What's new

Why Travel to Tournaments?

MK9

Noob
how was i not told about this thread.

#1 Phil, now you no why i say what i say.
#2, the so called gathering in 2006, yes mkf i didn't show, but why don't you mention the real reason, like WTF was I suppose to play on, I play MK on a stick, something you cant play on,(old school players didn't play umk3 on SNES). when you had this so called gathering my "stick" was my mk2 cab, so since I don't play on a controller , why the fuck would i go to NYC to watch people play MK.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
how was i not told about this thread.

#1 Phil, now you no why i say what i say.
#2, the so called gathering in 2006, yes mkf i didn't show, but why don't you mention the real reason, like WTF was I suppose to play on, I play MK on a stick, something you cant play on,(old school players didn't play umk3 on SNES). when you had this so called gathering my "stick" was my mk2 cab, so since I don't play on a controller , why the fuck would i go to NYC to watch people play MK.
Kinda seems like you're flame-baiting with this post... DON'T. Got a problem - ignore the person, don't post, etc. It's easy.

WHO ARE YOU?
Red Saleen

Also, it's retarded not to travel to tournaments especially if they're close. Unless you hate the MK game being played, fine... but regardless... fucking support MK. Besides, meeting people from the boards and meeting totally new faces is better than "any" online experinece.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I was thinking that it would be nice to have online mode have offline connections. Like in the future at some time playing online would be identical to playing offline, as far as the connection goes. This would be great for practice and gaining experience, much like how I view online is now. But there would be no debate on that point. However, people would still be playing casuals. Moreover, people wouldn't be getting the hype and atmosphere of playing offline. People often don't understand the difference between casuals and tournaments. Which I, among many other people, have stated. It's similar to having a "ranked mode" in a fighting game. Take UMK3 on XBL as an example. Say you get a pretty high rank, the top 100. Every time you play in ranked, you have something to lose. Your reputation and your rank that you worked hard to achieve. So when I play ranked, I feel differently than when I play in player matches. I sometimes even get nervous, but a lot of that has to do with fear of getting an opponent with a terrible connection.

Even with this different feeling and approach to ranked mode, it's still a casual match. At least in my opinion. I think all online fighting game matches are casuals. Though even with something insignificant and small on the line, it's still a lot different than playing in with non at all. So when you play offline at tournaments, you basically have the same things on the line, plus more stuff. Which can include money, the thought of putting in the time of getting their only to lose, your tournament life, etc. There can be more or less on the line for different people, but a lot of the same things as well. Not only is there more things on the line, which I've stated makes you play and think differently, but the atmosphere is way different as well. For one it could very well make you nervous and feel pressured. But it also could make you play better rising to a new level of play. Things that you normally wouldn't try to get out of or avoid, or things that you would shrug off and say "oh well" in a casual match, you would not do so in a tournament match. You would force yourself to find a way around certain tactics, because now you HAVE to.

All these things that a tournament brings, WILL improve your game. When you're forced to play better, you become better.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I was thinking that it would be nice to have online mode have offline connections. Like in the future at some time playing online would be identical to playing offline, as far as the connection goes. This would be great for practice and gaining experience, much like how I view online is now. But there would be no debate on that point. However, people would still be playing casuals. Moreover, people wouldn't be getting the hype and atmosphere of playing offline. People often don't understand the difference between casuals and tournaments. Which I, among many other people, have stated. It's similar to having a "ranked mode" in a fighting game. Take UMK3 on XBL as an example. Say you get a pretty high rank, the top 100. Every time you play in ranked, you have something to lose. Your reputation and your rank that you worked hard to achieve. So when I play ranked, I feel differently than when I play in player matches. I sometimes even get nervous, but a lot of that has to do with fear of getting an opponent with a terrible connection.

Even with this different feeling and approach to ranked mode, it's still a casual match. At least in my opinion. I think all online fighting game matches are casuals. Though even with something insignificant and small on the line, it's still a lot different than playing in with non at all. So when you play offline at tournaments, you basically have the same things on the line, plus more stuff. Which can include money, the thought of putting in the time of getting their only to lose, your tournament life, etc. There can be more or less on the line for different people, but a lot of the same things as well. Not only is there more things on the line, which I've stated makes you play and think differently, but the atmosphere is way different as well. For one it could very well make you nervous and feel pressured. But it also could make you play better rising to a new level of play. Things that you normally wouldn't try to get out of or avoid, or things that you would shrug off and say "oh well" in a casual match, you would not do so in a tournament match. You would force yourself to find a way around certain tactics, because now you HAVE to.

All these things that a tournament brings, WILL improve your game. When you're forced to play better, you become better.
Offline will always be superior compared to online. There are so many things to factor... there's no question and believe me if i had people around me that played MK competitively... my online time would be cut in half.

Also., with being a scrub you learn the hard way that rank means SHIT. Play to win... fuck rank. Blah!

Dark_Rob

Noob
On the topic of arcades coming back on CMK:

I think this ^ would be a good start. If you go to the arcade, at the very least you would be able to play something other than the A.I. at any given time on a near flawless connection. Not to mention no hacks or other garbage.

Rage quit in that situation and you'll find your ass laughed out of your local arcade.
If I go to an arcade to play online something is wrong. I want to go to an arcade to play face to face...mano a mano. I can play online from home.(EWWWW......just EWWWW)I would literally have to be the only one in there to make me have to play online.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The best bet for MK now is for people to travel or trying to locally where they live I suppose. After speaking to phil last week via phone, he knows a lot more about me, and we had a long, interesting talk. That aside he seems like a cool guy. But I think MK9 will hopefully expand that even further. :)

I think you can always implement new interesting modes for online play, but when it comes to gameplay purely at the end of the day offline will always be better then online.

But that aside, I'm glad to hear UMK3 is fixed again on live.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Playing at NECXI really has improved my game. I am playing way better than I ever have before. Getting to play great players with zero delay or lag is so awesome I can't describe it in words. When I lost, I had no one or nothing to blame but myself. The very basic thing you need to realize in order to improve. Playing on XBL has inflated my ego, playing offline was very humbling. That slice of humble pie has never tasted so damn good! A week later from NECXI and I'm still hyped!!

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
I didn't get no improvement from going to EVO '08. All I got was a rash.

Doctor_Rouse

Mileena Player
Originally posted at:

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=3115

This is an important read for anyone considering tournament play, or wondering why they should consider it.
When I saw this, It completely reminded me of how I was treated in the community right away when my brother and I join in on the action in being offline gamers. When I went to Season's Beating for the first time, not only was I welcomed, but Phil let us play secretly before everyone else and I thought he was the COOLEST DUDE I have ever seen after that. Telling me that I needed to go with a stick( Still need to do that btw. ^_^ I'm working on getting one.) and it was nice. Not only was I a stronger player, but I made soo many new friends and played people across the globe. I just wanna thank you all for giving me a chance to shine and to be the man I am today. I wanna thank Phil personally because you have honestly made me better than what you know. You really are a true Mortal Kombat Fan just like the rest of us. Thank man. I really do appreciate it.

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
MKF30 is a very hard core right wing type guy, I might not beg to hang out with him if i were you guys...
When he loses he blames it on "Lag-bama"

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I've only been to 2 so far, and I can easily say they've been some of the funnest times in my entire life.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I don't have the money to travel either, but i do. I work a slightly above minimum wage job, have rent, utilities, and all that good stuff to pay, and still make it out. Not only that, i play a character that most would say it's impossible to win anything with, so money is definitely not guaranteed upon returning. To to it all off I have 0 local scene, and noone to travel with to help save on costs. If you want to go, you'll find a way to go. 'sall I'm sayin.

Does anyone know if the link to Pooks survival guide is still out there? The one in the article is broken and a simple google search turns up nothing :/

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I've played plenty of CoD offline tournies and did the whole gamebattles thing and the two are completely different. Offline is the true testament of skill, don't have to worry about lag and all that. I'm going to my first ever FG tourney this weekend...I know I'll get fucked up but if you want to become a winner, you have to learn to lose. You have to be a student of the game and the legends are the teachers. When you are next to a pro at these games, you see how they move and react...you learn these traits and apply them to your own game. Not to mention, in this community, the pros are willing to help you get better, I'm sure they'll be happy as hell to answer questions so you can get better so there will be bigger competitive turn out for the EVOs and the CEOs. It's not about winning 1st place, it's about building yourself to do so.

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
Props to whoever posted this thread. It made me realize that sometimes you have to sacrifice to pursue what you love.