What's new

Question - War God Why is War God so good?

byAidan

I'm just looking to level up, ya feel?
Okay, so I've been playing a lot against my friend with an amazing Kotal Kahn. No matter what I do against him, I still fell that I am losing, regardless of character or variation. If I try to zone, he can just sit in the sun ray and throw out the unblockable sword. If I try to get in, it always feels like it's Kotal's turn. Mixup string into mixup specials and insane damage? It's a little too much in my opinion. How do you feel about War God?

Tweedy

Noob
You can armor through most of his stuff. Go into practice mode, put the computer on reversal with an armored move, and do the strings that he was doing to you. B122 overhead is a true string, but you can punish that with F3 I think.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
You can armor through most of his stuff. Go into practice mode, put the computer on reversal with an armored move, and do the strings that he was doing to you. B122 overhead is a true string, but you can punish that with F3 I think.
Its a one frame punish with Johnny, not easy to do especially when you're not expecting the overhead all the time.

Try low prfiling his b1 with d4 . Works for me with Jacqui ..

And punish him when he throw out that sun. Don't let it be free. The recovery is tremendous

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
The problem is not KK,is the game.His strings can be cancelled with overhead and low.It is the only KK's variation that depends on 50/50.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
For the record Kotal does very well in the cage matchup. It's most likely even but I wouldn't be surprised if he won by the end of the game if the balance is the same. If you want to make Kotal cry play Tanya, Quan, or Lao (to name a few).

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Both of Kotal Kahn's mix-up options can be punished on block, although it can feel difficult to do because of the pushback and blockstun so your reversal must be timed properly. Since you play Johnny, I would assume his F3 mitigates that.

It should be noted that Kotal's overhead always hits faster than his low.

A little tidbit about the EX overhead: it has two hits, the first being overhead and the second being mid. Like with the normal version, the blockstun feels weird, but I find that crouch-blocking the second hit makes it easier for me to recover and punish the attack. It isn't safe in spite of what the game's frame data tells you.

He also has a third sword attack that is slower on start-up, but hits mid and is safe. That can be armored on reaction if you note the start-up animation where he reaches for his sword. You can also backdash.

The majority of his offensive options comes from his B1 2 2 string, the first hit being a mid at 9 frames. You may be able to low-profile it with Johnny's D4 - I can do likewise with Scorpion's though his is 8 frames so I imagine he has it easier. If not, memorize the space his B1 occupies and anticipate it with a jab punish. I think Johnny's jabs have fast recovery?

By "unblockable" sword, I imagine you mean the attack where Kotal pounds the ground with his weapon. If so, you can easily jump it, and if he does it at point-blank and you avoid it, you can punish.

When he summons the Sun Ray, I wait for it to go away before moving back in, unless the Kotal is too impatient to hold their ground. I know it's aggravating to see his health go up (as a Jago player, I inflict this pain upon a lot of players in KI), but it's better than you taking damage. If you're within range to punish when he reaches for the sky, LET HIM HAVE IT. It has a looooong start-up.

Only challenge his crouch normals after blocking them, NOT to anticipate. If I'm correct, all his pokes are 6 frames and are safe. Let's not forget his seven-frame uppercut and his anti-air grab which means no crossing him up or jumping in unless it's on a knockdown where he doesn't quick rise.

I'm still getting the hang of the match-up, but after playing a good amount of games with Kush and @Eldriken I feel I have a reasonable amount of knowledge for it. If you don't manage to block all his mix-ups, that's okay: most of the time he's only getting his damage if he has meter to hit you with an EX overhead, otherwise a guess will just be a knockdown with no combo.

Wigy

There it is...
This is probably even but kotals game is very easy whereas jc has it hard in terms of execution and reads in this mu.

They really do need to sort out the blockstun on his swords though. A punish should be a punish

People who say jc can zone in this MU. If the kotal player knows what they are doing they will d4 every forceball. Up close he gets outpoked, kotals f1 and b1 give jc problems in the footsie game, kotals airgame is way better and jc has no answer to his j1 except ex np. JC's saving grace in this matchup is one you knock down kotal he cant get up.

Its 4.5-5.5 kotal maybe 5-5 but kotal gets it waay wayy easier in terms of how the MU is played.

But the issues you're having you shouldnt be having

Last edited:

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
This is why the communities opinion on buffs and nerfs need to be dismissed. Lol, we even have this dude saying Kotal Kahn seems like its "too much". Every character has some shit. The more you play the matchup and learn things about the character, the easier it will get to cope with things. He has no infinites, so figure it out man.

You need to read through threads to learn, not make a thread to imply he is OP. This is why you fail.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
...playing a lot against my friend with an amazing Kotal Kahn. No matter what I do against him, I still fell that I am losing, regardless of character or variation. If I try to zone, he can just sit in the sun ray and throw out the unblockable sword. If I try to get in, it always feels like it's Kotal's turn. Mixup string into mixup specials and insane damage? It's a little too much in my opinion. How do you feel about War God?
I think this...

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
This is probably even but kotals game is very easy whereas jc has it hard in terms of execution and reads in this mu.

They really do need to sort out the blockstun on his swords though. A punish should be a punish

People who say jc can zone in this MU. If the kotal player knows what they are doing they will d4 every forceball. Up close he gets outpoked, kotals f1 and b1 give jc problems in the footsie game, kotals airgame is way better and jc has no answer to his j1 except ex np. JC's saving grace in this matchup is one you knock down kotal he cant get up.

Its 4.5-5.5 kotal maybe 5-5 but kotal gets it waay wayy easier in terms of how the MU is played.

But the issues you're having you shouldnt be having
D4 and ex flip kick. Kotal's air game is easily low profiled and people don't realize it so they think its broke. Also Blake no one is reacting to mid sword and backdashing/armor on reaction.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
D4 and ex flip kick. Kotal's air game is easily low profiled and people don't realize it so they think its broke. Also Blake no one is reacting to mid sword and backdashing/armor on reaction.
Isnt that their bad, I mean it's 26 frames right?