What's new

Wild speculation: What if NRS is trolling us and you can actually switch variations mid-match?

Would MKX have more depth if you could change variations mid-match?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Thus far, it seems like NRS has used variations as a way to create the illusion of more content by simply spreading a fighter's tools out instead of creating three well-rounded versions of each fighter. What if, though, NRS is actually holding out on showing us a key mechanic of MKX: the ability to change your variation mid-match? The more I think about it, the more it seems like this could be a real possibility.

Evidence of variation switching:
  1. Graphic changes for each variation seem to be superficial, so switching between them wouldn't require a full "costume change" of sorts.

2. Some variations seem to do less than others. Reptile's invisibility variation alone seems like a poor choice, but it's a whole 'nother story if he was able to change his move sets to adapt to the opponent's playstyle. The game could get pretty exciting if, for example, a character with projectiles in only one variation fights Kitana, who has a parry in only one variation. Both characters switching between styles in reaction to the other while still managing life and meter has the potential for a lot of depth.

3. There has been a "stance change" macro since MK9 that, aside from a few exceptions (stance-specific combos), has been useless. Will it finally have a purpose in MKX?

4. The 3D Mortal Kombat games all had characters with multiple stances, so the mechanic itself isn't unheard of.

5. Grundy had a similar mechanic with his three different trait styles in Injustice.

6. Variations are prominently displayed in the in-game HUD.

7. Notches in the run meter and life bar: are they just there as a convenient representation of when you have certain amounts of life/meter, or could they also be representative of when certain mechanics become possible? Hmmm...
I'm personally really hoping for this surprise in the final game. It lowers the possibility of some variations never getting used competitively, and definitely assuages the concerns of people who think some of the variations are only useful situationally. What do you think?

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Reminds me of who was suggesting the same thing. Same argument I said there applies here. You can't just throw in everything they have in all variations into one, because it was never intended within the design of the game.

Edit: oh is this a troll?

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I noticed that you can switch variations mid character select screen
That would be a pretty cool aspect of it, don't you think? Rather than MKDA or Deception where both characters started out with "style 1," you're able to start off where you want to be vs. a certain opponent or character, especially if there was a limit to the number of times you could switch per match.

Reminds me of who was suggesting the same thing. Same argument I said there applies here. You can't just throw in everything they have in all variations into one, because it was never intended within the design of the game.

Edit: oh is this a troll?
No, this really isn't a troll; there are just people on this site who don't like me and try to derail my threads.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Yeah, it really would be cool if Quan Chi could use his portals to counter-zone me and then instantly change to his little demon to punish me when I get close. That would actually make this game a lot better.

Not! Shut up.
If you were Reptile, you could go invisible while Quan tries to counter-zone then slow down time when you get in. Sounds a lot more dynamic and interesting to me!

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
It would make having variations pointless to begin with if we could just switch mid-match.
IMO every variation has its benefits and drawbacks so it's a matter of deciding which variation would provide you the most benefit depending on how the match is progressing.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Every time I see something about changing variations mid-match I imagine the characters just standing there in one spot the entire match constantly changing variations to get an edge on the other character's variation.
lol I thought of that too, but what if they had a significant number of recovery frames? enough to make it possible to change variations at the end of a BNB but not enough to let you sit there switching willy-nilly without getting punished.

It would be an awful idea on many different levels, especially with certain styles. Kotal Khan's limited totems or quan's "bat style" come to mind. Further it's much much harder to balance and you wind up with much worse execution tests(which while some competitive players may like, ultimately pisses off huge portions of your casual crowd).

Finally advertising one thing, and then pulling a fast one and doing another, even when it's a small portion of the ultimate playerbase that's paying attention at this point, is really really really bad practice. Especially when it's not a switch that could generate more profit(multiple games claiming to not be P2W and then throwing it in last second), but instead just changing a gameplay mechanic. Oh its also a huge waste of man hours, even if it is easy, to code a bunch of fake style select screens.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't think they've been trolling, but i think MKX will be a pile of test for variation switch mid match for MK11.

I think Paulo tried with Nightwing as a trial run, but then they probably thought it would be a bad idea to switch playstyles mid match that they decided to go with the variation system.

IMO every variation has its benefits and drawbacks so it's a matter of deciding which variation would provide you the most benefit depending on how the match is progressing.
Bill, I'm not sure if this has been addressed or answered before, but has NRS gone on to say what the reasoning was behind having the 3 variations separate per character, per match?

Why was the above chosen over a system like having all moves from all variations in your move list from the beginning? In other words you wouldn't toggle through variations/stances during rounds, but would adjust to using different tools based on the play style you want or need to use in the moment.

And in regards to this very idea, I've heard a few folks say something like this would break the game or there wouldn't be enough buttons to map all the different moves to. And I question this logic because if you were to give each character the same type of play styles to mix up during their matches, wouldn't or couldn't a lot more match-ups be somewhat more even? And as far as running out of buttons, couldn't moves have been mapped to diagonal directions or other unused input types as in Tekken or VF for example?

Another option would be the ability to select and go with a variation before the next round starts. And then of course the last option would be to have the stance/variation switch, a la 3D MK's.

I mean... I know NRS talks about one characters' variation being a potentially bad matchup for another characters' variation and vice versa. But considering MKX does have a blind character select(will it?), won't that nullify the variation system they have put in place in terms of people being able to counter pick? I'm not sure I understand the concept behind variations really.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I like it the way it is(seems?). Being locked into one variation would make things more balanced in my opinion. As others have pointed out before me, and I agree; some characters would probably be way overpowered if they can switch variation mid match.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
So you want them not to have variations, in other words?
That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that there's a strategy that can be developed by trading off the pros and cons of each variation at different points of a match. Not having variations at all would mean Quan having portals and summons at the same time, or reptile having invisibility and time warp at the same time. Not what I said (nor implied) at all.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
No, no there is no way in hell that NRS are plotting to pull a fast one. And thank god for that, because if you can switch between variations on the fly then you eliminate the strategy from it in favour of having all your moves available at once, albeit some with a couple more inputs.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
"The only thing worse than Select-Screen counter picking is mid-match counter picking."™ - Swindle

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Regarding the changing variation to counter-pick the opponent mid-match, I don't see it being a problem.

We had that in Injustice with Nightwing vs Wonder Woman. It was a full circle; WoWo's Lasso beats NW's Escrima, NW's Staff beats WoWo's Lasso, WoWo's Shield beats NW's Staff, and NW's Escrima beats WoWo's Shield. The MU was always fun and not boring.

There was a lot of switching between stances, but that was quite common for Nightwing and Wonder Woman players in many other MUs.

I don't see this being a problem at all.