What's new

Will Kenshi Defeat Kung Lao?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Just wanted to get some opinions here... do you guys think Kenshi will/can be equal to Kung Lao? His moves look very impressive... I guess the one of the major things it comes down to is his close moves.

Thoughts?

Subby

Frost Warrior
TBH, I can't say. There really doesn't seem to be enough info to make a clear decision on that.

No, unless Kenshi has a viable way to beat teleport and dive kick or has a tele of his own. Though that isn't all kung has, they both play a big role in his mix ups.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Kenshi looks like a rush orientated character with all the clone advantages of Noob. Paired with Nightwolf's reflect. So, he appears to look good in the rush department, I noticed he had a low mixup. Looks good in the mid screen/AA department and he looks good if he's zoned and starts getting excessive projectiles thrown his way - of which he can reflect then retaliate with his x-ray which will teleport him to the opponent if it lands. His x-ray also appears to be fast enough to retaliate to projectiles with, I don't see why the x-ray would be interrupted unless blocked considering that the properties appear to be based on a projectile.

Looking pretty S-tier. I'm wondering what wakeup options he'll have, however. If he's viable I'm highly considering playing him due to Reptile's weakness against projectile mixups - his x-ray can be blocked/interrupted from full screen. Not a viable solution when zoned out by Kabal and Liu Kang. It'd be nice if projectile armor was given on something useful, but I don't see that happening in the immediate future.

I$AAC

Noob
I think in close-to-mid range quarters he will be a force but would be lacking in the long range department (hence NRS giving him a reflect move)

If the reflect move has the same properties as nightwolf then he also might have problems with noob. I'm excited for the possibilities he will have

I'd say mid range he looks good, but up close he seems to rely on throws instead of heavy combos. Not sure how this will turn out against faster characters. Wouldn't really call him a rusher, he is a ranged character just mid range.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
His specials all rely on his sword/spirit, giving him one HELL of a range advantage when it comes to the footsies battle vs just about everyone not Kitana. I think he may give him some problems...not sure if he definitely will beat him.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'm really not getting how Kenshi got his telekinetic ability, I mean, he didn't meet Ermac yet.
Well, Ermac only awakend his dormant telekenetic powers; so NRS can technically just state that his teleknetic powers were already awakened prior to meeting Ermac.

LK-520

Noob
Kenshi looks like a rush orientated character with all the clone advantages of Noob.
He doesn't look too rushdown heavy to me... All of his combos in the video knock the other guy way away, and at the very least he knocks them into his launcher which hits at sweep range. All of it screams "Get off me" to me, and doesn't leave Kenshi close enough to keep pressure on. I think quick, up close characters like KL or Cage might give him some trouble, like they do with Ermac, unless he's got something quick enough to retaliate with.

He looks kinda like a cross between Ermac and Smoke to me... Smoke for the reactions to zoning and the combos to knock them back into long range even though he doesn't do his damage from range, and Ermac for his midrange pokes and how his combos look. Got a feeling Kenshi will be able to do the same TK stuff for combos that can't be broken out of if necessary. The footsies (Maybe, if that TK uppercut is safe)/combos from sweep range are interesting to me, but I can't immediately see what he'll do about characters that get in.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I'm really not getting how Kenshi got his telekinetic ability, I mean, he didn't meet Ermac yet.
I'd pick a more interesting moveset over continuity anyday. Also, it's a reboot of the story so he could have possibly recieved them by other means.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
*Looks to see if Kung Lao is winning tournaments...shakes head (wrongfully nerfed by scrubs like you)*

Replace Kung Lao with Kabal and you may have a legitimate argument.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Can he beat Kung Lao? Everyone can beat Kung Lao...

Dive Kicks are beat by blocking, Teleports are beat by backdash or jumping out...with EVERY character.

OP? seriously dude...I don't get the point of this thread.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
It seems pretty obvious to me most people think Kung Lao is still the best character in the game and it's valid to ask whether or not Kenshi will be on his level, especially after all the hype for this character.

It's all speculative at this point, but I can't see what's wrong with building a bit more hype for a DLC.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
He's just like skarlett. Overpowered when first released prior to a patch. I sense they will nerf his block advantage and make him uber unsafe while preserving the high priority/range/damage.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
BTW, I apologize for being an ass in this thread... long day.

Very much looking forward to Kenshi and I hate Kung Lao! XD