What's new

Why the PS3 controller sucks

AYSAMO

Noob
I agree 100%. I just bought 2 more after my first one essentially fell apart after about 8 months of heavy use. That's the only draw back to these pads. I also agree about releasing a model that doesn't have the dumb rotating d-pad. I don't really notice a difference when I adjust the knob in the back either (apparently it adjusts the controller's sensitivity to diagonal inputs). It'd be nice for an Xbox version as well. I guess I could get a converter?

If someone knows of a better pad, then I'd love to hear it because I have honestly searched high and low and cannot find a better one.

Yea I plan on buying 2 more now when Injustice comes out, so I can have one that is always responsive and tight for tournaments, and the other for casual play and practice. Although honestly I feel like I might end up using my hitbox on Injustice since there's no block button.

I also have not been able to figure out wtf that dial on the back does. Rather I know what it's SUPPOSED to do, but I can feel zero difference. My first pad broke down really fast since I was experimented a lot with the D-Pad customization options, and on the second pad I didn't change anything. I'm considering gluing that fucking wheel on the bottom in place, because I have a strong feeling it's the main culprit in ruining the D-Pads.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Yea I plan on buying 2 more now when Injustice comes out, so I can have one that is always responsive and tight for tournaments, and the other for casual play and practice. Although honestly I feel like I might end up using my hitbox on Injustice since there's no block button.

I also have not been able to figure out wtf that dial on the back does. Rather I know what it's SUPPOSED to do, but I can feel zero difference. My first pad broke down really fast since I was experimented a lot with the D-Pad customization options, and on the second pad I didn't change anything. I'm considering gluing that fucking wheel on the bottom in place, because I have a strong feeling it's the main culprit in ruining the D-Pads.
I ended up taking apart my 1st Hori pad after the d-pad was completely fucked, and found that one of the d-pad circuit net beads that make contact with the actual circuit board simply gave out. The only thing keeping the beads lodged inside of the net is the beads themselves -- the bottom half of the beads are cut just a bit smaller so that they just sit on top of the little holes in the circuit net. It's an incredibly sensitive design and I'm not exactly sure how the controllers last as long as they do with parts that delicate.

I actually tried taking the circuit net out of an old PS3 controller I had and swapping it out, and while it sort of fixed the responsiveness problem, the d-pad was just too mushy afterwards. Then I tried gluing the little circuit net bead back into the original net, but that made the net too stiff so the bead wouldn't make contact with the circuit board. I gave up after that and threw it all away.

The sensitivity dial on the back could have a part in it too. We'll see how long this one lasts without touching it or the rotation dial.

AYSAMO

Noob
I ended up taking apart my 1st Hori pad after the d-pad was completely fucked, and found that one of the d-pad circuit net beads that make contact with the actual circuit board simply gave out. The only thing keeping the beads lodged inside of the net is the beads themselves -- the bottom half of the beads are cut just a bit smaller so that they just sit on top of the little holes in the circuit net. It's an incredibly sensitive design and I'm not exactly sure how the controllers last as long as they do with parts that delicate.

I actually tried taking the circuit net out of an old PS3 controller I had and swapping it out, and while it sort of fixed the responsiveness problem, the d-pad was just too mushy afterwards. Then I tried gluing the little circuit net bead back into the original net, but that made the net too stiff so the bead wouldn't make contact with the circuit board. I gave up after that and threw it all away.

The sensitivity dial on the back could have a part in it too. We'll see how long this one lasts without touching it or the rotation dial.
Yea I remember trying to take it apart and do the same thing with my first pad. My second one I actually pull apart to clean every month now, as tedious as that is. It has lasted much longer then the first one so far.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
the only game i really liked the ps2 controllers better with was Devil May Cry 3. mostly because i used R2 as the jump button and doing that with a ps3 controller is kinda weird. Still like the ps3 controller tho.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I love the DS3 I have never had any problems with it, but definitely play the game with the pad you feel most comfortable with.

Goldi

Noob
Hitbox forever <3

Without a jump button, I find myself doing it inadvertently non stop. The funny thing is, jumping and swinging randomly is often rewarded online in this game lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If I can find a way to get the Logitech F310 to work on PS3 and 360, that would be my pad of choice. Unfortunately, they're strictly PC. :(

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Another pad option is the Madcatz ones. Many moons ago before I got a stick for SF4 I used it and liked it, its more like a sega genesis d-pad though, the Hori FC3 looks more like a SNES d-pad. I know Slips still uses this, Delriach used to use this before he got hitbox too.

Right now the ones they sell are SFxT ones I believe, mine was SF4 and Slips has John Cena WWE Pad lol. They are all the same though I think, so it doesn't really matter. They are hella cheap nowadays too, they are on sale often for $20 from the Gameshark store and elsewhere.

The nice benefit is to these to is that you have an option for both systems, as they make the same pad for Xbox 360 and PS3. I think they Hori FC3 is PS3 only but I could be mistaken.

Lulzlou

Noob
I can do 2ndc perfectly on ps3 pads, ps2 pads and that madcatz fight pad.
There is nothing wrong with the pad

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Glad I'm not the only one who takes issue with this.

I just don't understand why some of us are cursed by these fucking things, and some people make them work like magic.

Spaghetti.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Ps1 pads are where it's at. Take them sticks out and it's good to go. Mines lasted almost a year with 0 problems.

im happy with this hori pad, i was using an fighstick for mk9 but the fact that in mk9 u r dashing all day its quite annoying with stick imo.
its definitely much smoother to dash (dash juggle combos) with dpad
madcatz pads are thrash, they broke quick and they DONT have 4 buttons on the back!
i mean the hori got six buttons in front AND 4 on the back!

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm on my 2nd Hori fc3 pro pad. My first one lasted about a year until the d pad stopped working (when I pressed left on the d pad the pad would register it as down). Hopefully my new one will last at least as long (love the hori pad, best pad I've used). I actually got 2 more new ones in reserve just to be safe and I'm glad because they are getting harder to find and more expensive.

A lot of people have been saying they use the Dualshock 2 pads, maybe I should try them instead.
dualshock 2 is better, I use it no problems at all. maybe only when I try to get a spin with kung lao I sometimes get a d1 or standing 1, might be the pad or inputbug, but I dont mess up these inputs for any other fighting game with the ps2 pad.

Wow I thought that ps3 controllers were perfectly fine for ps3 users.Im on 360 and whenever I use a ps3 controller,it hurts the hell out of my hand after a few rounds.i can do back forward or similar commands with ease on it but i struggle with the corner circles.Its vice versa for 36o.I do corner circles with ease but struggle with back forwards.and my character have a down forward 3 special so it's tough for me to be able to dash and immediately do a d3 on a 360 controller but i can do it on a ps3 controller.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I request complete captions for this video for our TYM members watching this video in a shopping mall food court over the sounds of screaming children and Amy Winehouse music videos.

I can`t hear you.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
No. Just that this game has retarded input registration.
Someone else said this, but why doesn't the Hori controller have this problem?

Another pad option is the Madcatz ones. Many moons ago before I got a stick for SF4 I used it and liked it, its more like a sega genesis d-pad though, the Hori FC3 looks more like a SNES d-pad. I know Slips still uses this, Delriach used to use this before he got hitbox too.

Right now the ones they sell are SFxT ones I believe, mine was SF4 and Slips has John Cena WWE Pad lol. They are all the same though I think, so it doesn't really matter. They are hella cheap nowadays too, they are on sale often for $20 from the Gameshark store and elsewhere.

The nice benefit is to these to is that you have an option for both systems, as they make the same pad for Xbox 360 and PS3. I think they Hori FC3 is PS3 only but I could be mistaken.
I have used those and they are good. The d-pad is just a bit too "big and wobbly" for my tastes but it's still solid. I did use it for a good while for the 360 and one thing those controllers have over the Hori is durability; they last for a damn long time. I may actually get another one of these just as a backup. Yeah, the Hori pad is only for PS3 which makes me sad.

I also have the John Cena/Hulk Hogan one, and I'm tempted to mark out John Cena's big dumb face with Sharpie. He's not allowed to share the same space as Hogan.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Don't waste your money. 3 hori pads is 90+ dollars. The dpad stops working because HFC3 uses shit rubber contacts, and the dpad is too stiff (not floating), and all that combined adds too much torque, so it eventually tears off the dpad contacts inside the pad, rendering it useless. Pad makers don't take their products seriously anymore. My nes pad from 1987 works flawlessly. no problem. I smashed those inputs all over the place playing Tyson. My 6 button Sega genesis pad worked flawlessly until I took the rubber out to put it in a Chinese Knockoff Saturn pad. All the pad makers of today use shit for parts inside, and there's no option to just buy new rubber contacts, so I quit fooling with pads. Bought a stick.

This is the perfect design that I've made. It combines the best of the SFxT pad(floating dpad, raised to 5/8"), and the best of HFC3(All buttons on right side). I've begged Mark Man to make something like this. It wouldn't matter though because if they don't use sturdier parts inside of the pad then it will still break down.

First Ms paint sketch:
This is unfortunately true. I was using Google earlier to find if there are any stores that sell small controller parts like the rubber contacts and found nothing. I am seriously considering sucking it up and just buying a quality fight stick to avoid this.

That controller looks solid except I would request an L2 button.