What's new

Will MK12 Have A Battle Pass?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Let's face it, every freaking game coming out seems to have a battle pass these days. Not to mention a game that's also being released by WB this year, Suicide Squad, is going to have one. I personally don't mind them for FREE TO PLAY GAMES, because you can choose to spend money on it if you like the game and want to support it. But for a game you have to pay for full price? That's just complete and utter greed.

What do you guys think?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I just hope we can unlock everything by playing ranked matches online, or by paying 20 or 30 bucks if we so choose.

Not being able to unlock that last brute (ofc it's the best one as well) for your character simply because it's locked behind a timed tower that's only up for an hour or two hours while you're at work during the day? No other way to to unlock it besides these timed towers? That's bullshit.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Can someone explain to me how Battlepasses work?

Old-man-me has never used one.
You pay some type of timed subscription (Monthy, Yearly, whatever) and in return you get content.

Some games will have it where you get access to additional costumes, or loot boxes, or characters, or whatever. Sometimes it's a way to gain access to an exclusive gaming event, like a special boss raid, or something.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Let's face it, every freaking game coming out seems to have a battle pass these days. Not to mention a game that's also being released by WB this year, Suicide Squad, is going to have one. I personally don't mind them for FREE TO PLAY GAMES, because you can choose to spend money on it if you like the game and want to support it. But for a game you have to pay for full price? That's just complete and utter greed.

What do you guys think?
It has been a thing ever since MK9/SF4 Era, though i think, Japanese Fighting Games (Capcom / Namco) has nailed this, which makes the purchase a lot more doable and honest.
Over the span of a year, they announce the developement plan, it usually goes something like this:

Game release

Battle Pass Anoouncement with a developement plan (which characters will be on the pass, what stages, when they plan on release patches, special events, and vids talking about what is being developed)
Chartacters that will be in a battle pass
Tournaments that will roll before the the first character reveal
As tournaments are held, dev team is looking closely to the game rolling out in public and scout who's broken, what can be improved or changed, the other side it's working to get the character ready for deployement
Scheaduled release date arrives
Character DLC character gets released with a new balance patch and a new stage (this one is optional)

And it's a cycle that loops into itself.

When it finishes, they announce a new season and do all over again.
As result season 1 becomes slightly cheaper, and the new season they gather a new plan, this time, they even add more tools to the already existing roster, sometimes they add new mechanics to fresh up the game and it keeps rolling

Season 3, they do the season 2 step again, and so on, but it's a project that it's usually planned for a yearly run.

As a consumer, you know right from the get go, what you will get with each patch, what characters will you get, if a new mechanic is being added, the chance of characters getting new moves and keep the game fresh every year, so it makes sense that the battle pass becomes cheaper each year, as the hot stuff it's usually sold half the price of original game, for example a battle pass can cost up to $25 to $32 depending on what i has to offer.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
And this is not what NRS does sadly, as until recently we didn't even now who would come on the battle passes, what the development team had planned and usually a new season doesn't even mean freshing up the game, its just adding new characters and stages and keep the loop going, and when they are done with it, they release a full version game with everything stuffed in add a full price tag, and resell as a closed game and move on.

I honestly don't think this is going to work this time, as you look games like SF and Tekken final products and look night and day from they release versions, they added new movesets to every single character, and added new mechanics each new season on top of having new characters, stages and so on, so long term plan might be the next challenge i think NRS might not take it well IMO.

The closest NRS did to this was back then with MK3, UMK3 and MK Trilogy, each game adding new moves and new mechanics into it, but it's essentially the same game, trilogy it's MK3 anyway lmao, just a finished version of it.

Last edited:

Xelz

Go over there!
You pay some type of timed subscription (Monthy, Yearly, whatever) and in return you get content.

Some games will have it where you get access to additional costumes, or loot boxes, or characters, or whatever. Sometimes it's a way to gain access to an exclusive gaming event, like a special boss raid, or something.
It's usually even worse. You pay to unlock the opportunity to unlock content. Then most games make you grind hours to unlock the things you theoretically just paid for, but in a limited time window. If you don't grind enough hours, you lose the chance to unlock the things you paid for unless you pay even more to unlock it for real.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I just hope we can unlock everything by playing ranked matches online, or by paying 20 or 30 bucks if we so choose.

Not being able to unlock that last brute (ofc it's the best one as well) for your character simply because it's locked behind a timed tower that's only up for an hour or two hours while you're at work during the day? No other way to to unlock it besides these timed towers? That's bullshit.
Yeah or just let us unlock all that stuff through the Krypt, which used to be fun. I don't want to grind towers for gear, fatals, brutals and other cosmetics it's such a waste of time.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It’ll definitely have something stupid in it.

For one, WB is a horrible publisher and they are shoving a battlepass in the suicide squad game. NRS themselves may not even have a say in it.

Second, they can get away with it and MK fans deserve it. Kombat Pack 1 was 40 dollars for 6 characters and some shitty skins dude. In their brain 60 dollars = 25 characters, online, story, towers, and 40 dollars = skins and 6 characters. The irony is that the base game always has great value, but they make up for it when they fuck you on the DLC. Not so much anyone on here, but the general population of MK fans who will drop the game in a month will lap it all up and it won't even strike them as odd, because...

MK fans either:
a) know better and buy the characters they want only
b) are competitive or very very good at the game or just extremely passionate about it so they bite the bullet since it'll be borderline the only game they play for years
c) are the arrested development millennials / boomers that will lap up anything they’re given regardless of quality if it gives them nostalgia, or zoomers that haven't ever played a game that didn't have this bullshit so it doesn't raise any eyebrows

Ugh. This is a hard no from me.

I swear, the longer time goes on, the more games are no longer made for me.

... which is not a bad thing now that I think about it...

It's usually even worse. You pay to unlock the opportunity to unlock content. Then most games make you grind hours to unlock the things you theoretically just paid for, but in a limited time window. If you don't grind enough hours, you lose the chance to unlock the things you paid for unless you pay even more to unlock it for real.
Jebus Chrips...

NRS themselves may not even have a say in it.
NetherRealm likely won't.

The irony is that the base game always has great value...
Yeah, usually I just buy the base game and then wait for all the post-launch content to finish, and then wait for it to be bundled together and go on sale, then I get it.

I bought the Premium Edition of Mortal Kombat 11 to see how that'd go and that was a mistake. Won't do that again.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm kind of torn on this. I definitely think that if someone is willing to put in the time and grind, then they should be able to unlock a high % of the loot. I'm not sure everything should just be able to be unlocked by purely spending money though. Gear should be earned, and if you want that swet brutality or outfit then you should have to earn it by playing the game.

At the same time though the game should give clear and fair ways to earn stuff. locking something behind a randomly generated timed tower seems like a bit much.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Like a lot of things, battle passes (or even microtransactions) can be a good thing if done well. Free to Play games can really benefit from a Battle pass, and even a game with a base price can benefit. It gives the game developers a reason to keep supporting the game. Microtransactions and battle passes can also help keep the base price lower than it might otherwise be, but that's a harder concept for some people to understand. Too often though I think it's easy to get cynical and see stuff as mainly a cash grab.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
NetherRealm likely won't.

Yeah, usually I just buy the base game and then wait for all the post-launch content to finish, and then wait for it to be bundled together and go on sale, then I get it.

I bought the Premium Edition of Mortal Kombat 11 to see how that'd go and that was a mistake. Won't do that again.
I bought the premium edition too, very stupid of me. Also if I don’t like the beta I won’t buy it. I thought I’d end up liking MK11 even though I didn’t like the beta and it never happened

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Most likely. Heck even Diablo has a Battle Pass now.

Im not a fan of Battle Passes but if done well it could be positive for the longevity and support of MK12.

Gotta get to Level 50 for that sweet Hsu Hao skin for Jax.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Most likely. Heck even Diablo has a Battle Pass now.

Im not a fan of Battle Passes but if done well it could be positive for the longevity and support of MK12.

Gotta get to Level 50 for that sweet Hsu Hao skin for Jax.
You know the rewards will be terrible. I’m shuddering thinking about grinding it out on shitty PVE modes to get a new shaped ice dagger for Sub Zero.

Art Lean

Noob

I honestly prefer the timed towers to playing online. I absolutely HATE it, it boils my blood, I much prefer to be able to unlock stuff at my own pace playing by myself against the CPU without having to contend with playing against people who live and breath fighting games, and worry about losing points and seeing my prize slipping further away from me and then having to then put more nights and self-destruction into trying to reach them again.

I only play MK by myself or with the friends who come round to visit my place, I've been that way since 1993 with MK1 on the SNES. In fact other than couch 2-player, I don't play PVP on any game whatsoever. Having to play Kombat League to get some skins and gear I really desired drove me absolutely to despair and honestly don't want to have to do that again.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I honestly prefer the timed towers to playing online. I absolutely HATE it, it boils my blood, I much prefer to be able to unlock stuff at my own pace playing by myself against the CPU without having to contend with playing against people who live and breath fighting games, and worry about losing points and seeing my prize slipping further away from me and then having to then put more nights and self-destruction into trying to reach them again.

I only play MK by myself or with the friends who come round to visit my place, I've been that way since 1993 with MK1 on the SNES. In fact other than couch 2-player, I don't play PVP on any game whatsoever. Having to play Kombat League to get some skins and gear I really desired drove me absolutely to despair and honestly don't want to have to do that again.
I disagree, the entire purpose of ranked modes are the exclusive ranked rewards and that should be the only way people can earn those rewards. And they should only be cosmetic in nature. I grind Apex Legends ranked because I like the game sure, but it's for the rewards, and the fact that you get better playing against tougher and tougher opponents. It's the progression aspect of it. If there was nothing to work towards, and if you didn't need to get there to get it, then there would be no purpose for ranked modes in the first place.