What's new

Why NOT play online?

nwo

Noob
I was playing UMK3 online back in like 2003 on Kaillera, through til maybe 2009 filling out a 967 and 33 record on ranked matches for XBLA. I had fun probably less than 50% of the time I was playing, even when I was winning. In addition, life started getting a bit more adult in my mid 20s so I gradually bowed out of competitive gaming on a serious level in general, sticking only to UMK3 at tournaments. That's basically why I stopped.
You basically stopped playing on Kaillera when I started. I found out about MAME in like 2002 and tried to run UMK3 on this piece of shit HP Celeron, it ran choppy and had sound problems. I thought it was cool though that it was emulating the arcade machine.

I wish I had found out about Kaillera a lot sooner, I think I was too busy playing Counter Strike.

I was playing UMK3 online back in like 2003 on Kaillera, through til maybe 2009 filling out a 967 and 33 record on ranked matches for XBLA. I had fun probably less than 50% of the time I was playing, even when I was winning. In addition, life started getting a bit more adult in my mid 20s so I gradually bowed out of competitive gaming on a serious level in general, sticking only to UMK3 at tournaments. That's basically why I stopped.
I got you. That part about adult life is probably why I never got into competitive gaming until I was 30. Went through a bad divorce and had all kinds of time on my hands. UMK3 essentially became my anti-drug, kept me from going off the rails.

Of course, I'm getting married again in 10 days, so there may be a sharp decline in my gaming habits. I never played much more than MK in the past several years anyway. But I will definitely be around still

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
@Drakonian , Me and @tehdrewsus will be playing MAME at 10PM EST we need 1 more player who is in???

We will be playing fast paced 2016 Style UMK3 If anyone wants to put thier Big Boy pants on and take off thier diapers There Will Be MK.

@Mikemetroid you hoppin on UMK3 tonight or what ???

MSG me or Drew
I gotta set it up, maybe this weekend. I'll even stream for ya. Too busy playing Overwatch

you really should have went to the Ohio tournament man. you're really close in comparison to a lot of people that went and it would have been a great experience for you. if another Ohio tournament happens i hope you will come out and have a good time playing matches offline, there is nothing like it.

i play street fighter also and i should be getting a ps4 soon (i wanna get a xbox 360 for more mk kompetition but poor xbox 360 keeps getting put on the back burner)
Yeah I wish I was there man. Great fights especially that jax spic unit had. I would have loved to face him.

I got you. That part about adult life is probably why I never got into competitive gaming until I was 30. Went through a bad divorce and had all kinds of time on my hands. UMK3 essentially became my anti-drug, kept me from going off the rails.

Of course, I'm getting married again in 10 days, so there may be a sharp decline in my gaming habits. I never played much more than MK in the past several years anyway. But I will definitely be around still
@tehdrewsus, have fun with your wedding, I will add u and plat. Shin. this weekend, we can session later when you and your new spouse get settled, iam in no rush and look forward to practice, take care of important matters, Blue gragon

I have a general question. When I watch people play on strean, I see the ping registered in numbers. However, when I play at home its registered in red, yellow, and green bars. Why is this?

@tehdrewsus, have fun with your wedding, I will add u and plat. Shin. this weekend, we can session later when you and your new spouse get settled, iam in no rush and look forward to practice, take care of important matters, Blue gragon
Sounds good.

@Platinum Shinobi lets squash the beef here and now. You're a quality Mk player and I got no problem with you. No point in holding a grudge when we can grow the community.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You basically stopped playing on Kaillera when I started. I found out about MAME in like 2002 and tried to run UMK3 on this piece of shit HP Celeron, it ran choppy and had sound problems. I thought it was cool though that it was emulating the arcade machine.

I wish I had found out about Kaillera a lot sooner, I think I was too busy playing Counter Strike.
I think I started using MAME in like 2000, maybe 1999. I know I used Callas for Capcom games in 99 when I still had dialup, and I believe that took me to MAME. In the early 2000s I was using a P3 550mhz on Win2K with no sound to play UMK3 at like 80% frame rate half the time, 1x windowed, no filter. In summer 2003 I got a P4 3.2ghz (dual 1.6s) and could finally play the game full speed, full screen with sound. All the people on Kaillera with less than adequate computers would desync constantly so I spread a no sound rule for under performing PCs on Kaillera, this helped some players maintain speed and less desyncs.

Kaillera started getting more and more horrendous due to people from different areas playing on servers too far and you had to use the "Good" connection type. I played a LOT of MvC, and I hated the input issues on good setting, in addition to the version of mame at the time having issues with half circle inputs. Eventually a number of us on the east coast with decent pings, like less than 30ms, filtered down to have serious matches on the LAN setting, and that was wonderful by netplay standards. It was hard to find UMK3 players who I could use LAN with.

Reactions: nwo

MRIGOTBASS

I think I started using MAME in like 2000, maybe 1999. I know I used Callas for Capcom games in 99 when I still had dialup, and I believe that took me to MAME. In the early 2000s I was using a P3 550mhz on Win2K with no sound to play UMK3 at like 80% frame rate half the time, 1x windowed, no filter. In summer 2003 I got a P4 3.2ghz (dual 1.6s) and could finally play the game full speed, full screen with sound. All the people on Kaillera with less than adequate computers would desync constantly so I spread a no sound rule for under performing PCs on Kaillera, this helped some players maintain speed and less desyncs.

Kaillera started getting more and more horrendous due to people from different areas playing on servers too far and you had to use the "Good" connection type. I played a LOT of MvC, and I hated the input issues on good setting, in addition to the version of mame at the time having issues with half circle inputs. Eventually a number of us on the east coast with decent pings, like less than 30ms, filtered down to have serious matches on the LAN setting, and that was wonderful by netplay standards. It was hard to find UMK3 players who I could use LAN with.
Let me ask you an honest question. Do you feel you could have fun playing the game how its played now??? Minus any outside of the game BS, do you feel you could actually have fun playing the game with Glitchjabs and all the dirty shit left in it?

I get decent connections with players 4-500 miles from anyone, P2P is definitely more viable than server. @Shock I'd love to play some casuals with you sometime just to test and see how it plays compared to before.

@everyone, I posted this on scorpion forums and no one responded, so sorry to post something not related to why not play online, but I will, can anyone explain this to me, offline CPU hard fight/training modes, I am able to punish scorpions normal kombo string which is 114, block adv of -2 and it is a push back kombo string

@everyone, I posted this on scorpion forums and no one responded, so sorry to post something not related to why not play online, but I will, can anyone explain this to me, offline CPU hard fight/training modes, I am able to punish scorpions normal kombo string which is 114, block adv of -2 and it is a push back kombo string
Which MK specifically?

Which MK specifically?
Hey what's up, mkx, had a minute and did it several times during hard practice, after his final hit, of which I blocked all 3 in his 114, I immediately did the 27 percent spec move kombo, just like I do against a blocked teleport/flame, (of which 114cancels into tele/flame port or takedown), as you know f33 is a normal, so no armoring is done and I don't believe there is a gap in 114xxspecial, it does not react like finding a gap would, so ?

Last edited:

MRIGOTBASS

Maybe not. Havent had time to set it up. Don't feel like playing just so you guys can say I suck at the game. Lol
I think most of the UMK3 players would appreciate someone actually taking the time to do a stream for them. I know that a few of the guys were really looking forward to you maybe streaming UMK3.

Mike we know you suck at the game, believe me we know this, however you are part of the KN dude and that whole shit was built on UMK3, Without UMK3 there is no KN least you could do is show the UMK3 guys a little love.

Really disappointed man.

Anyone else does streaming that maybe could host a UMK3 night and help out???

@Shock ???