What's new

Would you be in favor of MKX adopting a point system rather than record system?

Would you prefer a skill point system over a win/loss record system?

• Yes

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Basically would you prefer the online record system to be the way it is now strictly keeping track of overall wins and losses, or the way it is in a game like SF4 where there's a point system?

In SF4 you have a point system divided into two categories.

One category represents your overall skill level in general and rises or decreases to a greater or lesser degree depending on your wins/losses of opponents with greater or lesser respective skill points.

The other category is your overall skill level with a specific character. It works similarly but its value is exclusive for each character you play with and represents your overall skill with that character.

I personally greatly prefer the SF4 point system over the MK record system which only keeps track of your overall wins/losses. The point system is a much better gauge of your actual skill and helps a lot more with matchmaking and finding people of similar skill. It would also encourage people to not worry as much about playing others since points rise and fall where as your record is a permanent reminder of your win/loss ratio.

So what do you guys prefer and why?

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
The record system is fine, just add a ranking system to go with it so we can actually play against people of equal skill. I love NRS games to death but the lack of an actual ranking system really hurts online play in my opinion.

Basically would you prefer the online record system to be the way it is now strictly keeping track of overall wins and losses, or the way it is in a game like SF4 where there's a point system?

In SF4 you have a point system divided into two categories.

One category represents your overall skill level in general and rises or decreases to a greater or lesser degree depending on your wins/losses of opponents with greater or lesser respective skill points.

The other category is your overall skill level with a specific character. It works similarly but its value is exclusive for each character you play with and represents your overall skill with that character.

I personally greatly prefer the SF4 point system over the MK record system which only keeps track of your overall wins/losses. The point system is a much better gauge of your actual skill and helps a lot more with matchmaking and finding people of similar skill. It would also encourage people to not worry as much about playing others since points rise and fall where as your record is a permanent reminder of your win/loss ratio.

So what do you guys prefer and why?
mk has both and leaderboards are calculated by points/trueskill. having a rating for every char would be good. if i wanna learn a new char, i play randoms at first. they wouldnt decline me if i had bad points with this char.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
mk has both and leaderboards are calculated by points/trueskill. having a rating for every char would be good. if i wanna learn a new char, i play randoms at first. they wouldnt decline me if i had bad points with this char.
But how is true skill actually calculated in this game? My only guess is that it has to look at your win/loss record to calculate true skill. That's not as good a measurement as a point system could give imo. A high win/loss record could just mean that you beat a bunch of scrubs. But a high point system record indicates that you have beaten people also of high points since that's the only way to gain significantly more points to get that high a level.

But how is true skill actually calculated in this game? My only guess is that it has to look at your win/loss record to calculate true skill. That's not as good a measurement as a point system could give imo. A high win/loss record could just mean that you beat a bunch of scrubs. But a high point system record indicates that you have beaten people also of high points since that's the only way to gain significantly more points to get that high a level.
trueskill is on xbox and Points on ps4, ist the same Thing just different numbers (correct me if this is false for mkx, but thats how nrs did it in older games). it is calculated by your results against players with lower, equal or higher Points/TS. it has nothing to do with your bare w/l Ratio.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
SF4 still keeps tracks of your wins/losses they're just not openly displayed. MKX doesn't even have anything player-specific displayed in the actual game other than your username so everything else is superficial.

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
With all of the stats that they now maintain (longest combo, best streak, favorite character, etc.), I'd be shocked if it went soley by your W/L ratio. Since the patch, anyone that I fight where I'm <50%, I more often than not lose. Anyone that I fight where I'm >50%, I more often than not win.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
trueskill is on xbox and Points on ps4, ist the same Thing just different numbers (correct me if this is false for mkx, but thats how nrs did it in older games). it is calculated by your results against players with lower, equal or higher Points/TS. it has nothing to do with your bare w/l Ratio.
Oh, interesting I never knew it worked that way. I'd still prefer a point system though. There's just something about showing my win/loss record and the opponent's win/loss record in matchmaking that bothers me. It's like my total losses and total wins represent to the other person how good/bad I am. I lose a ton when I play characters I don't know, and I win a ton when I play my main and get matched with a bunch of weaker opponents. I just feel a point system would be better and encourage others to face each other more often rather than being worried about their record.

D

Deleted member 9158

Yeah, something like that, or nothing at all.

It would stop the constant declining and stat padding that happens online. Takes a long time to get a match sometimes because people want to protect their precious online w/l

the record system doesn't rly show your real skill
hell I have seen ppl with 1200+ wins and only 21 losses which were horrible because those ppl grinded their records up when the matchmaking was
pretty bad ( now with the patch you actually face some rly solid / only rly solid players with a record like this => more losses )
you only learn from losing. some of the best players I have played so far on PS4 (PS4 gamertag choiices 180/94 or so ) who had a bad record but
would probably be able to keep up at big tournaments without a problem
only losing makes you better / learning from your own mistakes
not your record

but if MKX would have a point system kinda like SSF4 with PP -
PP => measures the real skill and dont anybody come here tell me getting 5k PP is easy on USF4
- would be cool because that would show the actual skill of a player

only some of the best players in the world such as Daigo, Tokido, Alioune Sensei, Smug, Pepeday were able to achieve 6k PP ( player points ) in USF4
plus a few exceptions like pikachuakuma with 6k PP by boosting / cheating his way up there lol and running away from any good challenge

I hate ppl like this who do this just to boost their ego while they ***** at games

Tim Static

Adminerator
For netplay?

Online records mean absolutely nothing unless its an online tourney like ESL where money is involved and even then, there will always be an asterik because it's netplay.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
For netplay?

Online records mean absolutely nothing unless its an online tourney like ESL where money is involved and even then, there will always be an asterik because it's netplay.
It means something to people who play RECREATIONALLY and care about online enjoyment. Get over yourself with this all-or-nothing pro tournament logic.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
MKX's system is actually very skill-based right now. 1) They use an ELO system which rewards you more for beating better players, rather than collecting easy wins -- and 2) With the way the matchmaking is now, you constantly play people at or around your level.

I believe this thread was created from some misinformed assumptions about the way things work, but the system is fine.

Tim Static

Adminerator
It means something to people who play RECREATIONALLY and care about online enjoyment. Get over yourself with this all-or-nothing pro tournament logic.
No. That Pro Tourney Logic is the DNA of TYM, in case you missed it.

The majority of what you call "people who play RECREATIONALLY and care about online enjoyment" don't consider it that. Most blow it out of proportion but won't show their faces in offline events if they're lucky enough to be near one (or even start one if none exist). Be happy you can even play online at all, tho the netplay has many issues of it's own. LBSH if that's all it meant to you then you wouldn't have made this thread in the first place.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
No. That Pro Tourney Logic is the DNA of TYM, in case you missed it.

The majority of what you call "people who play RECREATIONALLY and care about online enjoyment" don't consider it that. Most blow it out of proportion but won't show their faces in offline events if they're lucky enough to be near one (or even start one if none exist). Be happy you can even play online at all, tho the netplay has many issues of it's own. LBSH if that's all it meant to you then you wouldn't have made this thread in the first place.
I have no interest in playing in tournaments. I have an interest in playing for fun online. I like playing people at my level and I like my statistics to accurately represent my level. Plain and simple.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
MKX's system is actually very skill-based right now. 1) They use an ELO system which rewards you more for beating better players, rather than collecting easy wins -- and 2) With the way the matchmaking is now, you constantly play people at or around your level.

I believe this thread was created from some misinformed assumptions about the way things work, but the system is fine.
This is what it boils down to. When you go online and get matched against someone, you see their win/loss record and they see yours. When you check the leaderboard, all you see is win/loss record.

If this was all based on a point system, people would feel much more comfortable playing. If your points go down, no big deal. You can always win more to make they go back up. When you lose in a record system, you permanently gain losses displayed on your preview in matchmaking and on leaderboards.

It creates a completely different mentality and one that is more paranoia inducing of losses than a point system would be.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol you really want a point system like SF4? where you get 1 point for winning and lose 100+ after 1 loss ~___~; that shit's infuriating..

I like the win/loss or win ratio better.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Lol you really want a point system like SF4? where you get 1 point for winning and lose 100+ after 1 loss ~___~; that shit's infuriating..

I like the win/loss or win ratio better.
That was the beauty of it. If you won against a higher skilled person, you gained more points. If you lost against a lower skilled person, you lost proportionally more points. It all balances out to where your points accurately represent your skill.

And changing the stats system will make you better? What is your point again?
My point is going to be to ignore you in this thread. Nowhere was I talking about me wanting to be better. I was talking about wanting a point system that accurately represents skill and is more encouraging towards matches.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
That was the beauty of it. If you won against a higher skilled person, you gained more points. If you lost against a lower skilled person, you lost proportionally more points. It all balances out to where your points accurately represent your skill.
Lol not really, the points only show how much you've played online. If you've played a lot you'll still have plently of points even if most your matches are losses. I've played plenty of A rank SF4 players and even players with 3500+ PP that didn't even know how to do a combo..
If anything the winrate is what can show your skill as accurately as possible.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is what it boils down to. When you go online and get matched against someone, you see their win/loss record and they see yours. When you check the leaderboard, all you see is win/loss record.

If this was all based on a point system, people would feel much more comfortable playing. If your points go down, no big deal. You can always win more to make they go back up. When you lose in a record system, you permanently gain losses displayed on your preview in matchmaking and on leaderboards.

It creates a completely different mentality and one that is more paranoia inducing of losses than a point system would be.
I'm confused here -- it IS based on a point system. You see them on the leaderboard, and that's what the rankings are done by.

There's no need to be overly sensitive about wins and losses when that's not what you're ordered by in the first place.

Personally I wouldn't mind either way, as I like the challenge of not losing. In an ELO system, you're aware that each loss will send you tumbling back down the ladder, so in either case even a single loss can be a bit of a setback. But overall, if I'm playing ranked it's just for the fun of it and not a life/death situation.