What's new

Breakthrough - Kenshi Why Kenshi sucks so much (exhaustive string analysis)

Lokheit

Noob
I know most changes for KP2 are probably decided by now, maybe not, but I wanted to post this before it comes.

I intend to make a detailed move info table for Kenshi, including a lot of info the game doesn't tell (for example damage scale for every move) like the one I did for Sub-Zero ( http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-exhaustive-move-data.58034/ ) but the thing is, when you analyze his moveset, you clearly see that it's not that he sucks, he sucks at his very core and improving 1 or 2 specials here and there won't help the character unless almost half of his moves change.

I know characters doesn't need a huge set of useful strings to be useful, Scorpion has very few strings and works well and most characters have 2 or 3 strings that doesn't have any use (for example Sub-Zero shouldn't use 114 and 112, there is no point on it). But when a character shouldn't use more than half of his moves, you know that something is wrong and in the case of Kenshi there are a lot of moves that are there... just to fill his moveset, because some are so bad that it doesn't make any sense from a game balance perspective.

Maybe not all these changes should occur, but at least half of them must change if Kenshi wants to play with the big boys (and some specific moves need a fix no mater which others are buffed or not).

So here it comes, Kenshi full string analysis (I will refer to most strings using the longest version of it to avoid listing "1", "11", "111" separately):

Universal Kenshi strings:

111:

This soon on his moveset comes the first complete no sense, no logic, crappy move on Kenshi's arsenal: The last hit of 111 has a penalty of 0.85 (meaning that all damage after it is multiplied by 0.85, most hits apply a penalty of 0.95 and 0.85 is a number that you see on launchers and stuns).

So you would think that 111 launches... but nope, it doesn't... so it should punch for a lot of damage then? Nope, just 3 damage (which means that combos from 11 deal more damage than 111 because of the damage penalty, which doesn't make sense as 111 is the natural continuation of 11), so then... it should be like plus on block or something and is your safe option? Nope, it jumps from safe on 11 to a freaking -19 on 111 and of course it has gaps on its cancels. And the first hit on the string has 9 frames start up, so it's not like a super punishing string or something.

So here you go, first step into improving Kenshi is making that 0.85 a 0.95 like every single regular hit in the game, and also trim that -19 penalty down to at least half of it, one thing is to be unsafe and a different one is to write a suicide letter while attacking.

114:

114 is a launcher move... the problem is that you can only follow a combo in the corner (midscreen you hit with one of your long range moves and that's it) and on top of that, your meterless rising karma has better damage, better damage scale, combos midscreen and is safer (while also building some extra meter) so... why would you use 114?

Granted that Possesed lacking a launcher would benefit from it, but this is a universal string. I think if at least it was safe on block (-6 for a lost turn, nothing plus or close to 0) and retained the same properties it would have at least some use (you get to choose between the better but unsafe launcher, or the safe one with worse results and it still can only full combo in the corner).

B1:

GOOD MOVE!

Although B1 is a bit slow, it has good reach and damage and would be fine without changes (at this point Kenshi takes anything that doesn't suck with cheers and tears of joy).

D1:

GOOD MOVE!

8 frames poke, you get to use it specially to juggle in the corner. 8 frames is also as fast as Kenshi goes currently (which is a general problem).

2:

I want to talk about "2" before talking about its children because at 11 frames (and being a high) it makes everything following it not so useful.

Kenshi is in desperate need of a combo starter with some speed, and considering that strings from "2" won't lead into high damage, I think it wouldn't hurt if this one had a speed of 8 frames (Kenshi can't combo from moves starting at 8f in his current state and doesn't have even pokes faster than that).

2112+4:

This is a launcher that like 114 only works in the corner, but it's even worse given how it's really hard to follow up even with a D1 in the corner and on top of that it's -21 on block.

Again, no reason to use it when you can cancel 211 into a different and more effective launcher, and even better, not even start your combo with the slow 11 frames "2" and use a different one ignoring this one even exists.

To be of some use not only should it be easy to connect a combo, the natural damage of 2112+4 final hit should be higher than Kenshi's launchers or there wouldn't be any reason to use it over the special move. Otherwise, remove it from the game and you won't notice the difference.

224:

22 has a couple of good properties (restand and side change) although as previously mentioned, "2" should be faster to make its children useful.

224 though doesn't make sense, it says you can cancel it on its frame info, but you can't and you can get better results with a push or juggle cancel on any variation. I won't mention the -19 on block as a negative because you can't execute it if 22 is blocked so it doesn't matter much.

Make 224 cancelable and then we will be using it, otherwise cancel after the hit confirmable 22 for better results and remove this one from the game.

B2:

At 21 frames you would expect something more useful than just being good on block. You can't cancel it and you can get similar safe results from different strings. Like 224, the frame info says you can cancel it but you can't, so if it's buffed into a real cancelable move like its frame data says, we can talk about uses. Otherwise, you have much better uses of 21 frames of your time.

F2:

16 frame start, less damage than the also long reaching B1 ( which is just 1 frame slower) and leaves gaps when special canceling. Ignore it unless it's buffed with KP2 into something useful.

D2:

GOOD MOVE!

8 frames uppercut. That's actually a good uppercut! Yay!!

3:

3 has a lot of potential, being a very very rare case of a standing hit that is a Mid instead of a High (almost all standing, no directional commands in the game are High), and at 11 frames it's actually good for a kick (another reason for "2" to look so bad because of its speed being the same as a High punch)... the problem? The problem is that all of its children suck A LOT and unless you're playing Kenjutsu which replaces all of them, there is no point on using anything starting with "3" on Balanced and Possesed.

321:

-19 on block, can't be canceled, the same effect can be achieved with a safer push cancel. Don't use it.

The animation looks like he hits low so I guess it could be changed from Mid to Low, but IDK, the whole "3--" family is screwed and need a complete rework.

322:

322 has children but I want to mention that it has a 0.9 damage scale instead of your typical 0.95 one as I mentioned when talking about 111. It also is a knock down so if you cancel into a launcher, gravity is harder and you can't juggle as much from this one. Yeepee!!! U.U

3223:

On top of 322 woes, this one is -22 on block and even if it were safe doesn't have much use (it's +36 kd on hit, so there is that, but... just ignore it).

3224:

This one at least is an OH (can't cancel into anything though) and still unsafe (-14). Could have potential with Possesed... but no, not really, screw this whole 322 string family. It shouldn't even exist.

B32:

GOOD MOVE!

Low starter, safe, cancelable (although being a launcher it makes combos limited in Kenjutsu). Take it and run!!

F32:

GOOD MOVE!!

2 in a row!!!! AMAZING!!! Good damage instead of the low and basically very similar to B32.

D3:

11 frames poke, you're not going to win many poke battles with this one but at least it has a bit of hit advantage and is safe... could be faster though.

421F2:

421 is good (GOOD MOVE!) even if 4 is slow and a High, but this last "F2" should be safe with pushback on block (the whole string is safe and hit confirmable) otherwise ignore it and either stop at 421 or cancel into your push cancels that on block push enough to avoid a grab unlike this one.

43:

GOOD MOVE!

Your main damage combo ender, you will only beat it with F32 into EX move for high damage or combo extension because F32 scales better, but the whole combo should end into 43SpecialCancel.

B4, F4 and D4:

To avoid making this too long, the same can be said of all of them:

They all have potential and can be used, but they all would benefit from a speed up (14, 18 and 13 frames each). Kenshi feels really slow and has almost no way to escape pressure without meter, overall his moves could use a bit of speed and it wouldn't hurt.

4D4 and 4412:

I mention these 2 together because I think they should be combined. The animation of 4D4 is the same than 44 after all, so it doesn't make sense that 4D4 is an OH and 44 isn't.

If 44 is changed into an overhead, Balanced and Possesed would get an OH to start combos (and still fair as it's very reactable because it's on the second hit of the string, not a real 50/50 but at least not autowin by blocking low).

4412 has gaps before "1" and also before "2" but that would be ok if 44 becomes an OH (we're talking about Kenshi, if we're offered "not crap" we take it and run).

Jumping Attacks:

Jumping attacks are more or less OK (NJK sucks and it's mostly there for Possesed teleport, but most characters have at least one of their jumping attacks sucking anyway), if anything I'd like to see JIP1 range extended a bit so you can insta JIP from starting range like Kung Jin, Kung Lao or Sub-Zero (who uses his bare hands instead of a sword, Kenshi should reach from that distance), but that's all.

Possesed Exclusive Strings:

Possesed loses 2112+4 (not a big deal unless 2112+4 is buffed into decency) and 211 becomes a knock back (so you can't link as much stuff as the other variations even if you can cancel into it) and replaces F4 with...

F4:

29 frames start up, -20 on block... it's a low and has good range, but call me again when it's +2 on block or I'm not using this non cancelable piece of (insert expletive of your choice).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, he even has a faster, safe full screen low which makes the urge to buff F4 even bigger if you want to find a use for it.

Kenjutsu Exclusive Strings:

Kenjutsu replaces B2, F2 and the whole "3--" crappy family (while keeping the at least useful "3" part). It also changes the 111 string to use a sword.

111:

GOOD MOVE!

Long reach (not on the first hit though), decent damage and the most important part: Not a freaking 0.85 damage penalty like the universal version of 111.

F2:

GOOD MOVE!

Overhead combo starter, it's slow but many OH are slow, so take it and run, run as far as you can and don't look back.

B2:

This is the point where apparently someone decided to throw a bunch of OH just because. F2 is useful, but B2 is crap. 27 frames start, -18 on block, -3 ON HIT, can't cancel into special.

Fun fact: F2 apparently has better reach than B2 despite the animation looking like it should advance with B2.

There is nothing you can do with B2 that F2 can't do better (and if you want damage and KD, cancel F2 into DF1 and there you go).

The "stomp lows" property doesn't come into play when most lows hit before you're in that part of your slow animation.

For B2 to have a slight chance of seeing the light, it should have a longer range (make it an actual lunge instead of jumping in place, so you can attack from the same range than Possesed F4) and be safe or even positive on block (the animation looks like it hits like a truck) and not negative on hit. Otherwise don't even try, the move is atrocious on its current state and using it is either an open declaration of intentionally losing the game or showing your absolute superiority by using moves that make you lose to see if you can win even with that (B2 is the new teabagging).

311:

GOOD MOVE!

3 is a mid and the last hit is a Low, you can mixup with 31DF1 so opponents have to guess between the Low and the OH.

322:

Not so useful, it's not that it's a bad move, but it's a worse version of 311.

Many players think 322 should be OH like 311 is a low, but I don't think that's the solution because 311 can be mixed into OH with DF1 anyway while 322 can't be canceled into a Low (so no mind games).

What I would do with this move to make it useful is make the second hit "32" be super plus on hit (+20-25), like Cryomancer's F12, allowing a free 50/50 if you stop there, and make 322 safe on block.

This way you press 32, if you hit you go for the 50/50, if it's blocked, you press the last "2" for the safe "322". This change would spice Kenjutsu's game without being game breaking (it's not even a dirty trick, Cryo is Mid tier and can do the same).

Kenshi's Launcher and Messed Up Double Damage Penalty:

I just wanted to go in depth on Kenshi's normals, but there is something else that I want to add that is common to all Kenshi's variations: Damage Penalty on his launchers is messed up and applies multiple damage penalties on a single hit:

There was a patch where it was mentioned that some Kenshi's moves weren't scaling as intended, and from that patch ALL VERSIONS of Kenshi DB1 have 2 damage penalties instead of 1.

Damage penalties in general come in jumps of 0.05 (0.95, 0.9, 0.85, 0.8... etc...) with the exception of the "hard cap penalty" that is 0.66 (uppercuts have it and some moves like Scorpion's spear of Sub-Zero's 242).

There are some moves though, that have penalties on a single hit that are the result of combining multiple of the "regular penalties". Many of these moves adquired these penalties after patches so I'm not sure if they were intended to work that way or someone screwed up the numbers and just added a new penalty on top of the old one (for example, a move having a penalty of 0.95x0.85 that is almost the same of the 0.8 penalty that is commonly seen).

All of Kenshi's DB1 have multiple penalties on the same hit:

Balanced:

The regular Rising Karma has a penalty of 0.9x0.9 (total of 0.81 instead of your typical 0.8).

Kenjutsu:

Rising Sword has a penalty of 0.8x0.85 (total of 0.68, almost as heavy as the hard cap) which is insane considering the juggle is really hard to connect and this makes the damage really low.

The Ex version has the same penalty on the first hit, combined with other 2 hits of 0.95 and 0.8 each, this leads to a total penalty of 0.5168 which means you're getting almost half of the damage of whatever comes after the launcher (and that's why EX DB1 doesn't lead to anything worth telling).

Possesed:

EX DB1: Even if you can hardly connect after this one, and only on the EX version and either the corner or a ranged attack, it also has a double penalty of 0.85x0.9 for a total of 0.765.

All of these double penalties should be removed and replaced by your typical 0.8 to 0.9 launcher penalty so Kenshi's combos suck a bit less.

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Amen to all of this!!

Also, I would add the fact that jp1 in balanced sucks. Could we get advantage on block from it as (correct me if I'm wrong) any other jp1 in the game, please...? The advantage on hit it gives also sucks.

I think kp2 will bring some good stuff for Kenshi, but there are soooo many problems with him...I doubt they fix all of them. We will probably get some shaved frames here and there, a small surprise and that's it.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Good stuff man. This is just ridiculous that not only are half his moves unusable, his special launchers have some seriously fucked up scaling.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Funny thing actually if you do this in Possessed 44EX DB4 NJP JI1 43 BF3 it does 29% where if you do the combo without the 44 starter it does 30%. Man Kenshi fucking blows, not to mention the whiff issues Possessed seriously suffers from.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I know most changes for KP2 are probably decided by now, maybe not, but I wanted to post this before it comes.

I intend to make a detailed move info table for Kenshi, including a lot of info the game doesn't tell (for example damage scale for every move) like the one I did for Sub-Zero ( http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-exhaustive-move-data.58034/ ) but the thing is, when you analyze his moveset, you clearly see that it's not that he sucks, he sucks at his very core and improving 1 or 2 specials here and there won't help the character unless almost half of his moves change.

I know characters doesn't need a huge set of useful strings to be useful, Scorpion has very few strings and works well and most characters have 2 or 3 strings that doesn't have any use (for example Sub-Zero shouldn't use 114 and 112, there is no point on it). But when a character shouldn't use more than half of his moves, you know that something is wrong and in the case of Kenshi there are a lot of moves that are there... just to fill his moveset, because some are so bad that it doesn't make any sense from a game balance perspective.

Maybe not all these changes should occur, but at least half of them must change if Kenshi wants to play with the big boys (and some specific moves need a fix no mater which others are buffed or not).

So here it comes, Kenshi full string analysis (I will refer to most strings using the longest version of it to avoid listing "1", "11", "111" separately):

Universal Kenshi strings:

111:

This soon on his moveset comes the first complete no sense, no logic, crappy move on Kenshi's arsenal: The last hit of 111 has a penalty of 0.85 (meaning that all damage after it is multiplied by 0.85, most hits apply a penalty of 0.95 and 0.85 is a number that you see on launchers and stuns).

So you would think that 111 launches... but nope, it doesn't... so it should punch for a lot of damage then? Nope, just 3 damage (which means that combos from 11 deal more damage than 111 because of the damage penalty, which doesn't make sense as 111 is the natural continuation of 11), so then... it should be like plus on block or something and is your safe option? Nope, it jumps from safe on 11 to a freaking -19 on 111 and of course it has gaps on its cancels. And the first hit on the string has 9 frames start up, so it's not like a super punishing string or something.

So here you go, first step into improving Kenshi is making that 0.85 a 0.95 like every single regular hit in the game, and also trim that -19 penalty down to at least half of it, one thing is to be unsafe and a different one is to write a suicide letter while attacking.

114:

114 is a launcher move... the problem is that you can only follow a combo in the corner (midscreen you hit with one of your long range moves and that's it) and on top of that, your meterless rising karma has better damage, better damage scale, combos midscreen and is safer (while also building some extra meter) so... why would you use 114?

Granted that Possesed lacking a launcher would benefit from it, but this is a universal string. I think if at least it was safe on block (-6 for a lost turn, nothing plus or close to 0) and retained the same properties it would have at least some use (you get to choose between the better but unsafe launcher, or the safe one with worse results and it still can only full combo in the corner).

B1:

GOOD MOVE!

Although B1 is a bit slow, it has good reach and damage and would be fine without changes (at this point Kenshi takes anything that doesn't suck with cheers and tears of joy).

D1:

GOOD MOVE!

8 frames poke, you get to use it specially to juggle in the corner. 8 frames is also as fast as Kenshi goes currently (which is a general problem).

2:

I want to talk about "2" before talking about its children because at 11 frames (and being a high) it makes everything following it not so useful.

Kenshi is in desperate need of a combo starter with some speed, and considering that strings from "2" won't lead into high damage, I think it wouldn't hurt if this one had a speed of 8 frames (Kenshi can't combo from moves starting at 8f in his current state and doesn't have even pokes faster than that).

2112+4:

This is a launcher that like 114 only works in the corner, but it's even worse given how it's really hard to follow up even with a D1 in the corner and on top of that it's -21 on block.

Again, no reason to use it when you can cancel 211 into a different and more effective launcher, and even better, not even start your combo with the slow 11 frames "2" and use a different one ignoring this one even exists.

To be of some use not only should it be easy to connect a combo, the natural damage of 2112+4 final hit should be higher than Kenshi's launchers or there wouldn't be any reason to use it over the special move. Otherwise, remove it from the game and you won't notice the difference.

224:

22 has a couple of good properties (restand and side change) although as previously mentioned, "2" should be faster to make its children useful.

224 though doesn't make sense, it says you can cancel it on its frame info, but you can't and you can get better results with a push or juggle cancel on any variation. I won't mention the -19 on block as a negative because you can't execute it if 22 is blocked so it doesn't matter much.

Make 224 cancelable and then we will be using it, otherwise cancel after the hit confirmable 22 for better results and remove this one from the game.

B2:

At 21 frames you would expect something more useful than just being good on block. You can't cancel it and you can get similar safe results from different strings. Like 224, the frame info says you can cancel it but you can't, so if it's buffed into a real cancelable move like its frame data says, we can talk about uses. Otherwise, you have much better uses of 21 frames of your time.

F2:

16 frame start, less damage than the also long reaching B1 ( which is just 1 frame slower) and leaves gaps when special canceling. Ignore it unless it's buffed with KP2 into something useful.

D2:

GOOD MOVE!

8 frames uppercut. That's actually a good uppercut! Yay!!

3:

3 has a lot of potential, being a very very rare case of a standing hit that is a Mid instead of a High (almost all standing, no directional commands in the game are High), and at 11 frames it's actually good for a kick (another reason for "2" to look so bad because of its speed being the same as a High punch)... the problem? The problem is that all of its children suck A LOT and unless you're playing Kenjutsu which replaces all of them, there is no point on using anything starting with "3" on Balanced and Possesed.

321:

-19 on block, can't be canceled, the same effect can be achieved with a safer push cancel. Don't use it.

The animation looks like he hits low so I guess it could be changed from Mid to Low, but IDK, the whole "3--" family is screwed and need a complete rework.

322:

322 has children but I want to mention that it has a 0.9 damage scale instead of your typical 0.95 one as I mentioned when talking about 111. It also is a knock down so if you cancel into a launcher, gravity is harder and you can't juggle as much from this one. Yeepee!!! U.U

3223:

On top of 322 woes, this one is -22 on block and even if it were safe doesn't have much use (it's +36 kd on hit, so there is that, but... just ignore it).

3224:

This one at least is an OH (can't cancel into anything though) and still unsafe (-14). Could have potential with Possesed... but no, not really, screw this whole 322 string family. It shouldn't even exist.

B32:

GOOD MOVE!

Low starter, safe, cancelable (although being a launcher it makes combos limited in Kenjutsu). Take it and run!!

F32:

GOOD MOVE!!

2 in a row!!!! AMAZING!!! Good damage instead of the low and basically very similar to B32.

D3:

11 frames poke, you're not going to win many poke battles with this one but at least it has a bit of hit advantage and is safe... could be faster though.

421F2:

421 is good (GOOD MOVE!) even if 4 is slow and a High, but this last "F2" should be safe with pushback on block (the whole string is safe and hit confirmable) otherwise ignore it and either stop at 421 or cancel into your push cancels that on block push enough to avoid a grab unlike this one.

43:

GOOD MOVE!

Your main damage combo ender, you will only beat it with F32 into EX move for high damage or combo extension because F32 scales better, but the whole combo should end into 43SpecialCancel.

B4, F4 and D4:

To avoid making this too long, the same can be said of all of them:

They all have potential and can be used, but they all would benefit from a speed up (14, 18 and 13 frames each). Kenshi feels really slow and has almost no way to escape pressure without meter, overall his moves could use a bit of speed and it wouldn't hurt.

4D4 and 4412:

I mention these 2 together because I think they should be combined. The animation of 4D4 is the same than 44 after all, so it doesn't make sense that 4D4 is an OH and 44 isn't.

If 44 is changed into an overhead, Balanced and Possesed would get an OH to start combos (and still fair as it's very reactable because it's on the second hit of the string, not a real 50/50 but at least not autowin by blocking low).

4412 has gaps before "1" and also before "2" but that would be ok if 44 becomes an OH (we're talking about Kenshi, if we're offered "not crap" we take it and run).

Jumping Attacks:

Jumping attacks are more or less OK (NJK sucks and it's mostly there for Possesed teleport, but most characters have at least one of their jumping attacks sucking anyway), if anything I'd like to see JIP1 range extended a bit so you can insta JIP from starting range like Kung Jin, Kung Lao or Sub-Zero (who uses his bare hands instead of a sword, Kenshi should reach from that distance), but that's all.

Possesed Exclusive Strings:

Possesed loses 2112+4 (not a big deal unless 2112+4 is buffed into decency) and 211 becomes a knock back (so you can't link as much stuff as the other variations even if you can cancel into it) and replaces F4 with...

F4:

29 frames start up, -20 on block... it's a low and has good range, but call me again when it's +2 on block or I'm not using this non cancelable piece of (insert expletive of your choice).

Kenjutsu Exclusive Strings:

Kenjutsu replaces B2, F2 and the whole "3--" crappy family (while keeping the at least useful "3" part). It also changes the 111 string to use a sword.

111:

GOOD MOVE!

Long reach (not on the first hit though), decent damage and the most important part: Not a freaking 0.85 damage penalty like the universal version of 111.

F2:

GOOD MOVE!

Overhead combo starter, it's slow but many OH are slow, so take it and run, run as far as you can and don't look back.

B2:

This is the point where apparently someone decided to throw a bunch of OH just because. F2 is useful, but B2 is crap. 27 frames start, -18 on block, -3 ON HIT, can't cancel into special.

Fun fact: F2 apparently has better reach than B2 despite the animation looking like it should advance with B2.

There is nothing you can do with B2 that F2 can't do better (and if you want damage and KD, cancel F2 into DF1 and there you go).

The "stomp lows" property doesn't come into play when most lows hit before you're in that part of your slow animation.

For B2 to have a slight chance of seeing the light, it should have a longer range (make it an actual lunge instead of jumping in place, so you can attack from the same range than Possesed F4) and be safe or even positive on block (the animation looks like it hits like a truck) and not negative on hit. Otherwise don't even try, the move is atrocious on its current state and using it is either an open declaration of intentionally losing the game or showing your absolute superiority by using moves that make you lose to see if you can win even with that (B2 is the new teabagging).

311:

GOOD MOVE!

3 is a mid and the last hit is a Low, you can mixup with 31DF1 so opponents have to guess between the Low and the OH.

322:

Not so useful, it's not that it's a bad move, but it's a worse version of 311.

Many players think 322 should be OH like 311 is a low, but I don't think that's the solution because 311 can be mixed into OH with DF1 anyway while 322 can't be canceled into a Low (so no mind games).

What I would do with this move to make it useful is make the second hit "32" be super plus on hit (+20-25), like Cryomancer's F12, allowing a free 50/50 if you stop there, and make 322 safe on block.

This way you press 32, if you hit you go for the 50/50, if it's blocked, you press the last "2" for the safe "322". This change would spice Kenjutsu's game without being game breaking (it's not even a dirty trick, Cryo is Mid tier and can do the same).

Kenshi's Launcher and Messed Up Double Damage Penalty:

I just wanted to go in depth on Kenshi's normals, but there is something else that I want to add that is common to all Kenshi's variations: Damage Penalty on his launchers is messed up and applies multiple damage penalties on a single hit:

There was a patch where it was mentioned that some Kenshi's moves weren't scaling as intended, and from that patch ALL VERSIONS of Kenshi DB1 have 2 damage penalties instead of 1.

Damage penalties in general come in jumps of 0.05 (0.95, 0.9, 0.85, 0.8... etc...) with the exception of the "hard cap penalty" that is 0.66 (uppercuts have it and some moves like Scorpion's spear of Sub-Zero's 242).

There are some moves though, that have penalties on a single hit that are the result of combining multiple of the "regular penalties". Many of these moves adquired these penalties after patches so I'm not sure if they were intended to work that way or someone screwed up the numbers and just added a new penalty on top of the old one (for example, a move having a penalty of 0.95x0.85 that is almost the same of the 0.8 penalty that is commonly seen).

All of Kenshi's DB1 have multiple penalties on the same hit:

Balanced:

The regular Rising Karma has a penalty of 0.9x0.9 (total of 0.81 instead of your typical 0.8).

Kenjutsu:

Rising Sword has a penalty of 0.8x0.85 (total of 0.68, almost as heavy as the hard cap) which is insane considering the juggle is really hard to connect and this makes the damage really low.

The Ex version has the same penalty on the first hit, combined with other 2 hits of 0.95 and 0.8 each, this leads to a total penalty of 0.5168 which means you're getting almost half of the damage of whatever comes after the launcher (and that's why EX DB1 doesn't lead to anything worth telling).

Possesed:

EX DB1: Even if you can hardly connect after this one, and only on the EX version and either the corner or a ranged attack, it also has a double penalty of 0.85x0.9 for a total of 0.765.

All of these double penalties should be removed and replaced by your typical 0.8 to 0.9 launcher penalty so Kenshi's combos suck a bit less.
Thank you for this post
I'm sending you an e-hug

Lokheit

Noob
This is amazing. AMAZING. Thanks so much for doing it. I would just add that Possessed F4 is especially useless because that variation already gives you a quicker low with more range that's -6 (demon drop).

So, 211 is so bad and useless that when @Pig Of The Hut did it during a match at ESL finals I had to look it up, didn't even recognize it.
Yeah I was going to mention the other faster and safer low option on Possesed but forgot about it when typing the "insert expletive" line lol, I'm editing that part to mention it. Even if he didn't have that option F4 is crappy enough by itself.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
I remember when kenshi was revealed, i was happy as hell as he is my all time favorite 3-D era character gameplay and design wise next to fujin. I occasionally still use him but when im at a tournament, no way. This is awesome man thank you, i really hope kenshi gets some good changes, hes too cool to be this bad lol.

Infinite

Noob
Interesting read, I mostly agree. I really like the 322 string with possessed though, am I wrong?

I think in general though, Kenshi has unusual startup on his followup, so it makes wake up pressure awkward, among other things.

The well-reasoned OP took me back to 2012 when most of the cast of MK9 suffered from similar illogic. From what I can tell, Kenshi might be the only character in MKX who was egregiously overlooked by NRS' quality control. Frankly, until today I thought that NRS had, alas, moved beyond amateurish character design. Or rather, I'd assumed they'd come up with system to prevent or alleviate such issues. Apparently not.

Given the--relatively polished--state of MKX at this time, NRS has no excuse for the issues outlined in the OP. If Kenshi was my jam, I'd be more than just a little pissed.

That said, I'm not even remotely qualified to fix the problem. :coffee:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Quick look at the pause menu in balanced:
b1 is now 13 startup -1 on block
d1 is 7 frames
2 is 9 frames but -14
111 is -10 on block
22 has an enhanced version that gives a lot of advantage
New combos! f211 and f214 !! finally the advancing f2 has a purpose!
TF still -43 on whiff :/
Blade reflect 7 startup
111 seems to advance a lot.

hope you guys check this (specially @Pig Of The Hut :)) and find more things, I'm sure there are more!!

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Wait what? I'm on PC (will get XL for PS4) was he included on the online beta or something or you guys are just kidding? :confused:

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Wait what? I'm on PC (will get XL for PS4) was he included on the online beta or something or you guys are just kidding? :confused:
He's on the PS4 beta. Reo was just looking through Kenshi on his stream but he's moved on to others now. Ishmael nailed a lot of the stuff but the meter burn on 22 lets you continue your combo on them while they're still standing. They changed possessed's teleport too but I don't know exactly what they did.

Lokheit

Noob
He's on the PS4 beta. Reo was just looking through Kenshi on his stream but he's moved on to others now. Ishmael nailed a lot of the stuff but the meter burn on 22 lets you continue your combo on them while they're still standing. They changed possessed's teleport too but I don't know exactly what they did.

Lol, I made the thread right in time.

Damn it, I want to test it but PC players aren't allowed in this party!! >.<

If anyone can check stuff like the weird damage scales or describe the new stuff before I climb my room walls and scratch everything it would be great! :p

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
If this thread doesn't make NRS make the changes to Kenshi that he needs, then he's just fucked. I'm not even a Kenshi player (hell, my least-favorite matchup in MK9 was when I had to face Kenshi with my Johnny Cage), and even I'm feeling sorry for Kenshi mains in this game and what they have to deal with.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
It looks like he's been buffed in the beta. He still has nothing plus, but he's not nearly as punishable as he was.

Lokheit

Noob
Quoting this from the Beta thread:

Kenshi balanced Frame Data EO Beta

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9718557AE092D87F!763&authkey=!AIOEDDq4x4hietU&ithint=video,mp4
For what I see:

- D1 7 frames from 8.
- 2 is now 9 frames from 11 (yay!).
- B2 still says you can cancel it, I don't know if this is still false information like pre patch.
- F4 16 frames from 18.
- 111 -10 on block from -19
- 212 -1 from -4
- 22 can be EX into advantage.
- 224 now says NA on block advantage (as I mentioned it won't even happen if 22 is blocked so that makes sense) AND still says you can cancel it. The important part here is that the frame data was updated to put that NA there and they didn't remove the cancel advantage, so maybe (if someone can test) you can now combo from that one.
- New string from F2: F21 is -1 on block, F211 can be canceled but is -10 so I guess you go for F21 and on hit keep it going. Kenjutsu doesn't get this one because he has his own F2. There is also F214 that has 55 advantage and can't be canceled (that kind of advantage is normally related to launchers so we could have one here... even if F211Rising Karma should launch anyway).
- 321 is now -13 from -19
- 322 is now -9 from -11 (3223 is still -22 though)
- 3224 is now -12 from -14

Some of the moves that were made safer are still unsafe, but I'd take it for now. Still many things need to change but I'm liking some of this stuff.

Still need to check damage scales and if they improved some juggles gravity and advantage (specially 114, 2112+4 and Kenjutsu DB1).

I would've prefered that they made some of the current strings more useful instead of creating new ones but I will take it and run like a good Kenshi player.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Quick look at the pause menu in balanced:
b1 is now 13 startup -1 on block
d1 is 7 frames
2 is 9 frames but -14
111 is -10 on block
22 has an enhanced version that gives a lot of advantage
New combos! f211 and f214 !! finally the advancing f2 has a purpose!
TF still -43 on whiff :/
Blade reflect 7 startup
111 seems to advance a lot.

hope you guys check this (specially @Pig Of The Hut :)) and find more things, I'm sure there are more!!
The only worthwhile buffs are b1 and d1 being faster and the 7f reflect. TF still being -2 years means he'll never be a threatening zoner.
Is the OH slash still -1 on hit?