What's new

Question Why was MK9 the hypest (new) NRS game?

Why?

• because it was new

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • bcuz cancelling dashes

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

Lokheit

Noob
It was the resurrection of Midway, an ode to the klassic MKs (at least until some weird nonesense started happening in story mode) and the first MK at least in recent years to be taken seriously in the competitive scene, plus the game flow was way more dynamic than what MK players were used with special cancels, more depth to each character's moveset and the return to the 2D mode (also X-Rays were dope when first revealed).

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The game was a resurrection for not only the studio, but the community.

MK vs DC was 2008... we basically all know how well that went and it was 3D. YUCK.
MK9 was like UMK3, but modern day. Seriously, it was like UMK3; same cast of characters. It was the birth of NRS and a damn good rebirth for the community.

Matix218

Get over here!
Because of several reasons:

1. We FINALLY had a new MK game that was designed specifically with tournament competition in mind which made the scene very excited. It brought a lot of veteran mk guys out of the woodwork and also introduced a whole new group of people to competative mk and we were all excited about it.

2. We had a lot of polarizing personalities as tournament players such as 16bit, Slips, PL, Tom Brady, Detroit, Curbo, etc that were all competing to try to claim the title as the best and prove they were best. Trash talk on podcasts, scene vs scene and player vs player rivalries, popoffs etc were very common. Compare that with mkx where you had many of the top individuals playing for the same "team" (yomi) which definitely reduced hype. Plus you also have 1 player basically winning 90% of the online and offline competitions (sonic fox) which also kills hype.

3. KTP. A lot of the hype around matches and rivalries started with this podcast. This podcast was the definition of a hype creator. And 16 bit purposely stirred the pot to try to maximize callouts and hype which was awesome.

4. The online sucked. What? How does that add hype? Well IMO it did and here is why. With mkx now having a godlike online (which i love btw) you can play against other top guys or watch two top guys play online in a stream literally every day. When the online sucked horribly in mk9 the only way to see the top guys go at it (and have it actually mean anything) was at offline events (tournaments, weekly locals, etc). This is why there was so much hype around watching all of the weekly streams like vsm and gga because you got to see top guys playing the REAL game (not the garbage lagfest that was online). This also made major tournaments extra hype and special because the top guys from different areas would finally come together and compete. Now we see scar play dragon or madzin play tom or whoever play whoever online whenever they feel like it. Plus events in general are more common now since online stuff "counts" (esl, kk) so you get to see stuff every week that you used to wait months for.

All of these things are reasons why mk9 was more hype IMO

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
put simply it wasn't "more hype". you were most likly just younger when it came out.. that simple. Now your older, your tastes are different and how you manage your time is different.

you get this a lot when people thing of games they played in the past. It usually isn't that the games are objectively "better", but more about who you were when the game was released.

Matix218

Get over here!
put simply it wasn't "more hype". you were most likly just younger when it came out.. that simple. Now your older, your tastes are different and how you manage your time is different.

you get this a lot when people thing of games they played in the past. It usually isn't that the games are objectively "better", but more about who you were when the game was released.
But even the guys who are younger now that were not around for mk9 seem much less hype. I attribute it to the reasons I posted above personally.

I dont think you can argue that mkx is as hype as mk9 was from a tournament scene perspective regardless of how old you are now or were then.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I disagree,.. the torny scene in MKx is a zillion times better than it was for MK9. Biggest events, more of them, more money on the line, more players... the game has lasted longer. ... .

Matix218

Get over here!
I disagree,.. the torny scene in MKx is a zillion times better than it was for MK9. Biggest events, more of them, more money on the line, more players... the game has lasted longer. ... .
I never said that wasn't the case. I agree with everything you just posted. But there is less hype and excitement in the scene when compared to mk9 in its heyday. I think the loss of 16 bit and ktp is a huge reason for this.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
For me, the reason is simple: because it was new.

MK9 was my second fighting game, the hype and talk around it was great and it looked superb in graphics for its time. A huge graphic advancement from the previous NRS game for sure as well. Story wise it was a reboot so it was a nice place to start for MK lore. It was something new for me and a big step in my growing love for fighting games.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
As everyone else has mentioned, MK9 Resurrected Mortal Kombat AND NRS. People who remembered the good old days of UMK3 and titles like it were transported back to those nostalgic days. All their favorite characters were there. It was familiar and this time it had a fantastic story mode! The characters they knew and loved in a new but familiar light due to the reboot. Without MK9 we wouldn't HAVE Injustice, MKX or Injustice 2. This game SAVED Mortal Kombat in a big way.

i dont think 30 and 35 make a difference in this case

Safe Armor

Tier Whore. BS, GM, Mystic etc.

I've been playing fighting games since the 90's and it only happened to me with SFV and a bit with MKXL, I mean I like MKXL but its not as fun as MK9/MK2/UMK3/SF2/KI1/MVC1,2 or KOFs.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I personally feel like IGUA had a bigger and better Promo Ads when it got released. Seems like the budget was alot better than MK9 because of the success of MK9. Remember they did a tournaments that batman won, and had Kevin Smith promoting the game? That was cooler to me, but I don't think my opinion is the majority lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
MK9's scene had so much more entertainment going on. It was more than about the pot bonuses and sponsorships...team rivalries like YOMI vs cR and the beef between players don't even come close to how it was back then. Like Matix said, KTP also contributed a lot to the hype and 16 Bit's pot stirring within that show added so much.

It was a "you had to live through it to get it" kind of thing that you really don't get in MKXL.

MK9's scene had so much more entertainment going on. It was more than about the pot bonuses and sponsorships...team rivalries like YOMI vs cR and the beef between players don't even come close to how it was back then. Like Matix said, KTP also contributed a lot to the hype and 16 Bit's pot stirring within that show added so much.

It was a "you had to live through it to get it" kind of thing that you really don't get in MKXL.
thtb your sig made me laugh but he is formally correct lol (i suppose these are the stríng names)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Because of several reasons:

1. We FINALLY had a new MK game that was designed specifically with tournament competition in mind which made the scene very excited. It brought a lot of veteran mk guys out of the woodwork and also introduced a whole new group of people to competative mk and we were all excited about it.

2. We had a lot of polarizing personalities as tournament players such as 16bit, Slips, PL, Tom Brady, Detroit, Curbo, etc that were all competing to try to claim the title as the best and prove they were best. Trash talk on podcasts, scene vs scene and player vs player rivalries, popoffs etc were very common. Compare that with mkx where you had many of the top individuals playing for the same "team" (yomi) which definitely reduced hype. Plus you also have 1 player basically winning 90% of the online and offline competitions (sonic fox) which also kills hype.

3. KTP. A lot of the hype around matches and rivalries started with this podcast. This podcast was the definition of a hype creator. And 16 bit purposely stirred the pot to try to maximize callouts and hype which was awesome.

4. The online sucked. What? How does that add hype? Well IMO it did and here is why. With mkx now having a godlike online (which i love btw) you can play against other top guys or watch two top guys play online in a stream literally every day. When the online sucked horribly in mk9 the only way to see the top guys go at it (and have it actually mean anything) was at offline events (tournaments, weekly locals, etc). This is why there was so much hype around watching all of the weekly streams like vsm and gga because you got to see top guys playing the REAL game (not the garbage lagfest that was online). This also made major tournaments extra hype and special because the top guys from different areas would finally come together and compete. Now we see scar play dragon or madzin play tom or whoever play whoever online whenever they feel like it. Plus events in general are more common now since online stuff "counts" (esl, kk) so you get to see stuff every week that you used to wait months for.

All of these things are reasons why mk9 was more hype IMO
A lot of great points in this post. Also, here's a video clip I'm quite proud of capturing.

Go to the 4:00 minute mark if you don't wanna watch the whole thing.

There was heavy rivalry that surrounded Detroit back then.

Then, you gotta watch this. Yeah, that was me recording and yelling. :)

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
A lot of great points in this post. Also, here's a video clip I'm quite proud of capturing.

Go to the 4:00 minute mark if you don't wanna watch the whole thing.

There was heavy rivalry that surrounded Detroit back then.

Then, you gotta watch this. Yeah, that was me recording and yelling. :)

Rivalry is was so good, As much as I enjoy MKX, I am sad deep inside when you brought it to the table, this shit won't make it back. It was almost as intense as it was back in the Arcade days...