What's new

Why is Quan Chi considered low tier? He seems compleatly untouchable.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Shujinkydink and I have been working on some brand new Quan tactics. Really really interesting stuff guys. We'll be keeping it quiet for the time being until we try out a Quan in a tournament setting. But we've really had him in the lab for a while and our Quans have become nearly unrecognizable from before.

Albo

Noob
Shujinkydink and I have been working on some brand new Quan tactics. Really really interesting stuff guys. We'll be keeping it quiet for the time being until we try out a Quan in a tournament setting. But we've really had him in the lab for a while and our Quans have become nearly unrecognizable from before.
really looking forward to seeing what you guys have come up with and how you'll utilise quan in a tournament setting.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I don't want to mislead. Quan still has problems. We still don't have an answer for character's like Liu Kang when they're in our faces. Uppercut is about it. We definitely want the Rune and Skydrop to have armor on EX. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the Rune. And I'm desperate for the 2 at the end of the 112 string to be unduckable so it could be a safe poke string. But believe me, we're really digging deep here for new ideas. It really is a science. :) For example, we have a way to reduce Quan's highest damage 40% meterless combo into a 35%, guaranteeing another 5% in chip damage, to equal 40% but with meter building. This is intense stuff.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
We definitely want the Rune and Skydrop to have armor on EX. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the Rune.
You can't be serious. I mean, I respect alot of the work you seem to be doing with Quan, but giving an unblockable like that armor would be stupid. That's basically giving Quan a free win when the opponent is down on health.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
No. The rune is never used blindly, so armor wouldn't effect it's use at all. We're only talking wakeup options here. Quan has no tools at all to deal with character's like Cage and Liu Kang. A wakeup EX Rune would be an awesome way to back them off when they keep rushing after a combo. But fine, not everyone has to agree. Most people seem to want armor on at least ONE move so they can escape rushdown pressure at the cost of a meter. And remember using meter for anything other than offense is a huge deal for Quan. I think an armored EX Skydop would be useless, since the move is still way too slow to hit them. It would have to be used strictly as an escape move. Seems like the only useful move to give armor to in a wakeup situation would be the rune.

But again, I'll trade all the EX Armor ideas for simply an unduckable punch at the end of the 1 1 2 string.

Jet3000

Let’s go crazy!
I don't underestimate Quan Chi. He has some ridiculous stuff once he gets in on you. There's no doubt about that.

Heck, I think Sub-Zero is being underestimated by many. So I understand the feeling. Quan Chi is not a bad character at all.
Better Than stryker and sheeva because there just playing suck ass but he still a bad character

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
We're only talking wakeup options here.
Ohhh my mistake, I thought you were referring to a standing ex rune to have a hit of armor. I still don't agree with that though, as it would force the opponent to jump/tele/reptile dash/whatever on his wakeup. I can't see fairness in giving one char, whatever tier he's in, a wakeup without a block option for the opponent.

Especially if they gave him ex rune AND ex skydrop/trance wakeup armor options. You would have to jump to avoid the wakeup unblockable, but Quan could instead choose to AA him with a trance or use a skydrop. It would make it a lose-lose situation when one hit away from death.

As I see it, ex skydrop or ex trance for wakeup would improve him in a fair way.

I love Quan...he's so underrated in my opinion. I do agree with how someone put it- that Quan's full combo/playstyle can be exploited against folks that don't know of is mix-up game. I consider myself I knowledgeable Quan player- but when I player against skilled players nothing works! Between fuzzy guarding and my opponents defensive mind games (crouch block then stand-up) I usually get punished out of blocked trance. While under rush down I find it a mix bag. Quan has a sick uppercut and an even sicker sweep...these two together seem to be the best way to get folks off. Quan honestly needs to be in control though, his slow strings and bad defense practically demands it.

Can anyone give me advice? Should I shy away from meter assaults when I go against skilled players?

Jet3000

Let’s go crazy!
Everybody knows Quan chi is a bad Character but i don't Think he is the worst Charcter in the game because look at Stryker and Sheeva i have'nt seen one combo that stryker did and sheeva has a disadvantge against Scorpion so that means she sucks ass and i don't know about Stryker MU agaist Scorpion but Stryker might have Slight disadvantge Aganist Scorp.Sure Cyber Subzero is 9-1 but Quan chi is better than Stryker and Sheeva and Quan chi will do even better if Ed boon stop giving him bad pacthes.

Everybody knows Quan chi is a bad Character but i don't Think he is the worst Charcter in the game because look at Stryker and Sheeva i have'nt seen one combo that stryker did and sheeva has a disadvantge against Scorpion so that means she sucks ass and i don't know about Stryker MU agaist Scorpion but Stryker might have Slight disadvantge Aganist Scorp.Sure Cyber Subzero is 9-1 but Quan chi is better than Stryker and Sheeva and Quan chi will do even better if Ed boon stop giving him bad pacthes.
as much as I agree with sheeva being crappy, I have come across some really good sheevas within the last few days.... and I personally know someone who uses stryker pretty damn good. but against a top opponent, hes average. sheeva can be devastating with her low and high grabs.... and with a good mindgame she can very underestimating.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
But what can you do once he is in on you? If you block the mixup, he just starts another one faster than you can do anything.
well, for strters, you can wait til he is done his second mixup becuz his mixup speed is only so fast after the first one. you can basically jump after the second or third mixup, depending in wat order he goes in, unless he mixes an uppercut which is uncommon than you should be fine crossing him over