What's new

Would You pay MK10 Online Subscription Fee to maintain Patches?

Would You pay MK10 Online Subscription Fee to maintain Patches?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You make this sound like constant patching is a good thing that everyone cares about.

Balance the game on release and you got my money. Use that money to fix bugs/glitches that break said balance.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
$10 a month to me is steep, but If they do something like XBL where you pay once and it lasts you close to a year or whatever, then sure. NRS is not godly rich like Capcom/Namco and it's pretty obvious people don't understand this

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
No, as much as people like to cry about Capcom's way of doing things I think it is ultimately the best way to handle balancing tournament fighting games.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Everybody hated the MK9 Kombat pass.

It seems that in order to play MK10 we will need:

PS4 - £350
PS+ - £40
MK10 - Potentially £50 for the Vanilla game -------------------- That's £440 already.
( Not forgetting MK10 Kollector's edition which could be £100 )
The Kombat Pass was basically a key, you could play Offline fine, but in order to play Online, you needed to pay an extra £10 to unlock the Online features that were on your disc, hence their unpopularity. My idea comes from an MMO viewpoint....

Instead of having a Kombat Pass, which I think has been scrapped for PS4 anyway, you purchase the game and then pay £10 a month to play Online. The money from this £10 a month sub fee could be used to help pay for balance patches to maintain the game. You could argue that WB/NRS has loads a money and should pay for patches themselves.... Look at Injustice.... Since IGUA came out, all the attention has been for that game. People would still be playing MK9 if it had up to date patches. Will die MK10 when Injustice 2 comes out?
Bro....lay off that shit youre fucked up on.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

So basically what you're saying is pump more money into NRS to keep a game alive through steady patching and updates?

Okay so Industry tutorial time? Business 101? Also partnered by Warner Bros. and you need more money? Lol??

Okay this seems like a pipe dream here due to what you're suggesting. Its like you hear about games with subscription fees and see that they're steady growing and expanding and having life cycles of 10 years plus. Typically those games ooze with so much content that you can play it millions of different ways and pump over 1000 hours into it and you're still in the fleshing the game out stage. A lot of MMO's out there on the subscription system have more stuff to do than one player will probably ever get accomplished in the first year. Let alone the steady booster packs / expansion packs that come over the horizon ever season. However what you have to realize is a lot of these expansions offer new features, new classes, new areas, new music, new customization options and pretty much a hell of a lot more than ANY fighting game would be able to offer and any fighting game development team could make without hurting the integrity of what made any FGSeries so popular. Unless you're going to tournaments for any game under the FGC's belt I highly doubt you'll be pumping anything over a couple of ours a day for the course of 6 months for the average person. However there are many other flaws in this I could point out but let's wrap it up on the financial sheet.

The Cons Financially: So 1 Pound is 1.56 U.S. Dollars. So since NRS is a American company lets stick with the USD. So 15$ a month.
So you're telling me every 4 months. I give NRS $60? Do I even have to continue typing? Every year I give them $180 dollars + the $60 initial purchase of the game. So $240 to play this game for a YEAR? No, you're trolling me. You have to. Also let's say the FGC is for whatever reason going to eat this business model up and support it. As we all know "monkey see, monkey do" applies heavily to the business world. If a competitor or even any develepor/publisher combination sees that someone can milk their customers, it won't be long before a domino effect pops off and other games start doing the same. Now, imagine you're playing 3 subscription based games a year under the same format.

Now to play all three for a year you have to pay 240$ times 3. Which is 720$. Since its next generation you're speaking of, you must also buy a console. We're over 1000$ already for 3 games and a console. But oh wait, I didn't even factor the yearly cost of keeping your ability to use all functions in these games. What am I talking about its obvious, we haven't even covered the expense of Xbox Live or Playstation + Which you will need to play ANY online game modes.

So essentially this would do nothing but make things immensely worse for the gamer. This is worse than what Microsoft and DH are doing with Killer Instinct. And that says quite a lot. Also you may ask now how do MMO's get away with it? As I said go play one. See all that content and how the game evolves in terms of not just gameplay, but story, music, epic battles, having a purpose of clans/guilds, running missions with friends, new missions every month. ect. ect. Its an experience that evolves and has much more to offer the playerbase. Alright I'm done rambling.

Commence Project "End Post."

$10 a month to me is steep, but If they do something like XBL where you pay once and it lasts you close to a year or whatever, then sure. NRS is not godly rich like Capcom/Namco and it's pretty obvious people don't understand this

Maybe NRS isn't, but WB, who owns them, could eat any of the other big publishers out there alive.
Seriously, funding isn't an issue here.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Maybe NRS isn't, but WB, who owns them, could eat any of the other big publishers out there alive.
Seriously, funding isn't an issue here.
WB probably can yeah, but if I want a better server, I could pay a small amount. If you have a job and want a better product, I would just pay and be done w/it? And we are talking IF this were an option, I doubt it would even happen, but since WB is only NOW caring about NRS/Fighting Games again, we'll see. They still have a ways to go but better online play, I would gladly pay

No way in hell. I would rather they release an update every year sf style. But NRS can't balance for shit so would people be willing to play an unbalanced game for a year at a time?

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I love how at the end of the second option you added "voice your ignorant opinion". Like it's ignorant to not want to pay a subscription fee to a company that obviously can't balance games properly. In MK9 you guys had Kabal, in this game we have Sueprman. The way they balance games isn't even good for tournament play. The game constantly changes every month or so. That's terrible. You have to constantly adapt to the changes being made and half of the muscle memory punishes you've spend weeks developing no longer work the same way they did yesterday. Games should not need to be patched this often. Characters should not be this broken.

Sami

Noob
No. The excuse that MS/Sony charge too much for patches shouldn't apply either as AFAIK both companies are dropping the patch charges on their next gen consoles.

£10 a month?! Fuck that shit!

£10 a year I could bear, but £10 every fucking month?

I'd stop buying NRS games for good if they had the cheek to do that tbqh.

pherleece

Woolay
I would never pay a mmo style subscription fee for a fighting game. Actually I would but I want 20 free dlc characters, 4 alternative costumes for every character including dlc, and 20 additional stages... And then maybe I'll do it

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
The problem with game design today is developers have decided its ok to cut corners and be lazy about making a game that they sell a half-assed product and patch the crap later. If you look at last gen (PS2 & X-Box era), games had to be a completed product after development, due to not having the luxury of patching, its is mainly why Capcom's model of buying a new version of the same game every year or so came from, which is also why that model is considered unsat. to most gamers today. Now a developer can put out products that have holes that can be patched up on day 1, which is total BS IMO, because you spent 60 bucks and in some cases more for an unfinished product. Look at AAA developers like Bethesda and their console versions of Oblivion and Skyrim, how many bugs, hotfixes, and glitches did those games have on release and how many are still there (Oblivion GOTY edition still has a vampire glitch which you have to own the original release to get around the issue). We as gamers back then wouldn't have put up with that kind of shit back then and we shouldn't now, but since patching exists, we should expect the game to be supported and not on our dime either. Paying extra for brand new content that is added to the game is fine, but it should never be expected of us to pay a subscription fee to ensure we have a properly balanced and bug/glitch free game.

Also, as said before if people were to buy into a model of this nature then we would see others follow suit with worse and crazier price gouging ideas. Just look at how bad things became with Capcom and their DLC insanity, such as SFxT's on disk DLC, UMvC3 coming out shortly after the release of MvC3 vanilla. KI is having a complete hay day with the consumer's wallet with charging left and right for the game and the game won't even be complete for a few years. This would set a bad example to the industry and the direction we the consumers would ever want to go. We already have to deal with being told we don't own the games we buy.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
TheSpore why is this any different than games from the arcades? Arcades patched the shit out of games. You think SF2CE was patched? Bison was one of the most godly characters in any fighting game. This has NOTHING to do w/anything from the past. Soul Calibur 3 released on PS2? I can't put in words how fucked up that game was. It was so bad they made a brand new arcade version, but the damage was done.

It's just the way games have always been, it's rare a developer releases a game w/no issues

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
TheSpore why is this any different than games from the arcades? Arcades patched the shit out of games. You think SF2CE was patched? Bison was one of the most godly characters in any fighting game. This has NOTHING to do w/anything from the past. Soul Calibur 3 released on PS2? I can't put in words how fucked up that game was. It was so bad they made a brand new arcade version, but the damage was done.

It's just the way games have always been, it's rare a developer releases a game w/no issues
The difference is that an arcade game is a pay-2-play game that you normally would not have the ability to play within the comfort of your own home and a console game is a 60 dollar product you purchase, which should be a complete product. SC3 is irrelevant to this discussion, yes so they screwed up, which does happen, but we as consumers should not have to suffer money gouging schemes on a full retail product.