What's new

Would you still play mk9 if all resets were taken out?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You know that was my exact same response when Sub players was bitching about how NRS took sub zeros reset and damage and how he "needed it" but yet sub is still plenty viable.If they took the rune trap from quan he might become worse then jade.I know its cheap as hell but he doesnt really have anything else.
Yeah? I didn't play Sub when he had that reset. Thus, I couldn't care less that it was taken out. Sure, it'd be nice to have... but as you say, it didn't ruin Sub. Take out the rune trap and it won't ruin QC with that same logic.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Yeah? I didn't play Sub when he had that reset. Thus, I couldn't care less that it was taken out. Sure, it'd be nice to have... but as you say, it didn't ruin Sub. Take out the rune trap and it won't ruin QC with that same logic.
No, it really would.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You know that was my exact same response when Sub players was bitching about how NRS took sub zeros reset and damage and how he "needed it" but yet sub is still plenty viable.If they took the rune trap from quan he might become worse then jade.I know its cheap as hell but he doesnt really have anything else.
we bitched because they took ours... and left ALL the other ones in. you'd be pissed to.

This original post is very bad. There are damage resets.... Smoke and Cyrax etc etc. Then there are the standing resets.... which add depth to the game.

The only ones that need to go are the damage ones.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Fuck resets! They completly ruin the integrity of a fighting game. Any dumbshit with a free afternoon spent in the training room can learn almost all these resets.....or even better, just go to youtube and get a tutorial on how to do them! Theres zero talent in this. Maybe this is just the OG fighter in me, but i remember when you used to actually have to outplay someone in a fighting game to beat them. Quan Chi.....dont get me fucking started!

Enenra

Go to hell.
Fuck resets! They completly ruin the integrity of a fighting game. Any dumbshit with a free afternoon spent in the training room can learn almost all these resets.....or even better, just go to youtube and get a tutorial on how to do them! Theres zero talent in this. Maybe this is just the OG fighter in me, but i remember when you used to actually have to outplay someone in a fighting game to beat them. Quan Chi.....dont get me fucking started!
Dude in UMK3 and MKT there was no need for resets with 60+% midscreen BnBs and infinites.

OG... Lol.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
you do realize that scorpions resets are true 50/50's those type of resets are in any game so when you get hit by it, you just guessed wrong, and the cage reset is much the same. Why take out resets that are true 50/50's thats dumb.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Dude in UMK3 and MKT there was no need for resets with 60+% midscreen BnBs and infinites.

OG... Lol.
Lol..actually im way more oldshcool than that. Im talking mk, mk2, and streetfighter 2. Thats when i took a long break from fight games is when combos like that started happening.

Enenra

Go to hell.
you do realize that scorpions resets are true 50/50's those type of resets are in any game so when you get hit by it, you just guessed wrong, and the cage reset is much the same. Why take out resets that are true 50/50's thats dumb.
99% of people just want the insane damage resets gone, not the wake up destroying true resets.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
i do realize that scorpion was mentioned in the beginning part of thread as well though. I could less about any of the resets to be honest like lets be real, if cyrax hit you with the reset and you weren't smart enough to keep to bars of meter that fight then so be it. If smoke some how got his reset off of you with his B2,4 ( he doesn't even have any low strings), or 3,2,1 the so be it you just got derped and you lost . i understand why people would get mad though. I just dont understand why he listed all of the legit 50/50's with it

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
i think the resets need to be removed, but even if they aren't I'm still going to play this game lol
call me out on this, but that is one of the reasons i love this game. i would have gotten bored along time ago if every character was completely even, and there was nothing to bitch about and call broken.

and Quan is hype as shit lol. even if i get blown up by the rune trap all i can do is laugh, because the whole time I'm thinking "oh no! the rune trap!"

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Can we just stop calling Jax/Cyrax/Smoke stuff resets? Thats not what they're called, and its causing all sorts of confusion. Its a fucking exploit where you trick the game into thinking you're "free" when you can't move and thus giving you another combo. I really, REALLY fucking hate cyrax and anyone that beats me with that exploit. Its fucking bullshit that you can get 2x 30%+ combos for one bar of meter. Anyway, we need to stop calling these resets. They're damage exploits. /rant

Inb4 "herp derp whats the difference herp derp?"-The term reset has a meaning within the FGC. No point in confusing people when reset and "guaranteed damage" don't mean the same thing.

EDIT: I forgot to answer the question, and quite frankly I can say this: Of all the games I've purchased in the last year, MK9 is the one and only game I come back to consistently. I haven't played sfxt since last month and I just feel like leveling up in mk. I love the game too much, despite all its bullshit that we continue to find. I waited so long for this game, and I'm happy the way it turned out. Would I change things? Of course I would, but this is what I have to deal with right now and I'm content with what I have. I'll play this game until mk10 comes out. Mark my words...

Reneketon

Buyback, cos I'm mad
Snippity Bippity
Yesh^^^

With that cleared up, ofcourse I'd play it. Less dumb shit like 80% damage exploits would encourage me to play the game ...more.

Unless you meant actual resets...in that case not so much encouraged. But I'm assuming that isn't what you meant, since resets are standard in all fighting games and make characters more interesting.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Jax's corner auto-kill is huge and broken.
Smoke's F4 reset is broken and his others involving Smoke Bombs.
Cyrax designed is totally broken, even IF he gets patched.. something new and broken will be created..again!

Sub-Zero had that B2, Ex Ground Freeze reset before seriously once he gets you in the corner, you were killed but it was nerfed.. so I think that's why most Sub-Zero players felt he got robbed in exchange for an armored Ex Slide. Sub-Zero literally got destroyed by zoning characters like Skarlet (fast dagger nerfed now), Sindel fireballs it's good he got the armored Ex Slide buff because he could not slide under projectiles before which is strange when all other characters can, not real fair.

Cage F3,2~Nut Punch was nerfed.. right now he is still powerful so that nerf did nothing except easy 20% damage.

Jade's Up3 nerf... she went from mid-tier to bottom tier overnight, bad nerf plus her damage nerf, tragic.

Quan Chi needs his Rune Trap, he would be nothing without. If his Rune Trap was patched out, what does he have really? Armored Ex Teleport Stomp.. that can be punished if blocked, it would be better if it was safe on block like Sektor's Ex Teleport-Punch. Quan Chi has his fast D2 uppercut which is really good. If his Rune Trap was nerfed, what kind of buffs can you give to this character.. he would be the worst character in the game right next to Kano and Jade or even below them.

With the 'normalized dash nerf' zoning characters Kabal and Kitana became too strong full screen. You couldn't dash block, dash duck block immediately like you used to. Just look at Kabal's Instant Air Gasballs blasting away from one side of the screen to the other non-stop even throwing Ground Saws while at it, at least with Kitana you can duck her Fans no matter what but with Kabal *sighs* he's so ridiculous. That is a huge factor why Kabal is #1 in the game aside from his F4 knee reset, armored Ex Nomad Dash combo launcher (same as Sonya's Ex Cartwheel type), NDC chip pressure and fast meter builder... Kabal is the the best, history repeats itself like he was in MK3, simply the best.

I would say the same about Sonya, she is really too good like she was in MK1, history repeats like 20 years later. She gets zoned out easy but her Pink Energy Rings are good fast projectiles trading with zoners plus she advances in very fast, her up close footsies is the best. Sonya is better online though, reading complaints about Sonya's Ex Cartwheel, Dive Kick, Damage Nerf, Pink Rings here is ridiculous... chances are she will get nerfed anyway unfortunately if that happens.

If anything regarding resets in MK9 just remove Jax, Smoke and Cyrax ability to do broken damage exploits. Nerf Kabal's IAGB I'm in for. Keep Quan Chi's Rune Trap. Keep everything Kabal and Sonya the same as is. For some reason I predict that her Cartwheel might get nerfed to being combo punishable on block or her Ex Cartwheel armored properties modified, just a bad feeling. Kenshi possible nerf? Regarding buffs please fix Jade, Kano, Sindel, Sheeva etc character who need help in some way.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I will still play MK9 even if resets were removed, I like the game a lot and even after 1 year I'm still playing this game. Taking MK to online is a whole new experience so this game has longevity, die hard fans stayed and new fans were born.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
I had 4000 (know its not much) matches and no one pulled off a reset on me ever, so it's not like an every day rage factor.
There is dirty shit with every char in the game I think it's just fine as it is.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hell yeah I would, but I'm sure some folks would complain because they rely on their resets...

Nobody needs a reset to win, you're either good with a character or not at the end of the day. Resets merely make life easier.

P.S. O.P. forgot Ermac's reset but all good.

BSway

Noob
Top 6 Things I Hate About Mk9.

#6 - Cyrax's Net
#5 - The fact that NRS didnt give Reptile IAFB's (Insta Air Force Balls).
#4 - Why doesnt Kabal Have a 4 frame poke?
#3 - The fact that practice mode is almost usefull
#2 -...pending
#1 -...pending