What's new

Question Why was MK9 the hypest (new) NRS game?

Why?

• because it was new

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • bcuz cancelling dashes

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
yo if they went back to REAL people i would lose it. that would be Epic to me!!! especially with the technology they have now!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
In 1993, MK2 was released on the SNES. My friends and I played the ever-loving shit out of that game. To us, it was the best video game of all time by a goddamn lightyear.

MK3 came out 2 years later. While it was fine, it was no MK2.

After that, it was a sharp downward spiral of disappointment after disappointment. MK moved into the realm of 3d, which meant they ditched almost everything that made MK2 an amazing game and instead put their time and energy into horrible polygonal graphics and wonky move sets.

For 16 goddamn years I watched in horror as the franchise I loved so dearly sank lower and lower. Just when it seemed like there was no hope, BAM, NRS announced a new 2D(!!!) MK game taking the franchise back to it's roots! The ninjas are back! The fatalities aren't idiotic! The Pit!!!

Tell me, how am I not supposed to get hype about that?!

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Last night was magnificent. After a short set of MKX, that we still play while drinking and talking I dusted of and re-connected my PS3, and guess what! First time in years, we lunched MK9 with this new perspective. We were couldnt adjusted right away but after first FT10 set we were enjoying the shit out of it.

Man...the movement, the graphics, the OST's - SUBWAY, THE PIT, ARMORY.

We've done one MU - Smoke vs Scorpion. This game felt so good and so clean that we were playing 4 sets FT10 and couldnt get enough. The game is simple, yet requires a lot more patience, better movement to get you a win.

MK9 for life <3

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
I loved fighting games especially UMK3 since i was a kid and we bought MK9 because we just want to experience the nostalgia of UMK3 at first, and then this game was my first try into the competitive scene, it turned out to be my favorite fighting game NRS has created, the gameplay, presentation wise it's just technical and flashy at the same time, it's really fun to play with. You have footsies, execution run cancels, zoning, all well presented in this game. Me and my brothers would literally play this game all day and not get tired of it, even watching the international tournaments in the US, Europe, South America, the drama, the rivalries, tag exhibitions and sick combo videos back then, it's just too fun to watch and play. I liked MKX no doubt but for me it kinda went overboard with the rushdown and safe 5050s the same way Inj2 went overboard with the zoning and projectile wars. MK9 for me was the right balance between the two, I just loved those times and I'll never forget them, That's why Im always hyped whenver REO streams MK9 nowadays :) .

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Because it was great where MKX and Injustice are just ok.

Plus, the game felt like I was playing classics.

I played MK9 daily and casuals weekly where MKX and Injustice were monthly casual sessions which so happened to be tournaments too lol

Oh... and Kabal <3 <3 <3

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Nostalgia factor aside, the game just clicked.
The art direction was the first thing that really attracted me to it, the game was just a lot more colorful visually, even the enhanced moves activation each character had their own glowing color while triggering.

And the second i tried the gameplay, it was amazing, the juggle physics and possibilites were superb, felt a lot more like UMK3/MKT in some way which has been like everyone's favorite MK for years globally, it felt like MK2 when playing neutral, it wasn't so oppressive as MKX, you really had to know your range to throw out moves. each character was a lot unique, the best Jade visual and gameplay design i ever seen (until they nerf her) Lot of people around the globe joined TYM, myself included and everyone was just having a blast.

And then when MKX came out, i guess ppl weren't really expecting, the formula was perfect in MK9 we didn't understood why it changed, anyway, here's to MK11.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I miss the podcasts with 7k slips and 16bit calling out the bills of the community

These were a blast. Slips was def my dude on the mic. K7 was next in line. Man, these podcasts, a lot of Us was just anticipating next episode. The game it self (like Eddy said: aside from the love) was cute, well played and from the moment you switched it on, it was a good DRUG, there was no end to it, unless you fell apart, at least to some of us lol.