What's new

Will MK12 Have A Battle Pass?

Like a lot of things, battle passes (or even microtransactions) can be a good thing if done well. Free to Play games can really benefit from a Battle pass, and even a game with a base price can benefit. It gives the game developers a reason to keep supporting the game. Microtransactions and battle passes can also help keep the base price lower than it might otherwise be, but that's a harder concept for some people to understand. Too often though I think it's easy to get cynical and see stuff as mainly a cash grab.
This is a very rational way of thinking.

Most likely. Heck even Diablo has a Battle Pass now.
Yeah, what's holding me back from Diablo IV right now is more the persistent online world of it, where I prefer playing Diablo solo; always have. I'll wait a year or so and see how the game is doing, and then maybe snag it. On PC, since you require Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus even to play the game on console since there's no single player mode.

Another shame as I prefer playing on console.

With respect to a Battle Pass for Mortal Kombat, if it's truly all cosmetic stuff that I can simply ignore outright, and it doesn't affect competitive play or even casual play, then I'll do just that: ignore it.

Cosmetics have never been a huge thing for me, I'm the guy who when playing an RPG where you can heavily customize your character, I take the default or a pre-configured look and just start playing. For Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, I was actually satisified with almost every characters default look, though I did Kustomize to make them look like they did in Story Mode and Klassic Skins.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I guess to me the interesting question is whether games have an obligation to make everything entirely unlockable for everyone, given enough hours of grinding, or if it's ok to have some pretty tough requirements which might make it really difficult or effectively exclude someone from unlocking something?

I totally respect where @Cobainevermind87 is coming from, but technically you are able to unlock the thing by playing the game, the issue is simply when you personally are able to play the game.

Should games just not have event or time exclusive content unlocks?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
As long as you can just unlock levels passively by simply playing ANY MODE of the game you'd like, I'd have no issue with it. Towers fucking BLOW. Kombat League sucked. Well.....maybe Kombat League only sucked because MK11 bored me to tears and I didn't want to play it.

WB/NRS know that MK fans will pay a LOT of money for something as simple as like....a Shao Kahn skin where he isn't wearing his helmet. I know this because I'm one of those people.

I would love for the shit to just be unlocked randomly in the Krypt, but lord knows there's even more money to be made here so I have low expectations. I would anticipate an even worse grind in the upcoming game for the items you want. The fact that there are dozens of Brutalities I don't have in a game I paid full price for it's mind-boggling. It's on the fucking disc! At least let me unlock it by playing modes I enjoy!!!!!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I expect all the scumbag tactics from current year WB. Battlepass, microtransactions, loot boxes, day -100 DLC, twitch celebrity cameos, etc, etc.
good lord, please no twitch celebrity cameos. Rhonda and her garbage voice acting was enough.

Quit putting garbage into my MK games! NO MORE GUEST CHARACTERS, NO MORE GUEST VAs, NO MORE GUEST ANYTHING!!!!!!!! DHAUGF:AUDSFGIEDGF :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
good lord, please no twitch celebrity cameos. Rhonda and her garbage voice acting was enough.

Quit putting garbage into my MK games! NO MORE GUEST CHARACTERS, NO MORE GUEST VAs, NO MORE GUEST ANYTHING!!!!!!!! DHAUGF:AUDSFGIEDGF :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
One, maybe two guest characters per game would be perfect. Freddy, Jason, and Predator were all good choices for a fighting game, especially MK. But they took it too far.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'll take guests over 3D era (Deadly Alliance through Armageddon) characters any day.
I don't want any of those bums either. Almost all of them except for Quan Chi and Kenshi are terrible (I know Quan was in MK4), but missing classics like Ermac and Reptile, or cooler new ones like Takeda for all these awful guest characters is what bugs me. Spawn or maybe Terminator were the only worthwhile choices. Guest characters are cool if they're not overdone, like Yoda, Darth Vader, and Starkiller in Soulcalibur 4 was pretty cool to me.

I don't want any of those bums either. Almost all of them except for Quan Chi and Kenshi are terrible (I know Quan was in MK4), but missing classics like Ermac and Reptile, or cooler new ones like Takeda for all these awful guest characters is what bugs me. Spawn or maybe Terminator were the only worthwhile choices. Guest characters are cool if they're not overdone, like Yoda, Darth Vader, and Starkiller in Soulcalibur 4 was pretty cool to me.
I honestly don't have an issue with most of the new characters from Mortal Kombat 4, and while it's technically the first 3D game in the franchise, I don't consider it part of the 3D era since the overall formula and gameplay is still very much in the style of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Having said that, guest characters are huge, huge sellers so they're not going anywhere and that's just the reality. Again, I expect we'll see a few more guests added as we do every game.

So if we have to choose between guests or 3D era characters, I choose guests because that leaves more spots for good klassic characters.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I honestly don't have an issue with most of the new characters from Mortal Kombat 4, and while it's technically the first 3D game in the franchise, I don't consider it part of the 3D era since the overall formula and gameplay is still very much in the style of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Having said that, guest characters are huge, huge sellers so they're not going anywhere and that's just the reality. Again, I expect we'll see a few more guests added as we do every game.

So if we have to choose between guests or 3D era characters, I choose guests because that leaves more spots for good klassic characters.
Guests are definitely coming back for the reasons you said. I just don’t know who there’s gonna be. They really were scraping the bottom of the barrel in MK11. MKX and 9 had better guests.

They really were scraping the bottom of the barrel in MK11.
You're certainly showing your age here ;).

As far as guests go, The Terminator, Spawn, and Joker were excellent guests. Robocop was good (as a character, I loathe fighting against him), and Rambo is a dud, both as a character and in gameplay.

For Mortal Kombat XL, loved Alien and Predator, didn't care at all for Jason and Leatherface. As a huge Alien and Predator fan, these were my fav franchise guests.

For Mortal Kombat (2011), Kratos was platform specific and banned from competitive play and I didn't care for Freddy at all.

We'll see what theme they pick for the new game, as last was mostly action heroes/comic characters and before that it was horror movie characters.