What's new

Why is Quan Chi considered low tier? He seems compleatly untouchable.

Skull, jump in, dialdialdialdialdialdial. I usually just put the controller down after a round or so. Even if you guess the mixup, you cant poke and he goes into the next one. Whats the deal.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Skull, jump in, dialdialdialdialdialdial. I usually just put the controller down after a round or so. Even if you guess the mixup, you cant poke and he goes into the next one. Whats the deal.
Interesting you say this....I'm starting to see ALOT more Quan Chi's online, I wonder why.....

Anywho, It's because once you figure out the matchup, you can spot his moves coming, moreso than not. Also, his wakeup attack is TERRIBLE. Threaten attack, watch Quan Chi Sky drop and block. Watch Quan Chi get punished with a full combo. Once he's trained not to wakeup on you, there are no options other than block.

But what can you do once he is in on you? If you block the mixup, he just starts another one faster than you can do anything.

Sentry_Gun

Target Acquired
I call Quan Chi the newb killer, If people don't know his moves then they will easily be beaten by him, but once people learn the match up it's very hard for Quan Chi to be effective because he revolves around the same easily spotted string

Yea I've learned them

Start blocking low, if he kicks first, stand up. Then what? Congrats you blocked it, here comes another one faster than your fastest poke and you cannot do anything but just block until your dead?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Yea I've learned them

Start blocking low, if he kicks first, stand up. Then what? Congrats you blocked it, here comes another one faster than your fastest poke and you cannot do anything but just block until your dead?
I hope you're joking. After the low high string you're pretty much open for an incredibly easy punish.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Yea I've learned them

That sounds like online lag issues. You CAN poke. Down3.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I've noticed a lot more Quans online too recently (I'd love to know why :p)

Everytime i face Quan, I'll block his low-starter. Then I'll block low again and his next string will be an overhead.
Then he'll do his neat little trance (with a hitbox equal to or greater than Ermacs TKP).

The only thing keeping me from hating his mixup strings is my admiration for them xD

REYTHEGREAT

I know what you mean, I fought a real good quan chi before and all he did was good mixups after skydrop and I didn't know how to punish. I was very impressed. So I though, wow quan is a beast. But I have heard he gets punished after skydrop. You just gotta punish as soon as he appear next to you. I don't face many quans, in fact, the last one I fought was about a month ago.

Yea yea online, he still seams to just go right into another string near instantly. I jam poke the instant his string ends, nope, he just rapes me with another one. Quan Chi online = one huge block infinite just leave the game?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Crunchy is annoying but predictable. Block high on any jump in, always block any string low first then move high. GZ! You've defeated his mix ups. Face it, it aint really a mix up if its the same each time, a true mix up would be Sektors either low or med launcher.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Yea yea online, he still seams to just go right into another string near instantly. I jam poke the instant his string ends, nope, he just rapes me with another one. Quan Chi online = one huge block infinite just leave the game?
I fought a very good Quan Chi who did these mixups off a sky drop and then went into ridiculous combos and resets. Yeah, it is very difficult to deal with online. My problem was not knowing the length of his strings. Once I adjusted, I just started jumping back and kicking after a blocked string.

I think it's probably a case of just learning when you can poke out/jump out. With Sub, I tend to lower my hitbox by sweeping or with d4 if he lands behind me with the sky drop. The sky drop is the only way Quan Chi can approach Sub-Zero, so what Sub-Zero can do, I later found out in this matchup, is ice clone and then crouch block on reaction to the sky drop. Tom Brady informed crouch blocking blocks the behind and the on top sky drop, leaving only the in front. If he goes in front, he eats my ice clone. Once he's in the corner, this setup completely kills Quan Chi.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I fought a very good Quan Chi who did these mixups off a sky drop and then went into ridiculous combos and resets. Yeah, it is very difficult to deal with online. My problem was not knowing the length of his strings. Once I adjusted, I just started jumping back and kicking after a blocked string.

I think it's probably a case of just learning when you can poke out/jump out. With Sub, I tend to lower my hitbox by sweeping or with d4 if he lands behind me with the sky drop. The sky drop is the only way Quan Chi can approach Sub-Zero, so what Sub-Zero can do, I later found out in this matchup, is ice clone and then crouch block on reaction to the sky drop. Tom Brady informed crouch blocking blocks the behind and the on top sky drop, leaving only the in front. If he goes in front, he eats my ice clone. Once he's in the corner, this setup completely kills Quan Chi.
Did not know. Thank you. Say goodbye Crunchy.

K, well I'll give it a shot, jump back you say? Does that work for other seemingly inescapable dialdialdialdialdial tactics? (Liu Kang).

BookBurning

Voidwards
Quan Chi is much more than a noob killer and personally after playing many Quans including Reo's (A bit) in the past, I feel like Quan has alot of potential. Don't narrow down things to "wake up attacks" and combo damage.

Quan Chi has one of the best projectiles in the game, it recovers quickly, is fast and does decent damage; and because of this he can build meter very quickly. His sky drop can be mixed up alot, you can go behind, on top or in front, allowing people to missguess and you to come in with an attack.

He has very good 50/50s both which lead into a trance combo; he also has one of the best uppercuts in the game and know what else?

His hitboxes are small, allowing alot of attacks to whiff while he uppercuts or crouches. I don't think Quan is a bad character at all and I believe in the hands of a good player he can actually be quite solid.

Don't pay attention to tier lists. In april Cyber Sub Zero was supposedly one of the worst characters in the game and Kung Lao was supposedly broken. It's funny how stuff works out huh?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
K, well I'll give it a shot, jump back you say? Does that work for other seemingly inescapable dialdialdialdialdial tactics? (Liu Kang).
Jump back and kick. I swear by it for escaping pressure online. Even if you get hit in the air, they don't usually get a juggle.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Quan Chi is op'd he gets dmg boost for fatalities! Not fair!

EDI:T: @Lyuben

You do realize if you condition yourself to block low for starters he can do u+3 which is an overhead.... and he has f+1, 2 which is a hi then lo...

Best way to beat Quan Chi is heavy pressure, and good oki (sp?)

Quan trades trance for ice blast in his favor. sub zero has to get in to win the matchup not quan chi.

spamming teleport with quan and relying on your opponents not knowing how to fuzzy guard his high/low mixups (if you block low then high youll just get hit with f1,2, trance which is a second hit low) isnt all he has. 2,1,en rune is the best trap in the entire game. ive always thought quan chi was awesome but i quit playing him after he got hit over and over with the nerf bat and just started picking him up again recently. hes obviously not a top 8 character in the game but their is no way he is the worst. hes a gimmick character only if thats how you choose to play him.

i think zoning with skulls/trading trance for projectile/building meter for the rune trap type of play with him makes him a force in a good players hands.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Quan trades trance for ice blast in his favor. sub zero has to get in to win the matchup not quan chi.

spamming teleport with quan and relying on your opponents not knowing how to fuzzy guard his high/low mixups (if you block low then high youll just get hit with f1,2, trance which is a second hit low) isnt all he has. 2,1,en rune is the best trap in the entire game. ive always thought quan chi was awesome but i quit playing him after he got hit over and over with the nerf bat and just started picking him up again recently. hes obviously not a top 8 character in the game but their is no way he is the worst. hes a gimmick character only if thats how you choose to play him.

i think zoning with skulls/trading trance for projectile/building meter for the rune trap type of play with him makes him a force in a good players hands.
I didn't say otherwise. Where did I say Quan Chi is gimmicky?

Sub-Zero can just cut off his escape pretty well once he gets him to the corner. Sub-Zero doesn't really have a hard time getting in, to be honest. A good Sub-Zero definitely has matchup advantage against a good Quan Chi.

I didn't say otherwise. Where did I say Quan Chi is gimmicky?

Sub-Zero can just cut off his escape pretty well once he gets him to the corner. Sub-Zero doesn't really have a hard time getting in, to be honest. A good Sub-Zero definitely has matchup advantage against a good Quan Chi.
i know. the whole post wasnt a response to you, just the part about sub zero having to get in in that matchup, not quan chi. from the very beginning alot of people have been calling quan chi "gimmicky" and i was just saying that he doesnt have to rely on those gimmicks to be a viable character at high level play.

Nameer

Noob
Uppercut works. He has one of hthe fastest
dude that's doesn't work unless my opponent is slow as hell to pressure Quan Chi

He has his Tele-Stomp which he can use to tele behind you or infront of you.
oh really?
do you realize that this Wake-Up attack is the worst wake-up attack ever
do you know that Quan Chi can't escape and it get hits even from high attacks when he used it

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
i know. the whole post wasnt a response to you, just the part about sub zero having to get in in that matchup, not quan chi. from the very beginning alot of people have been calling quan chi "gimmicky" and i was just saying that he doesnt have to rely on those gimmicks to be a viable character at high level play.
I don't underestimate Quan Chi. He has some ridiculous stuff once he gets in on you. There's no doubt about that.

Heck, I think Sub-Zero is being underestimated by many. So I understand the feeling. Quan Chi is not a bad character at all.