What's new

Wild speculation: What if NRS is trolling us and you can actually switch variations mid-match?

Would MKX have more depth if you could change variations mid-match?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that there's a strategy that can be developed by trading off the pros and cons of each variation at different points of a match. Not having variations at all would mean Quan having portals and summons at the same time, or reptile having invisibility and time warp at the same time. Not what I said (nor implied) at all.
In a sense, you are implying that. It's like stance switching in 3D MK games only your move set doesn't change, your specials do. So instead of picking before match, you can change on the fly.
You can say "well that's not a bad idea" and it doesn't really... but let's play situations:
Reptile slows down time, changes to invis variation ...goes invis...hits you either overhead or low...you can't block on reaction because you can't see him. Guess wrong we got a combo but time is slowed so even if you guess right then he can hit you the opposite in which you blocked and you're still in hit stun so you get hit...then he changes mid combo to noxious...so now he is doing a full combo and doing extra damage with noxious. After time is normal again and combo is done...he stays noxious so if you go in on him, you get damaged. Then when the time is ready again, he slows down time and you lost the round.

That is just one character going off the top of my head.

coolwhip

Noob
Regarding the changing variation to counter-pick the opponent mid-match, I don't see it being a problem.

We had that in Injustice with Nightwing vs Wonder Woman. It was a full circle; WoWo's Lasso beats NW's Escrima, NW's Staff beats WoWo's Lasso, WoWo's Shield beats NW's Staff, and NW's Escrima beats WoWo's Shield. The MU was always fun and not boring.

There was a lot of switching between stances, but that was quite common for Nightwing and Wonder Woman players in many other MUs.

I don't see this being a problem at all.
But both these characters were designed around the fact that they can switch mid-match. The same doesn't apply to MKX, and if we already have fears about balance, it could be worse if characters had that ability. Like, if an already super good character has two insanely good variations, and he can use them at will mid match? He'd be an even bigger problem.

i would like mid game switching more because it prevents a lot of counterpicking time in the menu. but it has to be made sure its not too fast, like in 3d mk. like, you switch to a better counter variation but the opponent can immediately counter-switch himself, so that the main gametime is spent by switching trough variations rock-paper-scissors style. it could have huge startup so it can be only done after specific knockdowns, or maybe cost meter. you should be able to pick your starting variation from the select screen though.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
But both these characters were designed around the fact that they can switch mid-match. The same doesn't apply to MKX, and if we already have fears about balance, it could be worse if characters had that ability. Like, if an already super good character has two insanely good variations, and he can use them at will mid match? He'd be an even bigger problem.
Well nothing actually applies to MKX since it's most probably won't be in the game (switching mid-match, I mean.)
I'm saying if they want to make it work, they obviously can. Even though WW and NW characters change completely during the match, and variations in MKX will be more like Raven's trait (special moves are mostly changed rather than the entire character).
About the balance, it's a bitch either way, and it's also a two-edged sword. If one character had 2 shitty variations, but combined in a match they can be very useful, wouldn't you want that?

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yeah this isn't going to happen.

But to address your stance switch button comment, that button definitely does have a use in mkx, at least for some characters. Quan Chi makes use of it for different commands when he has his summoned demon out.

SLy

Noob
That'll be the worst Idea ever. it did pretty good for Inj. But MK is a whole other ballgame

Your idea isn't bad at all, but I'm confident that it won't actually happen. People just like to imagine the worst in other people's ideas