they seem the most deserving of DLC spots so it ends up making you salty for their absence. So pros and cons.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
So in the possible outcome of having another shokan Sheeva beating every other human in the final tournament, what happens when they face the champion? Do you get a scenario like the Fingerpoke of Doom? Are they expected to kill each other because it's Mortal Kombat?
The tournament never made any sense, not in MK1, MK2, the MK movie, or MK9. We've always had to suspend a fair amount of disbelief on the details. Do I wish they could make a tournament that made a little bit of sense? Sure. But it isn't the end of the world for me.

I'm not saying they had to be perfect (and they're still better than Tekken 7) but you have to admit MK9 and MKX had a bunch of flaws.
You'll get no argument from me there. One thing I love about NRS though is they keep improving.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
...you hope that Fujin isn't in the story? You hope that we never see Nightwolf, Smoke, Sindel and Liu Kang's army is just Kabal and Jade? You hope that all of Kotal Kahn's Outworld allies are just inexplicably missing?

Everyone in the MK universe except for 25 specific characters should just randomly stop existing for a while?

Bruh. :/
If they're not playable, then no.

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
Yes, and they do not have to be fightable. It would allow more characters to take screen time other then just the characters on the roster and tell a richer story in my opinion. The more characters in the story the better.

On paper, I don't mind NPC kharacters, but when I play against them I want them in the game so bad. It's like putting in just the tip.