What's new

Question Why is Raiden Bad?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Watching this thread, and watching R.E.O's Tom's and Dave's final tier list i remember now that Raiden was given the top 10 place, yet, everyone was bitching about raiden be a top 10 character. LOL

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
in mk9 Raiden is just "okay" in a game where the upper tier is very hard to deal with... He has NO dirt at all and his hitbox is the size of Alaska.

also Shocker is a very average to below average AA, it gets stuffed a lot .. His vanilla teleport was fine but the online tears ruined that for him. He also lacks armor and his main strings are very very interruptible. So he's just a decent character in a game vs some seriously cheap chars.

Glass Sword

Nobody
I see a lot if ppl giving Shit to Rayden, but his move set seems to be entirely for turtle, why ppl says raiden Sucks?

I was giving a exploration on his tools, and he seemed fine to me.
Shocker can be used to AA, And the ex Version even as armor, to make sure it gives him a full combo.
His teleport works more like the Skarlet Downslash, you have to be pretty sure when to use it, and its only to escape attacks in the game. Even when you can't punish some of the fastest recoveries from the opponents, leaves you room to outspacing characters and whiff punish with B3 or anything else, they decide to come up in reaction, or even tele away again.

I understand his strings are interruptibles, which is the common main flaw against a very few characters only, however interrupting a well experienced Raiden its a total guess, since he can bait into other stuffs.

You can't even jump in on raiden unless you're Kabal or Kitana, his superman move can anti-air ppl on the jump in at any range of the screen lol.

Has a good and acceptable damage, and his dashes are close similar to Johnny Cage's.

I can see raiden getting real close to a top 10 character besides his hitbox, a well conserved raiden will hardly be touched.

Why is raiden considered so bad?
What you don't understand is he is not bad. There are a lot of good characters in MK9. Liu Kang is a good example of where Raiden sits. Regardless of his actual number the problem is... he is no longer broken. MK9 suffers from a type disease where if your character does not fundamentally blow up the lower half of the cast on the most auto pilot of levels they are not good ENOUGH. See Raiden players have to think on some levels when they fight lower level characters Sonya players for example don't.

tldr: He is not good because he is not incredibly broken.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
It stems from...

His main strings being interruptable. So if you aren't constantly mixing up your strings with teleports and ex teleports... when you get a blockstring, ppl will just blow you up.

Also has slow ass normals and a big hitbox.

EDIT: I don't think he's bad... you just really have to know how to mix up well with him. Teleport is still one of the best tools.

Last edited:

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
in mk9 Raiden is just "okay" in a game where the upper tier is very hard to deal with... He has NO dirt at all and his hitbox is the size of Alaska.

also Shocker is a very average to below average AA, it gets stuffed a lot .. His vanilla teleport was fine but the online tears ruined that for him. He also lacks armor and his main strings are very very interruptible. So he's just a decent character in a game vs some seriously cheap chars.
I agree with sine if the things you said however, shocker isn't made for aa. Standing 1 it's perfectly fine as an aa being 9 frames. Ex shocker and superman both have armor. He does have hitbox issues but he also has good walkspeed, backdash and his teleport. Great counter zoning, whiff punishing, and wall carry.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
What you don't understand is he is not bad. There are a lot of good characters in MK9. Liu Kang is a good example of where Raiden sits. Regardless of his actual number the problem is... he is no longer broken. MK9 suffers from a type disease where if your character does not fundamentally blow up the lower half of the cast on the most auto pilot of levels they are not good ENOUGH. See Raiden players have to think on some levels when they fight lower level characters Sonya players for example don't.

Dead on

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
LOL

Start up on SM was nerfed.

The drop after a air SM was nerfed.

His Frametraps were Nerfed.

His tele was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nerfed.

All his good or equal MU's were,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nerfed.

s1 was a good aa. But the aa's that were designed to be aa's were crap. His lighting hand thing is kinda like NW's scatter bombs, His uppercut was just as bad as NW's..

So uh, yea. @BWiZZ

Oh and, just because.. Baraka was also nerfed. ONLY THE LORD KNOWS WHY.... Yea, nerf baraka yet leave all the other stupidity in the game..

Stupid nrs..

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
LOL

Start up on SM was nerfed.

The drop after a air SM was nerfed.

His Frametraps were Nerfed.

His tele was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nerfed.

All his good or equal MU's were,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nerfed.

s1 was a good aa. But the aa's that were designed to be aa's were crap. His lighting hand thing is kinda like NW's scatter bombs, His uppercut was just as bad as NW's..

So uh, yea. @BWiZZ

Oh and, just because.. Baraka was also nerfed. ONLY THE LORD KNOWS WHY.... Yea, nerf baraka yet leave all the other stupidity in the game..

Stupid nrs..
High level of salt detected:DOGE

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Raiden is awesome, one thing a lot of Raiden players make a mistake of doing online I've noticed is teleport in the corner...big no, no lol he eats cross overs for lunch when they do that.
I absolutely hate it when they do catch you Raiden players think they are the "shit" because they can lock you down with the kick combo he does and due to Lag its pretty hard to get out of.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
There was absolutely nothing wrong with raiden imo.who really blew him up other than sonya and cage? he does fine against the top tiers aswell.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

I successfully forgot about X-2.5 until that sig.

Flagg

Noob
People think Raiden is bad because after 2 and a half years it was deemed by TYM that everything had been found in Mk 9, it wasn't worth playing anymore and was dropped like a bad habit for Injustice.

Truth is no one will ever know how good or bad Raiden is because the evolution of the game stagnated after 2.5 years.