What's new

Tech - Hat Trick Working with Away low Hat Trap and a Bluff

Does Above Hat Traps seems Uselles to you right now?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • What is that thing for?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Could use a buff to be actually usefull

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm tired of private information, so i decide i could discuss this in public with other Lao mains and we can figure this as we go.

So i figured yesterday, that you can safely setup an away low hat trap, out of the screen without letting your opponent know which one you set it up and work at your advantage for a vortex with HCB and J2 on crossup, which your opponent has to guess if you're doing a overhead or a low.

As you guys now, low Hat Trap is incredibly hard to setup on raw due the long recovery frames it has. So away hat trap is also equally slower on setting it up, and away low hat trap is slightly slower than away hat trap itself.

The situation itself leads to some different reactions that i noticed it can be dealed with as long as the conditions are in our favor.

There is 3 conditions to set this up, the 3rd one is optional, but it can work pretty will into your advantage if you have it:
1. The setup only works midscreen, if your in the corner, setup a regular hat trap behind them.
2. To set this up meterless, your first juggle hit must be the Spin, so anything you do into spin, go for Jk~Dive Kick, B321 Away low Hat Trap.

What this do, is set the hat out of the screen, and your opponent won't be able to see but only you will know due the input to set the trap, after you set up the low hat trap, if you cross your opponent up, you can land a J2 or J3 for a overhead, or you can HCB for a low.

The B321 combo cannot be tech rolled, so it leaves them open for the crossup itself.

You can also do both which will render some wakeups uselles with armor breaking, also, when Lao HCBs from the airbone, he floats away from the opponent, and helps to avoid some statics wakeup attacks.

3. Opponents familiar with this tactic, might want to backdash or jump back away from low, which places them further away from the crossup range, but if you have two bars, you can ex teleport to go behind reacting to their counter, and do the MB throw combo into HCB.

But the 3rd option s hard to convert from a low hat trap, this is where the Vortex Bluff comes in.

Calling a Bluff setup

Away Hat Trap recovers much faster, and allows Lao to move even earlier, so you might actually land behind someone before they input a backdash, and to a full combo into HCB.
You can set up the bluff without the two bars as well, which will produce the same results, either with ex tele MB Throw, or just a crossup, but you will lose the low option

This part is so complicated but very aplicable, i just feel that i don't have the right power to do so currently, because Hat Trick execution is currently very demanding and the char is still fairily new to me (road to a 1 month lao)

Below there is a video of me trying to apply this on actual battle, but still needs some work, i'm pretty sure you guys can help me out on this and we might actually have a pretty good tech here.

On the first try, i messed up my awareness of the B321 punish so the spin ended up whiffing.
The second time, i HCB earlier miss calculating that he would just backdash, so if i had run into crossup J2, i would have land a clean punish.

The 3rd time he breaked away because he knew i could go on untill i switch the setup myself.
Video will be up soon.

From the research i did yesterday, i noticed that there is also another way to set this up with some good damage which is by doing B22~Hat Trap~ex HCB, B321~ALHT/AHT(bluff) which produces the same result midscreen.

But the setup itself works different on every character, so there are some where you might need to jump backwards to catch them near your trap and convert a combo.

I'm asking to get familiarized with this if needed, and then test on every possible character, i currently don't believe it will be useful against everyone, but i can see a list of characters where this can be used more, tomorrow i will make a more elaborated video of this tech from all that i have explained here.

@I GOT HANDS
@ETC Mcfly
@A F0xy Grampa
@coolwhip
@Just2Swift
@The PantyChrist
@Peckapowa
@Protagonist_1
@SneakyTortoise

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I love watching you play.

But I don't understand. It's early as hell so it's probably just me, I couldn't really understand all the words at the moment so I watched the video and still feel a bit confused. Why can't they just crouch block after the J2?

Also, just adding to this, you can set whatever this is up off a couple of other things for no real tradeoff as well, doing the same damage or more than any other option that lets you set-up a hat.

25% Meterless - 11212xxSpin, JiKxDK, B321xxHat Trap
25% Meterless - F23xxSpin, JiKxDK, B321xxHat Trap
27% Meterless - JiKxxDK, 1, B32xxSpin, B321xxHat Trap

All useful midscreen strings ^

Reactions: GAV

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I love watching you play.

But I don't understand. It's early as hell so it's probably just me, I couldn't really understand all the words at the moment so I watched the video and still feel a bit confused. Why can't they just crouch block after the J2?

Also, just adding to this, you can set whatever this is up off a couple of other things for no real tradeoff as well, doing the same damage or more than any other option that lets you set-up a hat.

25% Meterless - 11212xxSpin, JiKxDK, B321xxHat Trap
25% Meterless - F23xxSpin, JiKxDK, B321xxHat Trap
27% Meterless - JiKxxDK, 1, B32xxSpin, B321xxHat Trap

All useful midscreen strings ^
If trying to figure this out and if it can really be usefull, even if they want to crouch block, you get guaranteed chip, you place them between you and the hat, throw, although Lao doesn't have a real overhead starter, it doesn't stop him to build meter fast and invite his opponents to press buttons.

I GOT HANDS

So whats the difference in setting up Low Hat or not though, if they want to block one can they not just block both with crouch block, is all I'm wondering?

Also, once you are in the air, are you saying the mix-up is either, Ji2 OR Air Hat Callback (off a low Hat), for a 50/50? Because that's pretty damn awesome if it is, but is it reactable? I know it is good even if it is, just wondering if the Low Hat can be reacted (not fuzzy/frame guarded but genuinely recognised and reacted)

I'll definitely be making myself familiar with this regardless

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So whats the difference in setting up Low Hat or not though, if they want to block one can they not just block both with crouch block, is all I'm wondering?

Also, once you are in the air, are you saying the mix-up is either, Ji2 OR Air Hat Callback (off a low Hat), for a 50/50? Because that's pretty damn awesome if it is, but is it reactable? I know it is good even if it is, just wondering if the Low Hat can be reacted (not fuzzy/frame guarded but genuinely recognised and reacted)
That is exactly what i'm saying, and trying to figure it out.

You mix with J2, or J3, or air HCB for the low.

Not sure if can be reacted, but blocking the J2, allows Lao to do a lot of chip with the HCB on the look out.

I GOT HANDS

Exactly, and it's about as good as follow up pressure as they come. I'll play around with it today. Very nice set-up for those combos that end in B321. Wondering, is it worth sacrificing 1-2% off some of the other combos to go for this ender?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. This would be even more disgusting if he had an overhead starter without hat though :(

I think because you're placing the hat so far away it's going to be reactable when it's coming back because of the time it'll take to come back unfortunately so maybe if there's a way to get them back over towards it but still not be able to see it then it'd be more effective. It's a great idea but unless they made it come back quicker or he got an overhead starter without hat it's only going to be so good for so long I reckon. But that's just Hat Trick in general lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Exactly, and it's about as good as follow up pressure as they come. I'll play around with it today. Very nice set-up for those combos that end in B321. Wondering, is it worth sacrificing 1-2% off some of the other combos to go for this ender?
I'm playing around with it, 25% to 27% meterless optimal damage is sick IMO.

But as far as i'm testing, this doesn't work on Raiden all away low hat traps are on Raiden's favor due his wakeups being too good, the bluff seems to only work into an extent, which it looks to me far more produtive against raiden.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@I GOT HANDS, i'm starting to believe this is the setup to go when the opponent is on the extended Cooldown stamina refill, since they can't tech roll, they won't be able to back dash either so they get stuck into this.

Although you can still bluff the setup and ex teleport into MB Throw to drag them back closer to the Hat for a combo.

I GOT HANDS

I played around with it in the lab today, to help myself comprehend what this actually is a bit better. So basically:

If you plan on going for the overhead, you set up a regular trap after B321, and follow up with [Cross-Up, JiP, B321xxHCB, 4xxSpin, JiKxxDk, 21] for 36%

If you plan on going for the low, you set up low trap after B321, and follow up with, [Cross-Up, Air-HCB, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDk, 21] for 29%

Am I getting this right Eddy? And because the Hat Toss happens off screen, its almost impossible for your opponent to tell if it's a Low Hat or a Regular Hat trap, meaning it's not at all telegraphed which one you'll be going for

This seems really clever, I'll definitely be trying to incorporate it into my game to follow up hard on all B321 enders.

Youphemism

I played around with it in the lab today, to help myself comprehend what this actually is a bit better. So basically:

If you plan on going for the overhead, you set up a regular trap after B321, and follow up with [Cross-Up, JiP, B321xxHCB, 4xxSpin, JiKxxDk, 21] for 36%

If you plan on going for the low, you set up low trap after B321, and follow up with, [Cross-Up, Air-HCB, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDk, 21] for 29%

Am I getting this right Eddy? And because the Hat Toss happens off screen, its almost impossible for your opponent to tell if it's a Low Hat or a Regular Hat trap, meaning it's not at all telegraphed which one you'll be going for

This seems really clever, I'll definitely be trying to incorporate it into my game to follow up hard on all B321 enders.
But it doesn't matter what hat callback it is because neither of them hits overhead so you just always block it low and you're covered :/ as I said it would be a more effective mixup if the callback didn't take so long but because of the position you're in compared to the hat it becomes reactable unfortunately.

(Also it's the away hat trap and away low hat trap, not sure if that's what you meant in the bits I made bold)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
But it doesn't matter what hat callback it is because neither of them hits overhead so you just always block it low and you're covered :/ as I said it would be a more effective mixup if the callback didn't take so long but because of the position you're in compared to the hat it becomes reactable unfortunately.

(Also it's the away hat trap and away low hat trap, not sure if that's what you meant in the bits I made bold)
If you block low to avoid the hat, when lao crosses you he will hit you with J2, which is a overhead.
But indeed the away low hat trap and the away trap takes so damn long to recover, if he had the same recover of the hat trap this would be a real mixup 24/7

The mid Away hat trap bluffs because allows Lao to recover much faster, so if they expect a low, and don't block right, or try to do something stupid like back dash, they will open themselves up for the ex teleport into mB grab which will put lao behind them with the hat floating waiting for a HCB on a combo.

That is why i see this happen more on extended cooldowns, because the opponent's mobility is cut for a very long time and this mixup becomes a real danger.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

I didn't understand it at first either. But its not the Hat Traps that are the mix-up. The mix up is going either J2 (Overhead) or Air Hat Callback (Low), and the Hat Trap is only relevant to the combo. You have decided once you put your Hat out whether you are going for Overhead or Low, because the regular hat is necessary to get any damage off the overhead hat opener, and the Low hat is necessary to go Low at all. Now this would obviously be telegraphed to your opponent if they could look at the hat, which is why so important that forward advancing nature of the hits on B321 and the way the camera works, conceals which Hat you went for even tho you are right next to them in immediate cross-up range, which is why I said I think it's a very clever interaction :p

Now, whether or not it's REACTABLE is another matter but as Eddy also mentioned, worst case scenario if they block is that it is still chip and meter and is safe on block, so meh whatever, and even the pro's get caught by reactable openers every now and again.

Last edited:

Youphemism

If you block low to avoid the hat, when lao crosses you he will hit you with J2, which is a overhead.
But indeed the away low hat trap and the away trap takes so damn long to recover, if he had the same recover of the hat trap this would be a real mixup 24/7

The mid Away hat trap bluffs because allows Lao to recover much faster, so if they expect a low, and don't block right, or try to do something stupid like back dash, they will open themselves up for the ex teleport into mB grab which will put lao behind them with the hat floating waiting for a HCB on a combo.

That is why i see this happen more on extended cooldowns, because the opponent's mobility is cut for a very long time and this mixup becomes a real danger.
That's why I'm saying block low on reaction to the hat callback, don't just block low the whole time (although he doesn't have any overheads without hat besides a very obvious jump in). I'm pretty sure I said before he just needs a little bit more of a reduction on the recovery frames of his traps and callbacks then I think he could have some pretty dirty stuff :)
I didn't understand it at first either. But its not the Hat Traps that are the mix-up. The mix up is going either J2 (Overhead) or Air Hat Callback (Low), and the Hat Trap is only relevant to the combo. You have decided once you put your Hat out whether you are going for Overhead or Low, because the regular hat is necessary to get any damage off the overhead hat opener, and the Low hat is necessary to go Low at all. Now this would obviously be telegraphed to your opponent if they could look at the hat, which is why so important that forward advancing nature of the hits on B321 and the way the camera works, conceals which Hat you went for even tho you are right next to them in immediate cross-up range, which is why I said I think it's a very clever interaction :p

Now, whether or not it's REACTABLE is another matter but as Eddy also mentioned, worst case scenario if they block is that it is still chip and meter and is safe on block, so meh whatever, and even the pro's get caught by reactable openers every now and again.
I know what the mixup is, I was pointing out that because you're so far from the hat in this situation the callback becomes easier to react to and block which sucks. Even then concealing which trap you went for doesn't help that much because there's only the mid and low options too so if you see him call it back you just block low and it covers both callback options (which I also mentioned).

I GOT HANDS

That's why I'm saying block low on reaction to the hat callback, don't just block low the whole time (although he doesn't have any overheads without hat besides a very obvious jump in). I'm pretty sure I said before he just needs a little bit more of a reduction on the recovery frames of his traps and callbacks then I think he could have some pretty dirty stuff :)

I know what the mixup is, I was pointing out that because you're so far from the hat in this situation the callback becomes easier to react to and block which sucks. Even then concealing which trap you went for doesn't help that much because there's only the mid and low options too so if you see him call it back you just block low and it covers both callback options (which I also mentioned).
Yeah, this is probably accurate. It is definitely reactable but it is still a mix-up that might just catch someone off guard.

How about this for a different follow up

[JiP, 44, RC, B3xxHCB, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDk 21] = 39%
[JiP, 4xxHCB, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDk 21] = 40%

After the 4, the follow up 4 is Overhead, or the HCB is Low.

It's still reactable, but less so than the other version since the 4 pushes them a bit closer, does about 4.5% chip and builds a quarter of a bar, and has bigger payoffs if it connects. Seems slightly better.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Yeah, this is probably accurate. It is definitely reactable but it is still a mix-up that might just catch someone off guard.

How about this for a different follow up

[JiP, 44, HCB, B321, JiKxxDk 21] = 36%
[JiP, 4xxHCB, B321, JiKxxDk 21] = 40%

After the 4, the follow up 4 is Overhead, or the HCB is Low.

It's still reactable, but less so than the other version since the 4 pushes them a bit closer, does about 4.5% chip and builds a quarter of a bar, and has bigger payoffs if it connects. Seems slightly better.
I am erect interested...I'll lab that tomorrow! I think you might be missing spin after HCB or B321 though :p

I GOT HANDS

Whoops yep the spins come out directly after the B321 haha. It seems much better looking at this, because setting the AI to do it the other way, I could just react to the point blank range Air HCB, and uppercut them out of it, and that cancels the HCB and puts it right back on his head. God knows what most of the cast could get out of it with an anti-air combo opener.

The second combo does more damage because after the 4, the Low Hat doesn't link, resetting the combo. So as I said it's reactable, but still, LESS SO than the other version.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Ok now as another option in a similar vein.... how about going Forward Low Hat after a B321?

This gives us a TRUE 50/50. Damage includes chip, and assumes they block the "JiP, 4", but the 50/50 goes through.

[JiP, 4xHCB, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDk, 21] = 32% - Low Mix-Up
[JiP, 44, B321] = 19% - Overhead Mix-Up

Jump in isn't necessary but only the faster uppercuts can compete with it. Now, the returns are obviously lower on the Overhead mix up because you left your hat off, BUT you can cancel that B321 into a Teleport, putting you them directly between you and that Low Hat you didn't use, and giving you a completely safe TP-3 starter (beats out Tempest's 7 frame meterless spin, and anybodys S1's and D1's), and if that connects (aka if they tried to do anything but Block or Armour) you can put them right back in the mix with the Low Hat behind them once again! Finding the follow combo to this was a bit difficult, the spacing is obviously completely consistent, but it needed to combo off a Low Hat so I had to find something that put them low enough to the ground to do so, but here it is:

[TP-3, 44, RC, B3xxHCB, 4xxSpin, JiKxxDK, 21] = 41%

If they block the teleport 3 however, you are at -10, but that's fairly safe (a lot safer than any other teleports, including Kung Lao's when not used like this!) and if they don't manage to punish it, they are in between you and a Low Hat, so that's never a bad thing. But seeing as they see the teleport as they down, it might provoke the standard responses to Kung Lao's teleports, like thinking they can wake up with jabs, which will get beat out HARD.

Just thought I'd throw out this different option.

Last edited:

D4G

Win At All Cost
Man that video brought tears to my eyes, I've never even touched any variation other than Buzzsaw. But that video is making me reconsider Hat Trick, no one knows anything about the character so the blowups will be real :eek: