What's new

With MK12 on the horizon.. it is time once again to think of input devices.... what will you use and why?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So MK12 is on the horizon... PC is now a legit option, and we have the usual Ps5 and Xbox... personally I do not think it will be released on ps4 or the old xbox.... we will see, I guess.

There are 4 Major input devices I know of....
  1. Arcade Stick
  2. HitBox
  3. MixBox
  4. GamePad (Lots of sub-options here)

Jynks

Personally, I have been using a mixbox for most of MK11's life. MixBoxs are sort of invented specifically for Tekken by the Tekken community. I ran a HitBox in MKx and IJ2, but I came to disliked the base design philosophy of the HitBox. As a big guy (I'm 6'5) the tiny buttons annoy me but the real issue was that my brain just can't get to grips with that thumb button jump thing, splitting the movement over two hands.

What I love about the MixBox is that it has "proper", standard arcade buttons sizes and layouts, while still retaining that neat "HitBox" style input. This made transitioning from Arcade Stick, which used to be my main input device, a lot easier. The downside of course is that it is that "w,a,s,d" thing. I mean it is very cool, but I would prefer normal buttons.

There is a new MixBox making round at the moment called PXN X8... it is a budget controller coming in at 60usd. If you are interested in trying the controller then this would be a good option. It is a cheap one, like it dose not use proper Sanwa buttons... but it is "apparently" pretty good if you want to try out the idea of this controller and not spend the 400 for the pro-level MixBox Arcade.

There are a lot of strange, super high quality hitBox type things out now, like the Enth NE-KRCK. Still these actually enhance what I dislike about the HitBox. My brain is old.. I ain't making new neural pathways easy. I don't want to "play the controller" like a piano with all my fingers doing crazy independent thing. I like ...one had input, one hand buttons and basic default game layouts (or slightly tweaked in NRS's case) These super fance hitboxs are just not my thing.

Let's not forget that Diago's custom hitbox for SFIV was banned by Capcom.. so learning one of these is a big question mark if you plan to attend events.

If I was technically able I would build my own HitBox using the standard 8 arcade buttons on the right and then use nice smaller HitBox style buttons to make the "w,a,s,d" area. Sort of combining the two worlds.

Jynks

Did you get the cross up or smash? I think the other one is the same model as before right?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Normally I play NRS games on pad, stick for everything else.

However I switched to leverless from stick a few months ago as I am getting older and already have wrist problems and stick is too hard on my left arm. I will give an honest go of using leverless for MK12, hopefully its got the good cheater juice options.

Attachments

Jynks

I just can't stand that thumb jump button. My brain just can't get it that I am pressing UP and not DOWN as it is lower than the other ones.

Pad. Will probably get a ps5 and use that controller but if the ps5 controller is shit like I suspect it will be I’ll do a xbone controller with converter (if possible or whatever is closest to that).

I’m frightened and confused by your fancy bright hitbox things.

Jynks

Found a place that is apparently good.. I got the link from r/fightsticks on reddit...

I think I am going to buy one of these.... it is basically exactly what I was looking for.. a mixbox but with movment buttons that make more sense to me. They also make a huge variaty of controllers here... like mixboxes, smashboxes, hitboxes, arcade sticks and even cobo ones .. like a hitbox, but also with a arcade stick so it is both..

They also do 100% custom setups, as in button layouts, size, sticks... etc...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I was born a Stick player, and when i got adviced to go back to in when i joined TYM, i don't think that will change, i'm sticking to it.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'll probably use a PS5 controller, unless it feels good to play it on stick. Still got the one I customized from IJ2 with a Cassie graphic lmao.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Xbox pad, I haven't used a Hitbox in 8 years (give or take) & I only use fightsticks for UMK3 or VF.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Xbox controller, it’s what I’m used to and I’m not near good enough at fighting games to where input device will be a limiting factor for me.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I make my own sickless. They are big, beautiful, and imperfect(pics somewhere on site). I started with some cheep stuff to figure out if I could get used to it and what the spacings should be. I didn't like the look of a Hitbox with next to no spacing between the hands, so I rested my hands down on a surface like I wanted to play and went from there. I did end up going with the 24mm buttons like a hitbox after getting severe cramping trying to use 30mm buttons within a couple minutes of playing on a testing unit.

One thing I didn't know about the hitbox at all was the whole thing about the thumb button being up. I didn't wire it like that. Thumb button is down and it's staying that way.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I make my own sickless. They are big, beautiful, and imperfect(pics somewhere on site). I started with some cheep stuff to figure out if I could get used to it and what the spacings should be. I didn't like the look of a Hitbox with next to no spacing between the hands, so I rested my hands down on a surface like I wanted to play and went from there. I did end up going with the 24mm buttons like a hitbox after getting severe cramping trying to use 30mm buttons within a couple minutes of playing on a testing unit.

One thing I didn't know about the hitbox at all was the whole thing about the thumb button being up. I didn't wire it like that. Thumb button is down and it's staying that way.
Where is that thread again? I think I've seen it before but I'm curious now lmao.

I wanna play stick but I don't wanna have to lug around my Obsidian if I got to offline events.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'll probably use a PS5 controller, unless it feels good to play it on stick. Still got the one I customized from IJ2 with a Cassie graphic lmao.
it takes up a few months to get used to it, but it's worth it, i'm on the verge of dominating my new stick before tekken 8, mk12 and sf6

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I've only ever tried DualShock and Xbox pads and they're usually perfect for me never reslly have any problems. Took me a while to get used to Xbox One but now It's fine. So I'll be using that on PC

Hitboxes and other similar things looks so uncomfortable for me. I've never tried one, but the clunkiness, loud clicking noise and the layout and big buttons I just don't think I'd like at all. If I get the chance to try one I will but I ain't gonna fix what ain't broke and buy one.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
probably the most expensive stick on the market, but definitely does the job. I don't feel the need for it as i feel like whoever has a Hori Fighting Edge it's propbably 2ms off, which it's under a micro of a frame lmao.

one thing about precision sticks, once you are confident that you can pull anything off, all bets are off, your opponent can't even think about daring you to do something when needed, it's like lightning a match near a gasoline tank.

i have a ps4 hori hayabusa for tekken 7, and when i'm all warmed up i can do 14f perfect electrics on a -14 moves, because the muscle memory its so imprinted on the wrist by that time, that being fast doesn't even matter or becomes part of the conversation when it comes down to punishment.

Reactions: JRF

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Bat-top stick with the concave buttons.

MixBox looks cool though. I might have to try one out.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Where is that thread again? I think I've seen it before but I'm curious now lmao.

I wanna play stick but I don't wanna have to lug around my Obsidian if I got to offline events.
It's quite a feat finding anything. Seems appropriate to repost.
Really just made from craft supplies. Very light give their size, but still pretty sturdy. Not steel sturdy, but my main one has been holding up to daily use for pushing 3 years I think.

Most Recent

One I use the most

Attachments

Jynks

I've always wanted to make my own but I am about as handy as rhinoceros. It just seems all to hard... also with importing all the parts from all over the palce and multipul shipments across the world.. it isn't that much cheaper than buying a pre-made.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator