What's new

Why is the Nrs community so salty and toxic?

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
As a Jade player i get a constant barrage of hate messages lol....People have called me the worst player they have ever played about 50 times by now. The other great one is " not one single combo".....im sorry but Jade doesn't have 15 hit combos.....just isn't possible.
Jade does have combos. Try something different than mashing D2 after f21 or krushing blow launchers.

Hot_DNA

Noob
Coming from the Marvel community its NO WHERE near as bad as MK..You get ya fair share of toxic play in Marvel but its NOTHING like MK

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Another fun way to deal with them is if you have a mic, get youtube fired up, find 10 hours worth of Rick Astley and let them groove on that.

asddgd

Noob
Most toxic people i run into are “pros” that dont win tourny. Always gotta pepper in how they “got to where they are today” with their opinions. Like youre not even top 8 bro, stfu

Wigy

There it is...
It may be bad for fighting games but you guys should see some other shit. You’re lucky if WW2 doesnt break out in your team on overwatch and they’re your teammates and you need them to win.

fact is you can literally just go in a party and set your game to not recieve messages from people no in your friends list if you’re that horrified by a stranger insulting you over a game.

Jbog

Noob
People who get their feelings hurt from random strangers over a video game are seriously lovers. Qho cares

Everyone saying welcome to the FGC and this isn’t particular to NRS must not play many fighting games. Sure most games have toxicity but none on the level of NRS games. I’ve played sfv, granblue, and NRS games at a high level, and have learned/tried multiple others. Meaning I was close to or somewhere near the highest rank attainable for the former 3. NRS game are the most toxic no debate, so toxic in fact I had to change my message settings to friends only because win or lose I got hate mail and it got old. I have never been teabagged more than in NRS games and never been trolled more than NRS games. I get y’all love the games but cmon now haha. I also agree with others that the way the game is made just lends itself to this though. Someone pissed you off? Kill them, stall the finish him screen, teabag during the finish him screen, etc. You have so many options and that’s just when you beat someone.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
People who get their feelings hurt from random strangers over a video game are seriously lovers. Qho cares
I know I'm being contrarian here, but for real, how is this kind of thing any better than the hate mail itself?

Yeah, we all know--if you play FGs online (or any games online, really), you should expect some trash talking. Comes with the territory; it is what it is. But does anyone think it's a coincidence that some of the most common trash talk you hear are racial and homophobic slurs? Or female gamers being threatened with sexual assault? Just the vilest of vile shit?

Of course it's not a coincidence. These bottom-dwellers use the most offensive language their tiny reptilian brains can conjure because offending you is the whole damn point. And it's completely normal and healthy to be offended by that language. So why come around trying to shame people for having a normal reaction with this whole, "Only sissies get offended" thing? Uhh no... actually if you're someone who's not offended by that kind of language, that's when it's time for a head check.

Yeah, as FG players, you know it's coming... you need to find your own way of dealing with it so it doesn't ruin the game for you. Mute the in-game chat before you go online. Troll them back with memes to remind them that they're scum. Whatever. But hell no, no one should feel ashamed for being offended.

Art Lean

Noob
You know for the longest time I didn’t even realise the repeated crouching when they won was teabagging.

I honestly thought they were failing to perform a mercy (or fatality if it was Kabal or a couple of others who share the down, down, down inputs) and I used to laugh to myself that they they didn’t know a really basic end of match finisher :rolleyes:

I don’t play online games often if you couldn’t tell already :confused:

You know for the longest time I didn’t even realise the repeated crouching when they won was teabagging.

I honestly thought they were failing to perform a mercy (or fatality if it was Kabal or a couple of others who share the down, down, down inputs) and I used to laugh to myself that they they didn’t know a really basic end of match finisher :rolleyes:

I don’t play online games often if you couldn’t tell already :confused:
sometimes it is a failed mercy, you can generally tell if they stop or not after like 4 crouches but yeah its hard to tell.

These bottom-dwellers use the most offensive language their tiny reptilian brains can conjure because offending you is the whole damn point. And it's completely normal and healthy to be offended by that language.
Absolutely. The best way to deal with these kinds of people though is simply to use the tools that are available in the system itself.

Block, report, mute, set to Friend-only-messages, etc.

Hopefully with enough reports these negative players will be banned, at least for a while.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I think the question should be answered with some actual nuance. Mortal Kombat's gimmick is humiliation, brutalizing your opponent. Hell....mercy is tied to tea bagging to set it up. Fatalities are grotesque and sometimes even trolly so it's no wonder MK might be more toxic than games that don't have a "finish him/her" screen.

Although MK is far from the only trolly game or one with hatemail. That's just my theory, the designers want you to be annoying and trollish at least to a degree, which is kind of what I see from Soul Calibur with the taunts and other goofy things just to a different degree.

The only way this might calm down and I still for the life of me don't understand why fatalities and etc are allowed in ranked mode. That stuff should be disabled so you can move on to the next match. Encourage people to play well and move on.

Also maybe people do need to get thicker skins, but I think that's also the problem is that so many are okay with things that are mean and wrong happening to others. I mean, I've shared many hatemail posts I've received over the years and I think they're funny as hell, but just because I do doesn't mean others should or are babies, losers or whatever five year old insult some people wanna throw around.

It may be bad for fighting games but you guys should see some other shit. You’re lucky if WW2 doesnt break out in your team on overwatch and they’re your teammates and you need them to win.

fact is you can literally just go in a party and set your game to not recieve messages from people no in your friends list if you’re that horrified by a stranger insulting you over a game.
I'm glad I never played this stuff. We got toxic people on The Last of Us Multiplayer, but they kept the crazy slurs and other shenanigans to themselves usually. I'm actually super curious about seeing this go down now though lol.

I think you're right to the point of there are very fixable solutions that I definitely recommend people employ. I usually get a good giggle out of hatemail, but for the people who hate it, I'd definitely block messages and go in a party, keep it smooth and clean.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I know I'm being contrarian here, but for real, how is this kind of thing any better than the hate mail itself?

Yeah, we all know--if you play FGs online (or any games online, really), you should expect some trash talking. Comes with the territory; it is what it is. But does anyone think it's a coincidence that some of the most common trash talk you hear are racial and homophobic slurs? Or female gamers being threatened with sexual assault? Just the vilest of vile shit?

Of course it's not a coincidence. These bottom-dwellers use the most offensive language their tiny reptilian brains can conjure because offending you is the whole damn point. And it's completely normal and healthy to be offended by that language. So why come around trying to shame people for having a normal reaction with this whole, "Only sissies get offended" thing? Uhh no... actually if you're someone who's not offended by that kind of language, that's when it's time for a head check.

Yeah, as FG players, you know it's coming... you need to find your own way of dealing with it so it doesn't ruin the game for you. Mute the in-game chat before you go online. Troll them back with memes to remind them that they're scum. Whatever. But hell no, no one should feel ashamed for being offended.
I'm gay and personally don't get offended at all if a stranger says homophobic things to me, especially if it's anger over a silly video game. They're strangers I'm playing a game with, I simply don't care what they think about anything. But I suppose I can see how people would get offended by those things, especially concerningthe sexual assault stuff. But when its generic, nonracial, non sexuality, stuff, or a character just tea bagging, I think it's kind of pathetic to get "triggered" by that.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I can understand that it’s aggravating when someone is taunting their opponent at the end or even mid fight, but these people purposefully try to get on your nerves. I usually stay calm whenever that happens because they want you to get mad and send hatemail, scream, rant, etc. If you give them no reaction, or a positive reaction they often give up since they get no reaction.

Personally I don’t understand those people that play games a certain way just to piss off others. To me it’s just immature, pathetic and unnecessary, it’s like sometimes people get more fun out of annoying others, rather than getting fun out of the game itself.

I’m gay too, but I do get annoyed when people are being homophobic. Especially when it’s over a game. People that bring others down because they can’t control their emotions over a game, should seek therapy. I have a 0% tolerance policy for homophobia, racism, bullying, etc. I am sure to remove people from a party/session/ lobby if they’re being hateful towards a certain group of people. Hating on others over a game is stupid, hating on others because they’re shitty people is a more justifiable reason.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I'm gay and personally don't get offended at all if a stranger says homophobic things to me, especially if it's anger over a silly video game. They're strangers I'm playing a game with, I simply don't care what they think about anything. But I suppose I can see how people would get offended by those things, especially concerningthe sexual assault stuff. But when its generic, nonracial, non sexuality, stuff, or a character just tea bagging, I think it's kind of pathetic to get "triggered" by that.
There's a big difference between feeling offended and getting triggered though. Like, I feel offended if some asshole cuts me off while driving, but (other than swearing a bit under my breath) I deal with it and keep going. Getting triggered is if I pulled up alongside and screamed at the other driver or pulled in front of them and slammed on my brakes just to "get them back."

If the OP had come in here saying he was in total despair or raging anger because of online toxic behavior, to the point of wanting to quit the game or to start sending hate mail himself... well I still wouldn't call him "pathetic," but definitely would say he's letting the toxic behavior trigger him too much. And I'd offer some friendly advice about how to deal with it, which is what most other people here did.

But the OP didn't say he was triggered. Actually he didn't even say he was offended. All he did was just offer a (very true) observation that there are a lot of toxic assclowns online. So how does it make sense for some people to be telling him that he's the one with the problem, that there's something wrong with him if he's bothered by it...?

Sorry but no, GTFOH with that. Other people's shitty behavior does not somehow become my fault if I feel offended by it. There's no call for anyone to feel "wrong" for being offended; it's a totally normal way to react to others' shitty behavior. All that matters is whether you have a healthy way to deal with it, so it doesn't get you triggered.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
There's a big difference between feeling offended and getting triggered though. Like, I feel offended if some asshole cuts me off while driving, but (other than swearing a bit under my breath) I deal with it and keep going. Getting triggered is if I pulled up alongside and screamed at the other driver or pulled in front of them and slammed on my brakes just to "get them back."

If the OP had come in here saying he was in total despair or raging anger because of online toxic behavior, to the point of wanting to quit the game or to start sending hate mail himself... well I still wouldn't call him "pathetic," but definitely would say he's letting the toxic behavior trigger him too much. And I'd offer some friendly advice about how to deal with it, which is what most other people here did.

But the OP didn't say he was triggered. Actually he didn't even say he was offended. All he did was just offer a (very true) observation that there are a lot of toxic assclowns online. So how does it make sense for some people to be telling him that he's the one with the problem, that there's something wrong with him if he's bothered by it...?

Sorry but no, GTFOH with that. Other people's shitty behavior does not somehow become my fault if I feel offended by it. There's no call for anyone to feel "wrong" for being offended; it's a totally normal way to react to others' shitty behavior. All that matters is whether you have a healthy way to deal with it, so it doesn't get you triggered.
Maybe we have different ideas of what offence means cos the idea of finding being cut off in a car as offensive is very peculiar to me. That would cause annoyance not offence to me. But yes I do think it is ones own character flaw that needs to be worked on if a character on a screen couching, or a stranger on the internet messages you calling you a cheap spammer and shit at the game causes someone genuine offence. And I'm not referring to the OP or anyone in particular. But as I say I do understand how slurs on race, sexuality etc could cause someone offence, even it wouldn't personally cause me any. Although similarly I would say that person should really stop caring what internet strangers say and think. I'm not saying that person saying it is less of a dick head, but offence is taken not given, so work on not getting offended by these kind of things.

But in short, it's a video game, it's a stranger on the internet, it doesn't matter, get over it.

Last edited:
Granblue fantasy, SFV, Tekken 7......what do all these games have in common? They sold less than MK. Mk is the most popular fighting game franchise and attracts more gamers which means you get ALL types of gamers. ALL popular online games have toxicity. The more popular the more toxic. It's not specific to NRS. That's why people in the thread seem insensitive bc this has been around for years and it is strange to hear gamers complain about this honestly.

I've played many games over the years. And MK isn't even close to the amount of toxicity as other online games. If you guys have ever played a MOBA, COD or HALO (which is the game that birthed t bagging btw) it would EASILY replace MK as the most toxic. If Mario Kart 8 had in game voice chat it would beat MK by a landslide in toxicity.

Now just bc it exists in all games doesn't mean you should like it or it shouldn't bother you. Many ways you can deal with it. But as long as gaming becomes more social, you will continue to see more hatemail, t bagging, shouting, slurs, etc.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It's not just MK, it's pretty much all multiplayer games. Multiplayer games, for the most part, are all toxic.

I picked up Gigas this week in Tekken 7 and I'm having a blast. His new buffs are incredible. I'm up for a promotion against a scumbag Leroy. It's the final round and we both have about 10% life left. He does his bullshit cane move midscreen nowhere near me. I trigger my Rage Art which beats his cane and I've won the match. Wait....no I didn't because the fucking virgin on the other end plugged before my animation for the Rage Art finished.

Lots of people are garbage, it's certainly not just MK players. Every time I play someone and have good games, I always send them a compliment. I almost NEVER get a response. It's like people don't even know how to handle positivity. It's very sad. When you raise kids to never actually experience defeat because everyone gets a trophy anyway, this is what happens.

Stanlos

Noob
I maintain that MK11 is neither boring nor stale but a large portion of its players are repetitive and only use an extremely limited number of moves. So the players saying it is boring might be of the d1 mashing, projectile spamming--not to be confused with zoning--lot plaguing the online mode.

I can understand that it’s aggravating when someone is taunting their opponent at the end or even mid fight, but these people purposefully try to get on your nerves.
Excluding post-game trash talk and hate mail, some players (not just in fighting games) will taunt, insult, and belittle their opponent mid-game as part of their mind games.

They're trying to get under their opponent's skin and make them angry so they make more error's in play. It's a tactic that can work.

I actually encountered this many times in StarCraft II.

I always kept my cool, and tried to keep the person typing/wasting their time on such a strategy to further divert their attention from their macro management.