What's new

Why this game is so unfair to zoning ?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
To be perfectly honest, I think the notion that zoning is terrible in MKX is the single biggest fallacy proliferated on this message board. There are a number of very, very good zoners. Acidic Alien, HQT Predator, Royal Storms Kitana, Sektor, and Pretty Lady are all very good at zoning. And there are a multitude of viable zoning variations.

The goal with zoning isn't to win the match. The goal is to:

a) bait your opponent into doing something stupid.
b) build meter.
c) deal a bit of extra damage.

Zoning is fine as it is. There are too many fighting games where players sit on opposite ends of the screen and toss projectiles back and forth until the clock runs out.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Piercing Mileena is definitely a zoner now. She used to be more of a neutral game reactionary character but with her buffs AND her neutral game enhancing her space control I would say she is definitely a good zoner now.

Assassin/Royal Storm/Mournful Kitana is a great zoner, she can control the space very well and teleport characters aren't even an issue, she (and any other zoner) has to make more reads against teleport characters but that doesn't mean she can't still play a keepaway/baiting game.

Summoner Quan Chi's zoning just got better because of the fact that there's a new mindgame with delayed/non-delayed rune and his zoning game was very strong already.

HQT predator's nerfs were whatever to his zoning, he still has the best zoning in the game IMO (his nerfs hurt his up-close game mostly)

Kenshi is not super good but he got better in this patch.

Sektor is a great zoner because he has very good projectiles and range.

Pyromancer got a bit better even tho I'm not sure if it got really better or Felicia better.

In MK9 zoning was a hell to deal with, if these characters got even better and the rushdown mechanics/characters got nerfed we would be in MK9 again. Less than half of the roster is a zoning character but that doesn't mean they are weak at all.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
You guys are all forgetting a really good zoner: Cyrax. He has good pressure with net jailing into net, I've seen many people do it online so it must work

The Highlander

There can be only one
I don't know, zoning is tougher in this game but it can be really strong. Isn't Mystic now quite a good zoner as well?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Zoning is fine as it is. There are too many fighting games where players sit on opposite ends of the screen and toss projectiles back and forth until the clock runs out.
Really? Which ones?

The reality is that traditional full screen zoning is almost extinct now days. Modern fighting games offer abundant options to ignore full screen zoning. Even a character like Dhalsim, who is arguably one of the first zoning characters ever created, rushes down more so than he zones in Street Fighter IV. Fighting games have changed in order to favor fast faced and offensive gameplay. Fighting game developers understand that such gameplay appeals to the casual audience a lot more than zoning does. You will have to adapt and choose a character who has some zoning yet also some very good offense and defense. Using a zoning only character in Mortal Kombat X is a complete waste of your time if you intend to win.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
mk9
Piercing Mileena is definitely a zoner now. She used to be more of a neutral game reactionary character but with her buffs AND her neutral game enhancing her space control I would say she is definitely a good zoner now.

Assassin/Royal Storm/Mournful Kitana is a great zoner, she can control the space very well and teleport characters aren't even an issue, she (and any other zoner) has to make more reads against teleport characters but that doesn't mean she can't still play a keepaway/baiting game.

Summoner Quan Chi's zoning just got better because of the fact that there's a new mindgame with delayed/non-delayed rune and his zoning game was very strong already.

HQT predator's nerfs were whatever to his zoning, he still has the best zoning in the game IMO (his nerfs hurt his up-close game mostly)

Kenshi is not super good but he got better in this patch.

Sektor is a great zoner because he has very good projectiles and range.

Pyromancer got a bit better even tho I'm not sure if it got really better or Felicia better.

In MK9 zoning was a hell to deal with, if these characters got even better and the rushdown mechanics/characters got nerfed we would be in MK9 again. Less than half of the roster is a zoning character but that doesn't mean they are weak at all.
mk9 was a fighting game

Jason Pls

Certified free as fuck
Space control and zoning are different, at least to me. Can't have fullscreen presence with no fullscreen projectile
IIRC, zoning is the act of keeping the opponent in a particular zone and out of others. Like, if you have a character with long reaching moves and slow pokes, you want to keep them out of the range where there attacks would hit, but still in the range of yours.

When people talk about zoning with projectiles, I like to think of it as 'keep-away', because, well, you're trying to keep them as far away as possible with your moves.

Right?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
IIRC, zoning is the act of keeping the opponent in a particular zone and out of others. Like, if you have a character with long reaching moves and slow pokes, you want to keep them out of the range where there attacks would hit, but still in the range of yours.

When people talk about zoning with projectiles, I like to think of it as 'keep-away', because, well, you're trying to keep them as far away as possible with your moves.

Right?
Not always you can use projectiles to bait jump ins and teleports

D

Deleted member 9158

You can't play the game so simpleminded. Zoning works if done sporadically, but you'll get your ass blown up if you rely on zoning.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think that 50/50s into restands are more of a concern.
Win matches with safe heavy pressure frame traps from normals that advance half screen at fast frames and 35% 50/50 combos into +frame restands that carry half screen? Over and over and over again? Acceptable.

Win matches with full screen projectile control, giving a character the tools to control the opponent full screen to half screen when making the right reads without risk of full combo punishment at any moment? Forbidden.

Its all about scale really. In injustice if you are at full screen and jump over a projectile, your next dash or jump in won't put you in melee range. In mkx, after one jump or dash from full screen, both players are in jump range from each other which means you get punished if your opponent reads the projectile

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I always picked 2 types of chars to play with in every game: MK9 - Noob and Johnny, Injustice Sinestro and Doomsday. All I can say is, playing Noob and Sinestro was lazy af, especially against noobs, keeping them fullscreen. It was more fun by far to get in and bully people. However, diversity needs to be in any game for it to be interesting. MKX doesn't have MK9/Injustice level zoning though, that's a fact.

Every character in every fighting game ever in a zoner. They all try to control a specific space which changes based on matchups and tools. Nrs just happens to be bad at balancing full screen zoners, I'm not sure if it's a deliberate stylistic choice to keep matches hype or incompetence though.

Mystic Ermac
After Shock/Metallic Tremor
Kitana
Hish Qu Ten Predator
Summoner/Warlock Quan
Sektor
Cyrax -> Somewhat through bombs
Full Auto Jaqui
Kenshi
Pretty Lady Leatherface
Acidic Alien
Gunslinger Erron Black
Cybernetic Kano

Just a few characters who come to mind when I think of Zoning/Space Control elements.