What's new

Why isn't music focused on anymore?

slamtown

Police Brutality
MKX music is not that bad there are some good ones like jensie chamber but yea it is quite boring. They achieve nothing because it feels like there is no genre to the music just some electronic noise and some guitars. UMK3 music actually fit the stages. the street being funky, graveyard having some hints of MJ. Its not missing talent or skill its missing character.

FunnyMan

Noob
When the fuck are they gonna get Adema to record Immortal 2? I want to see them green screen some nu metal band over a badly rendered ps2 stage in 2019.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Bro mk4 had some epic ass music. "Elder Gods theme" and "The prison" music
If you say so, but I literally cannot recall what they are. Like if I went on youtube I might go "ohh yeah" and then forget it again immediately.

Versus say, any character theme from sf2, sf alpha, sf4, various kofs, etc etc. Character(or team in kof) themes add so much more life.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
The most frustrating thing about this is that the MKX trailers got it fucking RIGHT.

Check these out and pay attention to the music:

Kitana and Kung Lao trailer

Shaolin trailer

Cage trailer

Briggs trailer.

That is some sick shit right there! Obviously SOMEONE at NRS understands what Mortal Kombat is supposed to sound like. But then in the story mode, for some bizarre reason instead of that, we get some generic ass Hollywood action movie music.

NRS would do really well to just hire Xtortion Audio to do the MK soundtracks for them. Xtortion are the guys who did every trailer song above, except the Kitana/Lao one. Never found out who did that one.
Two possibilities why they don't use Xtortion Audio:

1. It might not fit the feel of the scenes used in story mode. What they use here is more of a orchestral score to set the mood. Trailer music is usually some in your face sound that might be distracting.

2. They have their own sound team headed by Dan Forden and NRS likes to try to keep things in house to save money and foster loyalty. Licensing tracks can be tricky and cause legal issues.

Basically they want control over what the music sounds like and the freedom to change it if they don't like it. That's something you don't always get by using licensed tracks. Plus they have full ownership of the audio.

But I agree that the music has been mediocre at best for the last few games.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I played MK4, MK9, and MKX extensively, like 400+ hours each, and I don't remember a single piece of music from any of them.

I can say the same about Inj1 and 2 as well.

Meanwhile I played SFV for a few months and I will never forget Guile's epic theme music. And I never played KI but I remember listening to Wulf's theme a few times because it was so good.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Other than the iconic dance remix of "Mortal Kombat", frankly, not a single MK ditty comes to mind. As opposed to, say, SF, KI, many SNK games etc...

Methinks this is a sure fire indication that the BGM in MK games has, indeed, be neglected...

Why is it every time someone posts Mick Gordon's work it's ALWAYS just him thrashing guitars over some nostalgic OST?

except the Kitana/Lao one. Never found out who did that one.
Original version here:

Loved the music on that trailer since i first saw it. Only found the original about 1yr ago.

But while I agree they sound good... in the trailer... Listening to 3+mins of distorted guitars (or the MK movie theme, really? people think that works in the game WTF?!) isn't my idea of a perfect MK soundtrack either. And you'll also notice that in the trailers they attenuate the music when they're showing the gameplay or any dialog. Not much different from the games which is something that people complain about.

Go and listen to the remakes that Jango made of the MK1 music, there's a little guitar, some asian influence, a driving beat, but mostly they have a melody or hook you can hum to.

For a while now MK has gone for the ambient style of music, and generally there's less of a strong melody which makes them less memorable. There's definitely an art behind creating a track that sounds good and is memorable but doesn't overtake the main feature (the fight), but rather enhances it.

Like others have said, there are some good tracks in the past games, but they just needed to up the volume a touch (or you can do it yourself in options).

From what i've heard so far the new music does seem to bring back some character.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
With changing times, music changes. I heard one of the members of LInking Park saying that if they made music similar to what they did back in early 2000's it wouldn't do well but that's bullcrap a lot of people still listen to older music because it's infinitely better than what we have today.

I think the same thing is happening here, they don't think original MK music would be good, but that's all we want. Nostalgia is a good feeling, and people will spend a lot of money to get that feeling.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Character themes would be nice. It's a cool way to help add some more personality to the characters, and show off some musical diversity.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I really dont understand why didnt NRS try to contact Mick Gordon,he would be such a good fit for mk..

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I really liked the music from the first 3 games, it was tone setting and added to the stages. It has been forgettable since then for me personally.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I agree 100%. The pre-NRS MK music was so damn good, especially the original trilogy of games. MK9 had some good stuff too but after that its all been forgettable and even unnoticeable a lot of the time.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
they left background music in the background literally. street fighter have iconic background music and i like how they remade them with high quality sound how they were probably intended to sound but tech wasnt available back then. anywho i think mortal kombat 11 would change this just like they added more color! fingers crosed. oh and killer instinct had the best background music in my opinion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Okay so I 100% was concerned going into this games reveal about the music, it's something they've definitely been behind on the past few years. But the snippets I've heard from the stage music in MK11 has actually sounded good, particularly the Courtyard. Though I was sick of the main menu theme 10 seconds after I heard it the stage music is where the money is. The music they've had before was good but as stage music in a fighting game it has been so lackluster. That said, I'm optimistic about the music based off what I've heard.

SCMunnerlyn1

You should have respected my Authoritah!
The music on Tekken has been good. Doesnt have to be as upbeat as that stuff is,but certainly we could do better.