What's new

Would MKX be more popular

Arzumis

Noob
if mkx at release had this versions balance would MKX be a much more popular game comparable to capcom games
or
is NRS community too small that we could have a near perfectly balanced game and still would be small in comparison to capcom games?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
You guys do realize that NRS sold way more copies of MKX than Capcom sold of SFV, right?

This. MKX outsold SF by orders of magnitude.. and I am a SF player more-so than MK player.

Now, in terms of tournament popularity, SF is SF, but, more than balance I feel like the netcode hobbled MKX a loy from the outset. As well as the initial clusterfuck and eventual abandonment of the PC players. Had the netcode been this good (and at least for me it has seemed to be really really good) and the PC version worked and not been abandoned I feel like MKx would have a larger competitive scene. today and one more spread out, as talent would have been abke to develop in more areas that had weak/nonexistent offline scenes.

That's not to say the game doesnt/hasn't had a good sized and healthy tournament scene, just that it could be larger.

As I said before, I'm more of a SF player than MKX player, but balance and original netcode aside, MKx is a better all around game than SF by an incredible amount. Disregarding the fighting systems/styles because those are a matter of preference - MKx offered WAY more game for the money. Street Fighter is Street Fighter though and it's *the* competitive game.

I feel like NRS is well positioned though to take lessons learned with Inj and MKX and hopefully really really deliver on Inj2 and the eventual, someday MK11 - and with SF kinda treading water, and the FGC getting more and more mainstream exposure, a future game with NRS's design chops, popular formula and ability to interest casuals as well as hardcore players, could be poised to take a piece of SFs dominance.

I personally would like to see (thinking realistically) a DotA / LoL situation in the FGC where ae have two extremely dominant games that are on semi-equal footing (yes,.I know it's not literally even but both are hugely popular and pull bog money), both of which draw in players and act as ambassadors for the genre itself.. creating a snowball effect with new players. Ideally having enough gravity from their mass to support the orbit of a handful of other titles that, while not having the absolute power of the primary titles, were still large, respected, well populated and profitable for the devs and pro players.. games like Guilty Gear and the latest Blazblue, etc.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Do you realize he is talking about staying power right?
The staying power of one game doesn't matter nearly as much as the staying power of the franchise.

Mk9, Injustice, and MKX all sold a ton and were very successful. I expect no less from Injustice 2.

Matix218

Get over here!
In the FGC/tournament scene people will always have street fighter as top dog. There is no amount of quality gameplay or balance that this or any future MK game can have that will change this.

Dev.K.

Noob
Just boggles my mind how a game as polished as Guilty Gear Revelator is not more popular. Arguably one of the greatest fighting games ever, blows SF5 straight out of the water on many levels.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Capcom's fighting game scene grew over 20 years.

The 'NRS scene' as we know it (as a main/marquee FGC game) started 5 years ago. The lifeblood of competitive Capcom is also in asia, and we do not have an asian scene, nor an arcade scene any longer.

Also, not everyone digs Fatalities and the like. MK is a niche.

It's time to stop comparing apples to oranges -- NRS games have had great growth year over year, and we are growing at a rate that's appropriate for our scene. We need to focus more on making the current scene better and more engaged; not on whether we have as many entrants as a 20-years-running FGC franchise. And we need to stop leaning on things like ESL (formerly MLG) and pot bonuses, or supposed perfect balance to do the work all by themselves.

If the community is supporting itself, everything else will follow.

P.S. Community love and engagement is the reason that Melee is broken as heck but gets a ton of entrants both within the FGC and without.

Last edited:

GAV

Capcom's fighting game scene grew over 20 years.

The 'NRS scene' as we know it (as a main/marquee FGC game) started 5 years ago. The lifeblood of competitive Capcom is also in asia, and we do not have an asian scene, nor an arcade scene any longer.

Also, not everyone digs Fatalities and the like. MK is a niche.

It's time to stop comparing apples to oranges -- NRS games have had great growth year over year, and we are growing at a rate that's appropriate for our scene. We need to focus more on making the current scene better and more engaged; not on whether we have as many entrants as a 20-years-running FGC franchise. And we need to stop leaning on things like ESL (formerly MLG) and pot bonuses, or supposed perfect balance to do the work all by themselves.

If the community is supporting itself, everything else will follow.

P.S. Community love and engagement is the reason that Melee is broken as heck but gets a ton of entrants both within the FGC and without.
The competitive scene is important and SFV has a very strong competitive scene, but NRS is growing on the competitive scene and has the casual scene on lock right now.

If it wasn't for SFV's lack of sales, the new MVC game wouldn't be possible. It pushed Capcom to deal with Disney in order to get something done. Make no mistake, this isn't something everyone at Capcom was all for. Capcom needed to show the shareholders a profitable direction to keep their annual capitol since the annuities have to be down.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
I find all these characters from the anime fighters really cringe like whats the obsession with pre-teen schoolgirls. Bit weird.

Different cultures i guess.

Mortal kombat has always appealed to me for the simplicity and combos.

Its not worrying about 82 different blocks and 1 frame links, its more read reaction heavy.

I dont think having a perfectly balanced game at the start is necessarily a good thing. Patches which switch up the meta keep things fresh. As long as you're not left in the final version of the game with a lot of stupid characters and the patches during its life are fairly frequent.

Personally think though it may be more balanced this patch its slower and more boring to watch.

Half the strong characters are dull as fuck to watch.

Props to tweedy for top 8 in kombat cup but legitimately 90% of his damage was from ex df4 and 421 teleport mixes. Just an example there are plenty of characters who bad offenders

portent

Noob
As mentioned by many in this thread, this is more about MKX's staying power rather than its popularity. The sheer volume of copies sold speaks to it's popularity. Staying power has always been a problem for NRS, and that's because they don't support their games for more than 2 years at a time.

If NRS wants to see more than one of their games as main games at EVO in the same year, then they're going to need to do a few things:

1. Support MKX for 2-3 more years after INJ2 is released. This includes more DLC character packs/kombat packs or Super and Ultimate versions. Some people like physical copies, and would willingly own MKX, XL, SMKXL, UMKXL if they existed.

2a. Balance games appropriately. For the love of all things NRS, please stop listening to casuals complaining about being unable to punish things online! Don't over-nerf characters. We've been down this route before. Instead of neutering good characters, give the characters that are having problems competing the tools they need to compete. If they still can't compete, then start with the character nerfs.

2b. In a similar vein, stop trolling players with character design. By that, I mean characters like "balanced" Kenshi. Really NRS? So because he was good in MK9, you had to make him one of the worst in MKX just to say "so there!" to all the Kenshi haters. Bad look on NRS' part. Just balance the characters appropriately and stop being dicks by making characters terrible out of spite. Sometimes I feel like they purposely neuter SZ just because they think it's funny to see Tom Brady cry.

3. Good netplay from day Zero. 2016/2017. Broadband almost everywhere. GGPO/Rollback technology readily available. Why is it not implemented from day zero in every game at this point? Laziness? Spite? Who knows. What I know is that the online playground is gaining steam and becoming more and more viable for learning and grinding matchups. ESL, Kombat Cup, Capcom Cup, KI Cup. They all have online qualifiers. They're all lead-ins for players to make money and see the FGC grow as well as e-sports grow. I tend to think that NRS has this under control now with MKXL's netcode, and I hope that we will see it continue to be implemented in all their further games.

GAV

I find all these characters from the anime fighters really cringe like whats the obsession with pre-teen schoolgirls. Bit weird.

Different cultures i guess.

Mortal kombat has always appealed to me for the simplicity and combos.

Its not worrying about 82 different blocks and 1 frame links, its more read reaction heavy.

I dont think having a perfectly balanced game at the start is necessarily a good thing. Patches which switch up the meta keep things fresh. As long as you're not left in the final version of the game with a lot of stupid characters and the patches during its life are fairly frequent.

Personally think though it may be more balanced this patch its slower and more boring to watch.

Half the strong characters are dull as fuck to watch.

Props to tweedy for top 8 in kombat cup but legitimately 90% of his damage was from ex df4 and 421 teleport mixes. Just an example there are plenty of characters who bad offenders
The video game culture there generally caters to a younger audience.