What's new

Why the PS3 controller sucks

Espio

Kokomo
It could just be my Dualshock. But it's a new controller, so I don't see why it would be doing this. Maybe it's just a fluke that I got a stupid one. I still don't like the Dualshock for other reasons though. I was just so happy that my Hori pads came in the mail today that I had to make a video.

I also have HUGE problems doing Stryker's D4, gun with the Dualshock (I always get D4, grenade). With the Hori pad? No problems.
Yeah, I mean sometimes we get defective stuff, but you don't seem to be alone in having this issue with the pad type from what I gathered reading some of the comments.

I'm glad you're more satisfied with the Hori pad haha :).

I hate getting down 4 grenade, I cry errytime ;_;.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I used to have problems with the ps3 pad as well, but after awhile it just grew on me and now it's my preferred pad along with the ps2 pad as well.

Matix218

Get over here!
Don't waste your money. 3 hori pads is 90+ dollars. The dpad stops working because HFC3 uses shit rubber contacts, and the dpad is too stiff (not floating), and all that combined adds too much torque, so it eventually tears off the dpad contacts inside the pad, rendering it useless. Pad makers don't take their products seriously anymore. My nes pad from 1987 works flawlessly. no problem. I smashed those inputs all over the place playing Tyson. My 6 button Sega genesis pad worked flawlessly until I took the rubber out to put it in a Chinese Knockoff Saturn pad. All the pad makers of today use shit for parts inside, and there's no option to just buy new rubber contacts]
Dude I took apart the one that went bad and holy crap you were not kidding about that d pad's rubber/contacts, the rubber sheet is so paper thin where the contacts attach it is ridiculous ... 3 of my contacts had separated and were just free floating in there, no wonder it stopped registering directional inputs. I hope my next one lasts a year like my last one did but after seeing this I am not optimistic ... if that one little piece was thicker (or if replacement parts were available) it would make a huge difference but wow, hori really dropped the ball on quality with that stupid part...

Matix218

Get over here!
The best contacts I've seen are the original Sega 6button pad (made in Japan), the original 3 button Sega pad(made in Taiwan), N64(don't remember where it was made), and the Sony Six Axis, and all the other Sony pads. Only flaw with Sony pads is that the dpad isn't floating. But yeah, I was floored when I opened my Hori pad, and found how thin the rubber was. It was absurd. and they let you transform the pad and stuff, too. That can't be good for that contact. I just don't get why they don't build them to last instead of wasting so much money on gimmicks like the transforming pad, and turbo functions. I assume they do it so people will do what I did, and breakdown and pay 100's of dollars for sticks.
Its so dumb...especially since making that rubber piece thicker would literally cost them maybe 45 cents per pad. Its so frustrating for players who prefer pad

nwo

Noob
I use a ps2 pad for racing games, I didn't like the L2 and R2 buttons on the ps3, and overall it just felt like a lightweight piece of shit. I also don't like wireless devices when it comes to serious gaming. I switched to an arcade stick like a year and a half ago, and I'll NEVER go back to pad for fighting games.

I agree ps3 pad is overrated, but this video doesn't really show that. If anything, it says 2 things. 1) you're more used to hori pad which is why the inputs you want to come out will always come out unlike ps3 pad or 2) MK does not read the inputs from ps3 pad correctly.

MK doesn't read diagonal inputs. That's why if you press db too soon or simultaneously, you won't get the quarter circle motion. If the negative edge isn't working, try letting go of the button sooner (or do the motion slower).