What's new

With MK12 on the horizon.. it is time once again to think of input devices.... what will you use and why?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I've always wanted to make my own but I am about as handy as rhinoceros. It just seems all to hard... also with importing all the parts from all over the palce and multipul shipments across the world.. it isn't that much cheaper than buying a pre-made.
It almost certainly isn't cheaper. If you order all pre-made housing and PCB buttons and Wiring then maybe you would likely be over most units.

Generally the wiring doesn't really require soldering since say the Brook boards typically come with headers that will screw down and clamp the wires. With stuff that is all intended to go together the difficulty shouldn't be all that high.

Doing what I did though took prototyping, and enough materials and buying equipment that eventually adds up to way, way more than just buying something. Wasn't about saving money and couldn't really be recommended as a path to that.

My first box was built into a magnetic, decorative flip top box typically sold at craft stores. Used a cheap PCB and button kit that only worked on PC. That probably only cost about $60 to make. With a basic Brook board and decent buttons maybe it could be done for around or just over 100$. And it would basically be in a barely better than cardboard box.

It was fun though, and I have something that uniquely suits my wants and needs.

JRF

n00b
probably the most expensive stick on the market, but definitely does the job. I don't feel the need for it as i feel like whoever has a Hori Fighting Edge it's propbably 2ms off, which it's under a micro of a frame lmao.

one thing about precision sticks, once you are confident that you can pull anything off, all bets are off, your opponent can't even think about daring you to do something when needed, it's like lightning a match near a gasoline tank.

i have a ps4 hori hayabusa for tekken 7, and when i'm all warmed up i can do 14f perfect electrics on a -14 moves, because the muscle memory its so imprinted on the wrist by that time, that being fast doesn't even matter or becomes part of the conversation when it comes down to punishment.
Sure it's expensive, but why not treat yourself to something awesome once in awhile?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Sure it's expensive, but why not treat yourself to something awesome once in awhile?
If you can afford it, i don't see why you wouldn't.

Angolan ppl live a different life that's all, i mean i earn 200 dollars a month for living, and there are ppl who earn much much less, imagine saving up 350 dollars for a stick in a world like mine, that's literally luxury.

Art Lean

Noob
Unless I can somehow afford a PS5, I'll be having to buy it for my son's PC anyway.

Got the MKX Fighting Pad and the Hori Fighting Commander for that already, both of which I bought specifically to play with MK9, so will just stick with those.

I prefer the PS4 pad the most though, feels just as good as the SNES pad did for MKs 1-3, but it never connects properly with the PC even wired, keeps disconnecting. So I'm not expecting I'll ever get even remotely good at MK12 regardless since I just can't get used to my two PC pads anyway.

Unless I can somehow afford a PS5, I'll be having to buy it for my son's PC anyway.

Got the MKX Fighting Pad and the Hori Fighting Commander for that already, both of which I bought specifically to play with MK9, so will just stick with those.

I prefer the PS4 pad the most though, feels just as good as the SNES pad did for MKs 1-3, but it never connects properly with the PC even wired, keeps disconnecting. So I'm not expecting I'll ever get even remotely good at MK12 regardless since I just can't get used to my two PC pads anyway.
Your Hori Fighting Commander, is it the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One version?

Playstation, liked that it could do both PS4 and PC by default, though ultimately ended up never using it on PS4 as I like the normal Dualshock's d-pad too much.
Ah, okay. If you had the Xbox version, you could remap the buttons from the Controller itself, allowing you to create a more traditional, non-6 face button layout. That's what I did an no issues using the pad.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
ps5 controller of course. My smooth brain wouldn't be able to handle trying to learn a new way to play. Especially not on a hitbox, y'all wildin' with that. Why not just use a keyboard :DOGE

subzert

Frozen Soul
Standard DualSense controller for me. Before, I wanted fight sick so badly but then i saw that pretty much all the top NRS players use standard controllers.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Pad cause I'm broke and mk is no king of fighters, I only have problems with tick throws
once you factor in all the replacement pads you need to buy to cover broken pads or malfunctioning pads (drift) a box of some kind, arcade, hit, mix, fight isn't actually that much more expensive. Aquaman and R1p, for example, were talking about how Aqua had to replace his ps4 pad 9 times during the life of MK11 and R1p had a simlar story.... arcade boxes are super sturdy and will last a long time. I'm still using my stick for SF I got at the start of SF4 (pc)

once you factor in all the replacement pads you need to buy to cover broken pads or malfunctioning pads (drift) a box of some kind, arcade, hit, mix, fight isn't actually that much more expensive. Aquaman and R1p, for example, were talking about how Aqua had to replace his ps4 pad 9 times during the life of MK11 and R1p had a simlar story.... arcade boxes are super sturdy and will last a long time. I'm still using my stick for SF I got at the start of SF4 (pc)
I can relate to that. Doing electrics destroyed the right button on my Dualsense. Pads are too damn expensive where I live

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Pad. Will probably get a ps5 and use that controller but if the ps5 controller is shit like I suspect it will be I’ll do a xbone controller with converter (if possible or whatever is closest to that).
I personally love the DualSense. Super comfortable and I think it is miles better than the DualShock4.

I also ordered a Victrix Pro BFG though to see how that works out. Should be here Monday. Even though it got scanned in to my city yesterday at like 3am. Delivery got updated to yesterday and then they just decided they were gonna make me wait until Monday anyway. I was gonna test it on the sf6 beta but they fucked that right up lol.

They need to fix the issue when you use button combination inputs causing it to triggering intractables
They need to just remove the interactables entirely. It was fun while it lasted. At least they're not Inj1 overpowered anymore but still. I almost never use them when I'm playing.

Jynks

I ended up ordering a FightBox.... they have a metric ton of options... but decided to go for the universal.

It has the mix box style movements, plus an extra up to make it like the traditional hitbox.... and then also has a joystick if I want to use that... works on pc and ps5 (native)

Jynks

Also picked up a "MAYFLASH ARCADE STICK F500 Elite" for my nephew as a beginner stick. This works on PC and PS5 via a dongle. It is a mid tier stick, more to the low end.. but not dirt cheap.

The dongel allows it to run on his switch as well as a bunch of other systems he dose not have. In truth, this is kinda more for me when I go babysit. lol. Still if you can't indoctrinate your kids or your brothers kids.. what is the fucking point of them!

Get on stick ya and fight me!!