What's new

Why NOT play online?

I still play online. But the game is becoming more and more dead. All the good players avoid me on psn. Why_7779311 checks players met and leaves if it's me. I__AM__DRUUUUNK talks mad shit then leaves. Apparently I ruined umk3 for people (on psn that is) HughHefner also hates me.
@platnum shinobi,
Iam fairly new to mk, been playing for months, completely understand frame data, punishing and so on, I just need to strengthen my reflexes and needs lots of play experience, I play hard CPU and win the vast majority of matches but only have played against 5 CPU characters, need lot of time to learn all match ups, I am not good, but want to spend long term getting good, u are most likely a top player, would you consider online sparring

Last edited:

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
Y'all think UMK is bad, try finding high level competition on MK2. Just doesn't exist outside of all the Latin/Central American players. Shame really. I do play UMK3 on the regular on PSN though but my schedule must be completely different from most of you. I'm not near the level as I am at MK2 but I can hang. I also have it set up on MAME. Online is what it is....I still like the game so I deal with it. I'll play though if any of you are looking for games.

Element_

The First Element
Y'all think UMK is bad, try finding high level competition on MK2. Just doesn't exist outside of all the Latin/Central American players. Shame really. I do play UMK3 on the regular on PSN though but my schedule must be completely different from most of you. I'm not near the level as I am at MK2 but I can hang. I also have it set up on MAME. Online is what it is....I still like the game so I deal with it. I'll play though if any of you are looking for games.
Is there actually high level MK2? Compared to UMK3.

Really dude? Are you new to MK?
@Kensidj, iam new to mk, just starting out, I love the complexity of the game, this is the type of game that will take years to get real good at and completely understand fighting mechanics and set up stratagies, I have never played a video game before, so I picked mk because I knew I could burry myself into it and enjoy the learning curve journey, which to me is gratifying, not just picking a game and becoming good in a few days.

Last edited:

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
@Kensidj, iam new to mk, just starting out, I love the complexity of the game, this is the type of game that will take years to get real good at and completely understand fighting mechanics and set up stratagies, I have never played a video game before, so I picked mk because I knew I could burry myself into it and enjoy the learning curve journey, which to me is gratifying, not just picking a game and becoming good in a few days.
Sweet man! My sarcasm wasn't directed at you lol. Kudos though! Keep at it!

I don't like the rage quitters and people knowing the fact they won't play them anymore so they go and make 50 million different accounts. I still play every blue moon but it's not as fun to me anymore so I moved on to gta 5 on ps4 and I'm starting to get more into street fighter

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
Not new bro. I just never seen or heard of MK2 tournaments. I didn't think the game would even be viable tbh. UMK3 is much better.
Opinions are good, I'm down with that. This thread isn't about which game is better though. There have definitely been tournaments in mk2....most of which have been online. Regardless, there's only a very small handful of people that play umk3 competitively anymore....and even less mk2. Trust though that back in the good old days....both games thrived very well in the competitive scene.

NoDoubt

nasty
Opinions are good, I'm down with that. This thread isn't about which game is better though. There have definitely been tournaments in mk2....most of which have been online. Regardless, there's only a very small handful of people that play umk3 competitively anymore....and even less mk2. Trust though that back in the good old days....both games thrived very well in the competitive scene.
Preach it boy

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
I think it would be cool of MK Arcade Collection made it to the xbox one backwards comparability list..i would totally be up to play it again (even though the netcode is sometimes...questionable from the little i did play).

Maybe that would spark some interest on the console side of things again?

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
Well if anyone wants to play on psn, please add me. I only get a few matches on ranked so I get pretty bored. Or if anyone wants to get down on mk9 I'm about it. I've been playing mk9 for a couple years now.

MRIGOTBASS

@Drakonian , Me and @tehdrewsus will be playing MAME at 10PM EST we need 1 more player who is in???

We will be playing fast paced 2016 Style UMK3 If anyone wants to put thier Big Boy pants on and take off thier diapers There Will Be MK.

@Mikemetroid you hoppin on UMK3 tonight or what ???

MSG me or Drew

Well if anyone wants to play on psn, please add me. I only get a few matches on ranked so I get pretty bored. Or if anyone wants to get down on mk9 I'm about it. I've been playing mk9 for a couple years now.
@PlatinumShinobi,
Hi platinum shinobi, will add u this week for sessions, just remember I need lots of improvement, but i am in this game for the very long term, when I really like something, I work at it, and I do realize it will take years to get to a level to be somewhat competitive against players like you

@PlatinumShinobi,
Hi platinum shinobi, will add u this week for sessions, just remember I need lots of improvement, but i am in this game for the very long term, when I really like something, I work at it, and I do realize it will take years to get to a level to be somewhat competitive against players like you
He's a good dude to learn against. I'll help out if I can. Add me on PSN.

dubson

Noob
I don't like the rage quitters and people knowing the fact they won't play them anymore so they go and make 50 million different accounts. I still play every blue moon but it's not as fun to me anymore so I moved on to gta 5 on ps4 and I'm starting to get more into street fighter
you really should have went to the Ohio tournament man. you're really close in comparison to a lot of people that went and it would have been a great experience for you. if another Ohio tournament happens i hope you will come out and have a good time playing matches offline, there is nothing like it.

i play street fighter also and i should be getting a ps4 soon (i wanna get a xbox 360 for more mk kompetition but poor xbox 360 keeps getting put on the back burner)

Last edited:
@tehdrewsus, I will add you also, just remember i am new ans totally suck, but I really want to get to a descent level over a long period of learning, like years is fine with me

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Drakonian @ddy_08 @ddy_08 @dubson @YourMKArcadeSource @McLOV1NS @Spic Unit @NoDoubt @YOMI REO @Trukuu777 @nwo @NobilityV3 @MRIGOTBASS @Juggs @Platinum Shinobi
@Shock
Tag others as you see fit.

What's the deal with not wanting to play online?
I mean, I get when you're trying to circumvent the globe to play with 500ms delay. But otherwise, why not? This game is FUN. I get it doesn't play the same offline as it does online - the tournament experience taught me that. I played better offline. EVERYONE does I think.
I prefer Mame to psn, I feel Mame is more responsive, less dropped inputs, and just feels better in identical ping. But I'll still play on psn. I'll still play online.
What's the hang up? Afraid to lose? Worried that you'll be 'exposed'?? Anybody worth their weight in salt has enough of a mind to know that online ability doesn't extend to offline ability.
I played @Trukuu777 on n64 mkt last night. Connection was decent. I lost a few rounds due to some lag issues. So did he. But you know what? It was fun.
When did this game, this small, dwindling but thriving community get so caught up in NOT playing online? I came from online. I'm not an OG or one of the best, but a lot DID come from online.
Community needs to grow. It needs to survive. That doesn't come from only playing offline in tournaments throughout the country or picking and choosing who you'll play online.
I was playing UMK3 online back in like 2003 on Kaillera, through til maybe 2009 filling out a 967 and 33 record on ranked matches for XBLA. I had fun probably less than 50% of the time I was playing, even when I was winning. In addition, life started getting a bit more adult in my mid 20s so I gradually bowed out of competitive gaming on a serious level in general, sticking only to UMK3 at tournaments. That's basically why I stopped.

Reactions: nwo