What's new

Question Why was Kabal so good?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Well to understand why Kabal did what he did so well, there's a few things to understand about the MK9 system:

- Wakeups had invincibility frames: regular had 11, EX wakeups had 20, (so if you had an advantageous restand, it was a massive deal in MK9)
- Armor was based on startup to first active frame rather than how many hits it could take
- Only designated specials were true wakeups, Kabal had 3 different true wakeups between nomad dash, low buzzsaw and overhead tornado slam
- There was no penalty other than your meter for using a breaker
- Using a breaker in the air actually put you at massive frame advantage
- Air projectile recovery properties were not hard coded and were the same at all times.
- Blockstrings did not jail into highs.
- Hitbox collision issues were waaaaay wonkier

So imagine if in MKX, Liu Kang could use a breaker, was the only character who could run, and run cancel without a stamina penalty, Dragon Kick to the other side of the screen after a breaker if wanted to, had the same recovery on his air fireball that he's granted mid combo, had a disjointed hurtbox on his low fireball etc. That's pretty much Kabal.

Granted, some people were definitely misinformed about some things that made him seem better than he actually was, mostly because MK9's training mode was complete dildos and you could barely explore anything with it. For example, the whole "full screen armored launcher" people say wasn't actually a thing, the armor on EX nomad dash wore off before he even entered travelling frames. It was only really on wakeup that EX nomad dash became a whole different pile of shit due to the invincibility system.

Not really. He did try to poke out and got full combo'd.

It's easy in hindsight to say " oh, you can poke out at that part you were able to poke out of"

The issue is knowing what that 'part' is.
F32 NDC was plus 2 and REO followed up with another F3 (a 13 frame normal), I'm pretty sure it was just a botched counterpoke.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
He was the best rushdown character in the game and the best zoner in the game besides maybe Kenshi.
IAGB could go on forever with saws mixed in
2-NDC was a blocked infinite
Flash perry had multihits of armor to use a normal punisher like b1
meter building was top
etc.
I wouldn't say THE best rusher but he was definitely one of the best. I don't think he was the best zoner tho. Freddy had that hands down

E

Eldriken

Did a thread really need to be made about this? Check out the MK9 forums and Reo and Detroiballin's Kabal on youtube. Pretty self explanatory.
What if he wasn't around for MK9's tournament life? Who would he know who to specifically look for? There's nothing wrong with asking here.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Imagine a character with instant air zod balls that are faster, do more damage and can be combo'd from full screen, D'Vorah pressure without an existence of a stamina bar to limit it, having a run button and nobody else has one, standing resets, cancellable armor, low hitting projectile that can't be deflected and cannot be stuffed..and that's just off the top of my head.

I feel like whoever posted this thread should get infracted for making me relive the memories fighting this character.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
You could instant air jumpback and throw a projectile in mk9. Some people forget how important that is.

Last edited:

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
I remember one time i got to play while fighting against this sum'bitch. And then i woke up.

You get past the zoning: Hold this dash cancel pressure, breh

You finally land a poke and begin pressure: Hold this armor, bruh

You somehow manage a knockdown: Hold this no fks given wakeup, brethren

You somehow - oh wait you already lost that round, brosephiroth.

Last edited: