What's new

Why wont NRS get rid of the weird defeat animation?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
NRS says WB doesn't want the characters to look dead but then in the comics you have characters killed left and right. Superman sending his entire arm through Joker's chest. Green Arrow beaten to a bloody pulp. Shazam getting lazered through the head...

I'd really like to see something like Brutalities in MKX but without the killing. Just do a cool animation in slow motion. It would be a nice touch. It really is kind of lame how the fights end right now.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Paulo or someone commented on it during the Injustice 1 days.
Said it was very complicated because of all the different hit reactions or something.

What ever that meant.
This. However this kind of polish helps bring the game to the next level, and it's not difficult per se, it's just alot of work. Probably a matter of priority, putting a guy on fixing that would mean less new moves for new characters etc.

Noob
I would say the reason there are no graphically violent end game posers is purely to keep the age restriction on the game down. But the whole knock them down, stand them back up and then drop thing is just a simple way to animate things. Every character would have one end of game defeat pose. Like Super girl kneeling. If you knock her down, the animators don't want to have to animate her getting into the kneeling pose from every position she would be in after all the different knock downs or hits in the game. So standing the character up reverts them to a neutral state from where the end game pose can be accessed rather easily. And Just leaving them on the floor after you have given them the final blow may make it look like they have been killed, messing with the age restriction.

An option I would have looked at would have been something like a final pose on the floor. Where instead of Super Girl getting into the kneeling pose, she stays on the floor and shakes her head and punches the floor. Whether on her back or her front. So it would be one extra animation compared to one kneeling pose. But it would be relevant to any move that got her to the floor. And it looks like she took more of a beating. I Like the standing reset before end game pose though. Its silly and makes me laugh. the punch sound effects though. Dam they could do with a touch up.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
This. However this kind of polish helps bring the game to the next level, and it's not difficult per se, it's just alot of work. Probably a matter of priority, putting a guy on fixing that would mean less new moves for new characters etc.
If thats the case, it means you need more guys in the studio. WB is a billion dollar company, this is a legitimate way to bring polish, as you said.

"WB and DC don't want fans to assume these characters are dead" is nothing but a fan made theory.
maybe in context of this specific thing, but in general Boon himself said not being able to kill characters has different limitations and opens different avenues. Or something to that effect.

KrstffrMunk

Bane/Black Manta/Captain Cold
The issue isn't that they get back up imo, but that the animation used is the regular, fast getup followed by the character falling to their knees in defeat in some fashion.
If NRS would show them struggle to getup only to fail (upon transitioning to the defeat anim), it would look a lot less wonky.

That's one new animation per character, which doesn't seem too far fetched for them to do, but only NRS truly knows the amount of work laid into such a thing.

trufenix

bye felicia
They have to appear alive for ratings purposes, but why they're doing it this shit way, I don't know.

I would assume like Switch Stance, they just love hearing people bitch about it at this point.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Saying its for the rating makes no sense considering every other fighting game lets characters stay down and they keep the T rating..
I remember in the early injustice days people said it's the remains of a scraped "finisher" idea that they had. Not sure if it was ever confirmed or not though but it looked that way to me, they originally had them get up for you to be able to do a finisher of some sort, return of the "heroic Brutality".

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Why not have fatalities from MK vs. DC? Or something similar, where they do an ending move but without tearing limbs and decapitations?

the animators don't want to have to animate her getting into the kneeling pose from every position she would be in after all the different knock downs or hits in the game.
I don't understand this excuse. If the characters bounce at the end after the last hit anyway (which I don't particularly care for either), they can make them bounce then always land on their back or either always land on their stomach and animate from there. Then it wouldn't matter what hit or move killed them, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

If thats the case, it means you need more guys in the studio. WB is a billion dollar company, this is a legitimate way to bring polish, as you said.

maybe in context of this specific thing, but in general Boon himself said not being able to kill characters has different limitations and opens different avenues. Or something to that effect.
Nah...I agree that it's just some fan made theory. In the Injustice 1 story, Lois Lane, an unborn child, The Joker, and 8 million other people were killed before the fucking opening credits were done rolling! Sorry but I gotta call bullshit on this one.

Redk9

Noob
This isn't an issue in other games with comic characters like Marvel vs Capcom. I just don't get it

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Thr standing up is a "leftover" of MK's finishers. NRS has been making all of their games with the same engine since MKvsDC, and have been modifying and improving the engine a lot, this is probably one of the first things they added to it and its just hard to remove.

It does look horrid, though.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Why not have fatalities from MK vs. DC? Or something similar, where they do an ending move but without tearing limbs and decapitations?
At this point, I wouldn't say it's impossible. NRS loves their surprises and Brutalities weren't revealed for a good while when MKX was in development.

I first thought it possible when someone mentioned that you couldn't skip a super if it was the killing blow. Sure, could just be because it was a beta, but food for thought nonetheless.

Well they want it to be different because Ed Boon has this thing about not wanting him and his studio to be known for just MK games. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him, "Ed, no matter how many T-Rated games you make or comic book characters you DON'T kill, you and your studio will always and forever be known as the people that make MK games. Now accept that and keep doing what made you rich and famous."

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Some of you guys may be missing the point of the thread. It's not the fact that the characters are getting back up after a defeat. It's the amateur level looking, knocked down and bounce, then suddenly appear in a standing position only to quickly kneel. The sequence should look more natural but currently it does not. This is not difficult to fix, just add some animation to transition from the final knock down to something more or less that shows them struggling to get back to their feet while looking like one would if you had been floored and want to get back up.

They should not instantly fall on their stomach then pop to their feet in a fraction of a second only to kneel. How about landing on their stomach and then slowly getting into a kneeling position instead? Lose the whole standing for a second part and this will be good.

The issue isn't that they get back up imo, but that the animation used is the regular, fast getup followed by the character falling to their knees in defeat in some fashion.
If NRS would show them struggle to getup only to fail (upon transitioning to the defeat anim), it would look a lot less wonky.

That's one new animation per character, which doesn't seem too far fetched for them to do, but only NRS truly knows the amount of work laid into such a thing.
Pretty much this. But at the end of the day, they should be able to fix it if they dedicated enough resources to it. Its one of the few things that makes NRS seem either lazy or amateur in terms of game developing.