What's new

General/Other Why I Chose Smoke

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I only play smoke because of the resets, before this I didn't. STRYKIE

Smoke is top 5, FrothyOmen.

RiBBz22 picks Sonya and Cage against his fellow Smoke brethren's.

I may have too much time on my hands this morning.
Ya, not a huge fan of mirrors lol...

And dude, there are plenty of people that still think Cage loses to Smoke I am sure...and even some crazy people that might think Sonya loses the MU...so I am basically doing you a favor by playing as them!! xD #WeKnowTheTruth

I don't see much debate in Lao being higher than Smoke. To begin with 1) Lao is at advantage against Smoke, and 2) Lao does much better against the top tier opponents that Smoke struggles against. I could see more of a debate being with Cage and Skarlet and possibly Kitana...however that is pointless because I think Smoke is top 10... my point is that there is no way he is top 5 in this game.
Well the difference between smoke and lao on this is that if smoke gets you in a loop and you dont have meter you die, it doesnt matter what the matchup numbers say. Lao's bad matchups have no cheap answer like that. that's why i think it's debatable. also, i think anyone who says that cage, skarlet, and kitana is better than smoke is just a downplayer.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Well the difference between smoke and lao on this is that if smoke gets you in a loop and you dont have meter you die, it doesnt matter what the matchup numbers say. Lao's bad matchups have no cheap answer like that. that's why i think it's debatable. also, i think anyone who says that cage, skarlet, and kitana is better than smoke is just a downplayer.
Lao probably has some of the best tools to prevent him from getting stuck in a combo. He never has to respect smoke bomb due to his mobility: can dive kick it on reaction, and can punish on block. His air mobility, F3 roll, and teleport allow him to approach Smoke at anytime during the match without having to fear being hit by a smoke bomb while grounded.

Any neutral string will leave the Smoke player having to respect the spin which launches into a full combo, so it will probably lead to block string pressure. His 7 frame standing 2 leads to a block string that builds a ton of meter and can be cancelled into a teleport that is tougher for Smoke to deal with unless you read that it is coming. A few block strings + the damage received at the start of any reset combo will have KL right in the position to be able to break so it is honestly not much of a threat.

I hit the reset pretty consistently and I would probably say that Lao is the character than I have reset least in my time playing the game so far. Kabal close 2nd.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
The more I fought people online (and sometimes offline) with Smoke, the more I started to notice a change in my attitude about the game. The most obvious and most important example is that, even though I would lose quite a few matches, I would still consider those to be successes because of the character I was using. I started to hold myself to a different standard of success. I started feeling that just doing well in a match with Smoke (especially against characters like Kung Lao, Kabal, Freddy, etc) made me feel that I had won in a different way even though I didn't win the match.

I won my fair share of matches and I lost my fair share, but that didn't change the way I somewhat felt like a "winner" because of my "limitation." After exploring the TYM forums I noticed that I wasn't the only one. Like Wafflez put it:
Completely ignoring the tier talk here, and assuming that your character is low tier,
i give you this from the 8wayrun.com thread "Types of Scrubs"
(...)
4. The Tier Martyr: This is a not-so-rare breed of scrub whose character has legitimately become terrible in most matchups. Due to character loyalty, the scrub will refuse to switch to a better character. He will enter tournaments. He will smash his head over a wall repeatedly. He will lose. This disease enables a person to hide under a joke character instead of doing what it takes to win.
(...)
This is coming from a guy who sticked to Taki in SCIV so take it with a grain of salt :D

Completely ignoring the tier talk here, and assuming that your character is low tier,
i give you this from the 8wayrun.com thread "Types of Scrubs"

This is coming from a guy who sticked to Taki in SCIV so take it with a grain of salt :D
I'm not sticking with Smoke because I'm too comfortable with him or because I love him as a character. I'm sticking with him so it'll force me to learn more about the game rather than just taking the easy way out by choosing a character that's easier for me to play.
At this point, I decided to throw away my previous reasons for using Smoke and adopt new ones to justify still using him. I wanted to discipline myself. I figured that I shouldn't take the easy way out by choosing a higher tier character than him. I wanted to improve my overall game first, which was awful.
Please read my thread before you post in it.

I admit I'm a scrub, but I'm not as terrible as I was a few weeks ago. Hell, I'm not even as bad as I was yesterday. Thanks to the TYM community and several of my friends, I have all these resources to help me improve, and I take the opportunity I have of using them. I'm still not amazing which I admit and I still lose to very good players or players who just know more about my character/the game/all fighting games better than me. I'm also not salty about it at all; I love this game which is why I decided to get good at it. I have so much fun playing it whether I win or lose. All this dopamine gets rushed through my brain every time someone beats me in a new amazing way, I love it!

Get to know me before you judge me. I've made that easy for you and the entire community by posting this here:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/im-new-i-suck-and-thats-pretty-much-it.26581/
If you judge me, be respectful and nice about it. Even if it's a harsh critique or a harsh judgement, it's still possible to do so without acting like a know it all.

I'm not sticking with Smoke because I'm too comfortable with him or because I love him as a character. I'm sticking with him so it'll force me to learn more about the game rather than just taking the easy way out by choosing a character that's easier for me to play.

Please read my thread before you post in it.

I admit I'm a scrub, but I'm not as terrible as I was a few weeks ago. Hell, I'm not even as bad as I was yesterday. Thanks to the TYM community and several of my friends, I have all these resources to help me improve, and I take the opportunity I have of using them. I'm still not amazing which I admit and I still lose to very good players or players who just know more about my character/the game/all fighting games better than me. I'm also not salty about it at all; I love this game which is why I decided to get good at it. I have so much fun playing it whether I win or lose. All this dopamine gets rushed through my brain every time someone beats me in a new amazing way, I love it!

Get to know me before you judge me. I've made that easy for you and the entire community by posting this here:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/im-new-i-suck-and-thats-pretty-much-it.26581/
If you judge me, be respectful and nice about it. Even if it's a harsh critique or a harsh judgement, it's still possible to do so without acting like a know it all.
smoke will teach you a decent poke game and how to footsie really well and anti-air but as far as learning the whole game i dont see it because he shuts down zoning and his strategy is very similar vs 90% of the cast.... as far as zoning and getting around zoning that whole aspect you wont fully learn with smoke... that being said smoke for sure takes a player of good skill.

I didn't mean the entire game, I meant more like things I need to work on, which actually are footsies, anti-airing, and blocking properly. One of the main reasons I stuck with Smoke was because he was defensive and defense is my biggest weakness. I believe you that being great with smoke takes an awesome player; I know I'll never amount to much. Do you have any suggestions of which character to learn next to help me learn more aspects of the game?

Smoke goes 5 - 5 with kenshi? Really?
Doesn't trade smoke bomb well
Can't stay in once he gets in
Can return his zoneing
armor ain't fun
So what does smoke have on him?

SZSR

Noob
Is it that kenshi players use up so much meter with armour that they don't break resets?
It's that trades can turn into combos and that resets mitigate their own meter use. Sure Kenshi builds meter like a machine but when he has to choose to break as opposed to fighting other characters like Jade, it makes him have to think about the match.

It's that trades can turn into combos and that resets mitigate their own meter use. Sure Kenshi builds meter like a machine but when he has to choose to break as opposed to fighting other characters like Jade, it makes him have to think about the match.
But smoke doesn't trade with most of his stuff. I think the only trade he gets is overhead slash. The rest would be whiff punish

SZSR

Noob
But smoke doesn't trade with most of his stuff. I think the only trade he gets is overhead slash. The rest would be whiff punish
If you time it right, you can get a small reset from trading with Telefury too. Shoulder charge it depends on how it knocks you down.