What's new

Why is Quan Chi considered low tier? He seems compleatly untouchable.

babalook

Noob
well in my experience online everytime i end a combo with tele the opponent nomally just starts mashing and eats another combo

The only reason his mixups are hard to fuzzyguard online for some is matchup inexperience and lag. Blocking and escaping a bloodthirsty corpse camper with the severe lag ain't no joke. The majority of the time you get frustrated and keep mashing to see IF that wakeup attack will ever come out, but no, on goes quan chi raping your corpse. Stop for a second folks, hold down right quick and play dead. If you want to stop those corpse campers on their tracks, master Sub Zero. He can hide behind clones to make bloodthirsty campers think twice. Oh, and he's super lag friendly. Cheers.

If you want to be cheap like me, highlight Cyrax o nthe menu, press start and select "MK3" When the match begins bait them to get near you, then simply press the following. B+1,2,1 ~ Mid Bomb, slight dash, 2,2, watch corpse camper explode into air, NJP, B+2, Dash, 3,3,Net, 3,3, ragdoll. Rinse, Repeat. After the 3rd one if he hasn't Croaked by now, don;t worry, he will be quitting shortly and sending you rage mail. Presto, corpse camper begone.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
The only reason his mixups are hard to fuzzyguard online for some is matchup inexperience and lag. Blocking and escaping a bloodthirsty corpse camper with the severe lag ain't no joke. The majority of the time you get frustrated and keep mashing to see IF that wakeup attack will ever come out, but no, on goes quan chi raping your corpse. Stop for a second folks, hold down right quick and play dead. If you want to stop those corpse campers on their tracks, master Sub Zero. He can hide behind clones to make bloodthirsty campers think twice. Oh, and he's super lag friendly. Cheers.
What is a corpse camper?

A corpse camper, the brutal bloodthirsty killers always half an inch away from your corpse on the floor. They are the ones that want to eat your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. They know your wakeup inputs aren't going to work since the match is lagging really bad, so they ride you hard and keep mashing, using the lag to their advantage. They get inside your head and make you mash.

As you play more and more online you will begin to recognize corpse campers at the character select screen. They are so desperate to eat you alive that they have no patience even selecting their character. They immediately go to corpse camping lagtastic characters (Liu Kang?) Not even half a second goes by while you're still browsing to your character and they begin spam selecting, warning you to hurry the feck up. When the match begins, they usually start with a jump in punch and begin their corpse violation.

So, just played Liu Kang, I tried to jump away and kick aftar a string. The jump animation barely started and he went right on dialing and raping me. I think he got 2 near flawlesses and I was completely unable to do anything. What is a viable way, if any, to beat characters that can instantly chain strings together. This is getting really frustrating, if liu kang of quan chi touch me I should just go outside and play with my dogs for 2 minutes till its over.

I've recently started playing Quan online a LOT. For some simple reasons:
1.) He's FUN to me. He's probably the most fun I've had in this game.
2.) He's UNEXPECTED. It's as simple as that. No one online knows how to fight against him because no one plays him. So they lose.

He's really not a great character. Of course, there are no BAD characters in MK. There's just less good ones. Just practice against them and learn their moves. If you're having trouble against a Quan, I highly suggest you just jump around him. He has shit anti-airs.

Xstatic

Noob
Quan Chi has a lot of problems.

1. He doesn't have good pokes. f1 has decent range, but is slow. 2 has more range than it looks, but in general is mediocre at best. His crouching pokes suck. Sweep is fast, but the range isn't good.
2. Uppercut is great, but that's all he has for defense. It's his quickest punish tool, but it lacks range.
3. He can't punish things from a distance at all. Everything is just too slow.
4. His wake-up options are... none. Teleport gets hit by meaty attacks.
5. His fastest attacks are only 7 frames... no 6 frame attack. Crouching jab is slow as hell.
6. His mix-up potential is great, but you'll need to rely on cross-up punches to guarantee the situation. Doing b31+2, u3 or even f12 by themselves is asking to get hit with something. This makes his offense predictable. Try getting mix-ups on Kung Lao.
7. Skull is a good projectile and Trance can give some characters problems, but his zoning game still isn't that great.
8. A teleport from behind is easy to block because of how close he is to the opponent. Some characters can just crouch block, while other can just move back a bit and block.

IMO Quan Chi has two good things about him: Great pressure game if he can start it and decent zoning tools. If he can't establish either of those, he's done. He has so many weaknesses that other characters just don't. He's great against noobs, but once you use him against good players, the weaknesses start to become very apparent.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
So, just played Liu Kang, I tried to jump away and kick aftar a string. The jump animation barely started and he went right on dialing and raping me. I think he got 2 near flawlesses and I was completely unable to do anything. What is a viable way, if any, to beat characters that can instantly chain strings together. This is getting really frustrating, if liu kang of quan chi touch me I should just go outside and play with my dogs for 2 minutes till its over.
You need to release block sooner.

Well when I play liu kang vs quan chi I usually win, all you really gotta do is block low until you see his overhead string begin and then just block high. give him the uppercut whenever he tries to teleport behind you and give him a full combo whenever he hits you and rolls up into a ball. and once you scare him into not teleporting, you can run up and start spamming your 2 1 3 and B3 1 2 strings to combo him since his moves are slower than yours.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
He's really not a great character. Of course, there are no BAD characters in MK.
I'm sorry, but this line I keep hearing is such a joke. It implies that there's some form of objective rule of thumb in establishing what does and does not constitute a good character in a fighting game. There's not. It's all relative to the game in which they're found.

I know there are a lot of Quan-Chi die-hards out there, but he is a bad character... for so many reasons, all of which were outlined earlier in this thread.

babalook

Noob
id say the only thing he has going for him is great combo resets and the rune trap, but god dayum his d1 is terrible its slow and it has to have the worst reach in the game. I think his 11 is great too because its got some good ass recovery for tick grabs, cross up, and whatnot.

I'm sorry, but this line I keep hearing is such a joke. It implies that there's some form of objective rule of thumb in establishing what does and does not constitute a good character in a fighting game. There's not. It's all relative to the game in which they're found.

I know there are a lot of Quan-Chi die-hards out there, but he is a bad character... for so many reasons, all of which were outlined earlier in this thread.
The statement as I understand it compares the gap between characters. If you take one high tier and one low tier from MK, lets say Reptile and Quan and compare the gap between how good they are, it's a lot smaller than if you would take a high tier from say, SF or MVC and a low tier, let's say Yun and Hakan or Wolverine and Felicia or w/e.

When it boils down to it, it's just opinion. I really think there are no bad characters in this game and that's just my opinion and I hope people can respect that instead of trashing me for it.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I don't play quan that much and whilst he definately does have loads of glaring weakness he still has loads of strengths. Isn't he the only char in game with true 50/50's that lead into combo's? He also reminds me of a lesser version of cyrax where you can land 1 hit and then take off 70-80% of their health. Although cyrax can do it much easier and with 1 bar whilst quan requires 3. Still if your horribly down but have full meter and manage to land 1 jip into b21 etc.. ex skull rune trap that takes of most of their health. And with constant 50/50's then shouldn't he be mid tier at least?

Gotcha

Noob
I don't play quan that much and whilst he definately does have loads of glaring weakness he still has loads of strengths. Isn't he the only char in game with true 50/50's that lead into combo's? He also reminds me of a lesser version of cyrax where you can land 1 hit and then take off 70-80% of their health. Although cyrax can do it much easier and with 1 bar whilst quan requires 3. Still if your horribly down but have full meter and manage to land 1 jip into b21 etc.. ex skull rune trap that takes of most of their health. And with constant 50/50's then shouldn't he be mid tier at least?
thats how i feel
people say quanchi sucks, but i have a fast projectile, which gets my meter up fast, if i hit you once with anything, thats atleast 28+%
and with ex rune trap(does 16% perhit) all you have to do is make them block, and they have just taken 48%, not even including wether or not you go for the 50/50 at the end of it, so that would be another 28%, which adds up to about 76%, ALL because they decided to block....

babalook

Noob
yep quan isn't all that bad but the fact that he only has one overhead launcher that is not hit detectable and is very slow makes it to were he really doesn't have 50/50s, id say after sky drop and EXrune(if you can't follow up with another EXrune) you should try to grab. I think quan needs grabs to apply mixups, and he is at his best when you get your opponent in the corner because of 212EXrune x3 is 45% and the last hit is a EXrune so you could do another 212 for 5% chip and some meter build, grab, or go for some kind of mixup.

Malec

Noob
the real problem with quan is that he has no wakeup move besides the trash teleport and its freaking unsafe, has no armor nothing, its just the worst wakeup in the game. and yeah he has awesome 50/50 mixups but its hard to get in to bring them on your opponent.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
hes all about faking ppl out to get his mixups. F1,2 gets 90% of opponents because they react to the b3,1+2. do a jump in punch, instead of going right into the b3,1+2, dash, it'll give the illusion of the b3, and your opponent will block high, then start the string. Quan chi, from my experience, eats kung lao for breakfast. His uppercuts can counter his frame traps, and he can punish his teleport with a quick d1 into trance.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
he kinda fits in the same category as sindel and stryker, all 3 of them need a slight buff to be tournament worthy. as it stands they are the lowest of the mid tier.

QUAN CHI IS DEFINITELY NOT LOW-TIER. HE IS VERY POWERFUL IN THIS GAME. IN THE CORRECT HANDS HE'S DEADLY; HE JUST REQUIRES A MORE DIFFICULT LEARNING PROCESS TO MASTER HIM.