What's new

Why isn't music focused on anymore?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
The music in Mortal Kombat games has always been iconic. Now it's just sort of white noise. It's there, but it's extremely quiet and forgettable. I know NRS has a ton of incredible people working at their studio, so there must be a reason. Even MK9 had a few cool stage themes, but since Injustice, there's really been nothing memorable. Here's a few examples of the music of past games:

Anyone have any idea why it's been toned down so much? I do miss the hype themes that would play during character selection and stages and....well, every single part of the game. Even the terrible 3D games had amazing soundtracks.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The most frustrating thing about this is that the MKX trailers got it fucking RIGHT.

Check these out and pay attention to the music:

Kitana and Kung Lao trailer

Shaolin trailer

Cage trailer

Briggs trailer.

That is some sick shit right there! Obviously SOMEONE at NRS understands what Mortal Kombat is supposed to sound like. But then in the story mode, for some bizarre reason instead of that, we get some generic ass Hollywood action movie music.

NRS would do really well to just hire Xtortion Audio to do the MK soundtracks for them. Xtortion are the guys who did every trailer song above, except the Kitana/Lao one. Never found out who did that one.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I never considered MK's music something I'd listen to personally.
Most games I turn off music to begin with unless it's really well done.

idk. It's a bit like complaining that the story is not engaging enough XD

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I really wish NRS would have hired Mick Gordon to do the music for the game, instead of ruining Sonya even further by hiring Ronda Rousey to voice her. Mick Gordon would have probably created a sick ass soundtrack for a fraction of the money they gave Rousey.

I've always had major beef with the music in MK games. All of them. The ones in the OP are lackluster as well in my opinion. The music is good on its own, but in combination with a fighting game? Eh, not so much IMO. The music is too slow and not loud enough. I wish NRS would come up with loud metal, rock and techno for their MK games. Basically what we had in the old MK movies. It was awesome. They can keep the orchestral stuff for Injustice, but even there the music should be faster and louder.

Imagine MK with Tekken level music. Or Guilty Gear. Or Killer Instinct. Or UMVC3.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The music in Mortal Kombat games has always been iconic. Now it's just sort of white noise. It's there, but it's extremely quiet and forgettable. I know NRS has a ton of incredible people working at their studio, so there must be a reason. Even MK9 had a few cool stage themes, but since Injustice, there's really been nothing memorable. Here's a few examples of the music of past games:

Anyone have any idea why it's been toned down so much? I do miss the hype themes that would play during character selection and stages and....well, every single part of the game. Even the terrible 3D games had amazing soundtracks.
You will Enjoy MK11 music.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Dan Forden is composing metal for some stages in MK11, i personally think the Black Dragon Club song its amazing.

Though no one finds MK music interesting these days, in every new Era MK there is at least one stage with a music which i think its good, in MKX it was the Kove, here in think Black Dragon Club started on a good foot.

They also hired a new composer to create new pieces and according to Dan which works mostly with sound effects these days, he is doing a good Job.

King Cash

Next Level
Personally, I hate music in games. I mute all game and menu music as soon as I start any game. So I really wouldn’t even know how “good” any in game music has been then last several years. I’ve never heard any. It’s always a distraction from what’s going on in the game for me.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
From the little things I could hear NRS seems tobe doing better in MK11, although I am mad The Courtyard is getting a new theme instead of it's classic one.

Dan Forden is composing metal for some stages in MK11, i personally think the Black Dragon Club song its amazing.

Though no one finds MK music interesting these days, in every new Era MK there is at least one stage with a music which i think its good, in MKX it was the Kove, here in think Black Dragon Club started on a good foot.

They also hired a new composer to create new pieces and according to Dan which works mostly with sound effects these days, he is doing a good Job.
Armory and the Beach level were great for MK9. The rest was forgettable.

I'm guessing the sound department at NRS subscribes to the awful modern trend that music should be a minor layer of the presentation so as not to be distracting. See also: Resident Evil 2 Remake.
And even then RE 2 Remake gives us the original soundtrack as a DLC but it doesn't fit. The games are two different tones.

I agree. Music is the second most important thing in video games(gameplay being first) so it’s unfortunate NetherRealm doesn’t really put a lot of work into it.

Other than the iconic dance remix of "Mortal Kombat", frankly, not a single MK ditty comes to mind. As opposed to, say, SF, KI, many SNK games etc...

Methinks this is a sure fire indication that the BGM in MK games has, indeed, be neglected...

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Yea @Eddy Wang summed it up pretty well and Sorry to get super theater nerd here but i think i can answer the music issue question...

Dan Forden the composer who did all of the older mk track changed positions in the studio...i believe it was around the time of Mk9 but there was a behind the scenes video for injustice one that showed him in the Lead audio supervisor positions from lead composer at NRS...dude does a few tracks here and there for NRS games but instead of laying down sweet tracks he's actually overseeing the audio portions now...which is a huge bummer as i was a big fan of his tracks..

Heck even in MKX hes credited as audio director:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1527016/

It was after mk9 and into injustice 1 and that video where i noticed the shift in music..so id say that might have something to do with it..other artist wanting to go in a different direction for the music..

But the demo track for the sand/military base feels a bit like older MK in the gameplay demo..i dig it (3:31):

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Yea, in the past two mks and injustices the music has been so "typical action movie orchestra with a touch of metal".

It does fit the mood, but so much so that it's forgettable and you don't even notice it.

I LOVE some of the themes made for Mk9 before the game came out, but they weren't even in the game!

Likewise, the MK11 pre-release soundtrack fits phenomenally and is catchy af!

I just wish NRS would take a chance and put something more dance'y but still dark for stages.

Injustice 2 Villains Trailer song (the drop at 1:48 and 2:13 still gets me hype like crazy)

Last edited:

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I really wish NRS would have hired Mick Gordon to do the music for the game, instead of ruining Sonya even further by hiring Ronda Rousey to voice her. Mick Gordon would have probably created a sick ass soundtrack for a fraction of the money they gave Rousey.
Mick Gordon is godlike. I love the Doom 2016 soundtrack so much. If Doom Guy is dlc he needs a stage with a Mick Gordon track.