What's new

Will MK(2011) "MK9" Be A Success?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Will MK(2011), to be released on March 2011, be a success?

Obviously, we won't know until the game is out and has been out. I was just interested in hearing some predictions, based on what we know.

One of the main aspects that I think will make MK(2011) be a success is the fact that it's 2.5D. The MK team haven't used a 2D plane since MKT, after MKT they switched over to 3D. This was when I started losing interest in MK, from a competitive stand point. Not to mention the fact that the 3D MK's are widely considered below average, as far as high level fighters are concerned. I would be inclined to agree, except for MKvsDC which I think is average. 2D will have the nostalgia effect. Even old fans of the series who have lost interest, will more than likely pick up this game to bring back the old (good) memories of Mortal Kombat.

This brings me to the next aspect, The Gore. Gore in Mortal Kombat games used to be a controversial topic, back in the 90's. It since then followed the rating system, and made it's games Teen rated. It lost all it's brutal gore, and fantastic fatalities. Which may be a gimmick, but a gimmick that works and is great! Even the hardcore players, who play MK games competitively, can appreciate the gore and fatalities as nice relief from the intense matches. It will also invite players who are mesmerized by the brutalness, and just want the game for that reason. Casual players will drool at the mouth while they rip their opponents limb by limb.

Financial Backing will help this game a great deal. First of all, recently the MK games have felt rushed and unfinished. This is Midway's fault. Games that were not ready, but they launched anyway because Midway needed the money immediately. They couldn't give a shit about the quality if the games, as long as they looked finished visually and were functional, they were "good to go". Not only were the games rushed, the MK team didn't have the money to patch them. MKvsDC was promised a patch update, but then Midway went backrupt and Ed Boon was stuck. Now, they are with Warner Bros! In a recent interview, Boon has said that WB told them to take as much time as they'd like, which is amazing news to hear! So, not only do they have more money to make a quality game, they also have all the time they could ever need. Furthermore, they will have the money to make patches and DLC. NO game is perfect the first time around, and I mean NO game. Even UMK3 was a revised version of MK3, as well as SF3: 3S, and even SSF4.

The Gameplay is also looking very solid. In the past 3D MK's, I've been pretty disappointed when it came to gameplay. It didn't have to do with the 3D side stepping, but just the overall games were sub par as far as gameplay goes. MKvsDC was the best 3D MK game since MK4 as far as that goes, but even then it wasn't that great. Also, the game was terrible online, and when a game is terrible online and has no offline scene, it WON'T survive. Anyway, MK9's gameplay is looking great. We're seeing old MK2 and UMK3 style moves and combos. There's also new things such as the Super Meter which has "EX" moves, a Combo Breaker and the X-RAY super combo. Hopefully these things will add depth, instead of making the game too gimmicky or broken.

The MK Hype! There's been a lot of attention for MK lately. The MK rebirth film pitch releasing a day before the MK9 trailer got a lot of positive feedback from a great percentage of people. This created hype for the new MK game since MK9 is going back to it's roots. Then the next day we get the MK9 trailer which confirms a 2.5D game. There was even more positive feedback, but most were skeptical. When E3 came along, we got more in depth gameplay videos, as well as great interviews of Ed Boon. Most if not all were very pleasing, and just brought even more hype for the new game. Also, UMK3 tournaments have been getting noticed, and streamed as of late. The hype for UMK3 in the streams is unreal, and is great to see. There has been a lot of talk of how entertaining UMK3 is at high levels, and people realizing how great UMK3 really is. We even got a MK forum over at SRK, which has over 100,000 members. Mr.Wizard was even encouraging us to try and get MK at EVO, which would be a HUGE step for the mK community!

I just think this game will do very well. It may very well be the SF4 of the MK series! Pass on the hype, and let's get ready to FINISH HIM!!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Define success?

Sales wise, the last 4 MK games have been very successful.

Quality wise, they have been absolutely awful.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Define success?

Sales wise, the last 4 MK games have been very successful.

Quality wise, they have been absolutely awful.
Success as far as Quality, Sales, and for the MK community.

1. the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.
2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3. a successful performance or achievement:

Tim Static

Adminerator
Its June 23, 2010 and the games isnt even due until March 2011 and its already a success, and only a small handfull of people have even played a very early version of the game.

This game, along with that video short (movie franchise reboot idea) have put a sense of true excitement i havent seen with an MK since at least the MK4 Road Tour in 1997.

Look at all whats happened to the MK brand in the last couple months alone:

*UMk3 streamed at a Major East Coast tournament.
*UMK3 streamed again at another while smaller tourney, but better show of gameplay (TIME OUT? wut!)
*SRK blows up with MK movie reboot vid
*then SRK and the rest of the MK online communities blow up when the first teaser trailer for MK9 is released to the masses.
*SRK makes its own Strategy Zone for MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

Its been crazy but its only just started!

2011 will be huge with the new game and i promise you all, MK will be represented @ EVO 2011 with at least UMK3.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Im sure MK9 will be a financial success for Warner Brothers. There really hasnt been an MK that wasnt financially successful. For me though I will feel it is a success if 3 things happen.

1. The Fighting game community as a whole sits up and takes notice of it. That MK stops being the laughing stock, the red headed step child of the fighting game world. This has already begun to happen to some degree thanks to the work weve been doing with UMK3 on the streams at both ECT2 and Road to Evo. However, as much as I adore UMK3, I believe we can only take it so far with a 15 year old game. For MK to break out of the northeast and begin to make an impact simultaneously in all parts of the country we need MK9 to be that good, and to be taken seriously as a competitive fighter by the fighting community at large.

2. MK9 must be good enough to be considered tournament worthy by both our own community(I guarantee you if the game sucks ass, I will not lift a finger to help it do anything.) and the rest of the fighting game world. This may seem simple enough, but the last time Boon and company gave us a tournament worthy game was 15 years ago. Thats a long time. So for MK9 to be good would be the exception rather than the rule as of late.

3. If the conditions in 1. and 2. are met then theres is only one thing left. It is the easiest thing to make happen, and yet its the thing this community has shown time and time again a complete unwillingness to do. We MUST make this happen ourselves. No one is going to make a scene for us and drop it into our laps. We must go out and make it. If working with 9.95,Shock,Summoning,Sweet Johnny Cage and AC1984 over the past couple of tournaments has taught me anything, its that the people who contact the tournament organizers, show up to these tournaments, and haul consoles,computers, TVs, Sticks,wires, and everything else all over gods green earth, are the ones that make this happen. Those streams only happened because of our persistence. Remember that.
The point here is our community as a whole must get the hell off our couches and start bringing this game to tournaments. If your going to a tournament and MK9 isnt there, PM,IM,call the TO and ask about bringing it there yourself. It really is that simple. UMK3 got switched from XBOX 360 to MAME at Road to Evo after a simple phone call from 9.95 to Citiofbrass.(Road to Evos TO). It isnt rocket science, its just a matter of a little motivation and dedication. How badly do you want this game to succeed?

Tim Static

Adminerator
MK is just starting to be recognized by the tournament scene because of the hardcore fans backing it for about a decade of hard work. I honestly don't even think that MK9 would be considered for tournaments like EVO if it wasn't for the recent success of UMK3 being streamed at major offline tournaments, it would just be looked at as "Another Crappy MK" regardless of how good it looks in the demos. MK9 will have a better chance of being successful if they allow those same hardcore fans and top players that are very knowledgeable of all 2D MKs the opportunity to help them balance the game with some form of beta testing, just as Capcom does.

Aside from that, they need multiple revisions just like they did in the arcade. Not even the arcade releases were balanced in in the beginning and we are still finding new revision boards floating around that most players have never heard of before, so that just goes to show you how hard they used to work compared to MKDC. I really think they did mean to balance MKDC from player feedback, they would have made a huge mistake if they chose not to and had the means to at the time. One huge thing that we have now compared to that arcade days is ......................... THE INTERNET, and the ease of creating and sharing videos that could lead to fixes.

Mortal Kombat (2011) has the most potential out of any game since MKT *cough* to be a tournament ready game, but they will also have their work cut out for them, and I just hope they are willing to put all their effort toward this one and forget all of the crap that was released in the past decade that has only given MK a bad name in the tournament scene.

YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND US WB.
taken from a post of mine @ UMK.com:

Tim Static said:
I do hope they do a beta, etc kinda thing. sorta like what they did in the arcade. Release MK9 Rv1.0 to BETA. Use it for offline play only. Rv1.1, with any fixed issues found. THen after Rv1.2, take it online. Find any glitches with gameplay and networking, release Rv2.0. do a couple revisions testing online things, gameplay, then in March release Rv3.0.

and just because 3.0 is released doesnt mean anything. Giving it to the masses can result in finding all sorts of problems. So take it and patch as it goes, fixing issues etc. And release any DLC along the way as well, testing it too.

And of course, this would only work using top players who are smart enough to push the game to its limits as well.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, sales aren't everything...but I'm SURE MK9 will sell just as good if not better then MKDC(which sold very well)

Hype wise:I think it'll live up to the hype, this is the first 2D MK since 97 and that alone I think will raise attention(as you already noticed)

Gameplay:I think the gameplay looks smooth, nice and faster paced....not slower, clunky and/or lame easy glitches the 3D MK's had that your average noob could abuse. PLUS, unlike the past MK's WB fully has MK now and since DLC has already been confirmed I have little doubt they wouldn't support patches if need be....this isn't Midway anymore, it's WB....they have money and resources to do so if the MK team says "hey WB, we need money for this and that" WB will be like, "hmm done..you're making us money with the MK name alone...lol"

Storyline:I know most on here may not care about it but I have to say, this is definitely one department where MK owns every other fighter by miles...and their characters are actually developed and look sicker each game....as oppose to the same costumes game after game after game after game....like some other fighters out there...

Online:Ok, we can all agree online can't be taken THAT seriously but I have to admit if MK9 plays like UMK3 or SF4 it would be good enough I think or at least better then MKDC and MKA played online(both were horrible at times)

Offline scene: Well, although MKDC was good enough for one, it didn't have one....despite who loved it, hated it or thought it was alright...still far better then the 3D MK's easily...but I think MK9 will at least have better/higher chances of getting one...I know I am seriously considering at least going to local tournaments in the future, I've already stated going across country and such is ridiculous for the average player(despite if you're great, mediocre or suck) just saying unless one has money, time it's not happening with most players...

But if there's say a tournament since I live in NYC, in NYC somewhere like Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens then I will definitely consider it or my chances will be greater....not going to another state though or across the country...not enough time, not enough money....

Overall, I have to say between the newer, cooler modes, improved online play no doubt(Boon keeps stressing that if you noticed besides tighter gameplay) and the fact that MK is once again 2D :) I see only good things happening in MK's future....I just hope they stay 2D for a while(if not forever preferably)

2 series that should NEVER go 3D again are SF and MK...