What's new

Why wont NRS get rid of the weird defeat animation?

trufenix

bye felicia
Just to clarify for everyone whose suddenly an expert on this. M rated games sell less than T, so WB does not allow comic book games to be M. The end. It's not about technical limitations, source material, story context, texture quality, cover art, or anything. It's about sales. WB is not interested in putting Superman on a game that they can't (legally) market to kids/teenagers.

This shitty animation (for better or worse) is NRS' answer to that. It keeps the ESRB from bumping Injustice from "Violence" to "Intense Violence" and shooting WB's profit projections into the toilet.

edit: If you want proof, just google Arkham Knight Mature Rating. The torture scene was almost cut because it (and some potty language) bought them a mature rating, The bosses wanted it cut and Rocksteady had to convince WB to let them keep it and just sell the game Mature.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Im actually a huge fan of the "go stiff and fall down" animations from the older MK games...but if im not mistaken didnt mk vs dc also have this?

I never understood why they got rid of it just to do the get knocked down get up and kneel thing (short of the complication of characters seeming "killed" issue).

Its odd cause we have had cats get killed/ killing other cats in entire story arcs...

..its like lolz what..? haha

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Just to clarify for everyone whose suddenly an expert on this. M rated games sell less than T, so WB does not allow comic book games to be M. The end. It's not about technical limitations, source material, story context, texture quality, cover art, or anything. It's about sales. WB is not interested in putting Superman on a game that they can't (legally) market to kids/teenagers.

This shitty animation (for better or worse) is NRS' answer to that. It keeps the ESRB from bumping Injustice from "Violence" to "Intense Violence" and shooting WB's profit projections into the toilet.

edit: If you want proof, just google Arkham Knight Mature Rating. The torture scene was almost cut because it (and some potty language) bought them a mature rating, The bosses wanted it cut and Rocksteady had to convince WB to let them keep it and just sell the game Mature.
This entire reasoning lacks logic. Look at Street Fighter V. Rated T, characters don't get killed, but they stay knocked out at the end of a match.

Then of course you contradicted your initial argument by bringing up Arkham Knight...

Error

DF2+R2

trufenix

bye felicia
This entire reasoning lacks logic. Look at Street Fighter V. Rated T, characters don't get killed, but they stay knocked out at the end of a match.
Realistic vs Cartoon violence. SF5 lacks blood of any sort. No one in SF5 goes to work on anybody else with a sword, even Vega's claw never pierces skin and when it does it comes out in big yellow slash marks or flower motifs, not blood. The ESRB already went to work on Mika's butt and Cammy's crotch. And most importantly good job paying attention to the homework because YES, SF5 characters continue to visibly breathe after they go down, even after a final super KO.

Then of course you contradicted your initial argument by bringing up Arkham Knight...
I was using AK to highlight my point. It's one of the few (if not only) M rated super hero games WB has ever allowed and it was a huge deal. A single scene bought Arkham an M rating. They had to fight to keep it. Don't believe me, Google it.

trufenix

bye felicia
Yeah lol. Ares sends a dick load of swords and shit at you, Joker burns you alive, Scorpion literally drags you to hell, Doomsday bodies the whole planet, Deathstroke's pose confirms death, it's not about looking dead.

I don't know if you guys are children or just allergic to reading, but this is why I post "like a cock". You guys have fun, your version makes a lot more sense.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't know if you guys are children or just allergic to reading, but this is why I post "like a cock". You guys have fun, your version makes a lot more sense.
Holy shit you're a genius. Especially that bit about it being because M games sell less than T games even though Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, and all these M shooters sell a ridicuoulus amount, more than any T game. I mean of course WB would NEVER publish an M rated comic book game like an M rated Batman game in 2015, it probably would have sold like shit on the basis of being M rated. And of course everyone who played Injustice 1 and saw all those before mentioned win poses will get to rest easy knowing that The Joker didn't in fact kill anyone with gasoline and fire because we saw them panting on the ground beforehand! I bet the ESRB made them change the defeat animations to this retardation because a character "looking dead" would cross the line in a game where Superman laser visions right through Shazam's face.

It must be really hard being that much smarter than everyone, I feel smarter already from all of our stimulating conversation.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It's in the game because NRS likes it.
That's it.

It's not a weird limitation because of fatalities, which makes absolutely no sense.

They like it, but don't want to waste resources to make it look more natural, and ultimately think the goofiness of the fast get up and fall down is worth keeping in for the sake of the little fall over animation.

I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

If you want to make your voices heard bug Boon on twitter about it, or make another dumbass petition.

But ultimately I don't see them changing it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
"WB and DC don't want fans to assume these characters are dead" is nothing but a fan made theory.
Even if that was the case, the problem isn't that they're kneeling. It's that they fall down, then get back up, and THEN kneel. It looks really dumb. If I had any casual complaint it would be this, it's actually cringy to watch.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Instead of having Harley Quinn look beaten, have her look turned on. It would add to her insanity factor.