What's new

I'm New, I Suck... and That's Pretty Much It.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tl;dr: I'm new, play with Smoke, my gamertag is OreosNbeer, and I encourage you to read this entire thing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, title says it all. I want to get pretty good at MK 9; just good enough to be able to compete in tournaments and not get completely destroyed. I'm in it more for the fun than anything else (I seriously enjoy this game).

I'm currently trying to get good with Smoke. I know Smoke isn't a top-tier character, but that's why I chose him. I want to learn the ins and outs of the game before I actually start playing it. I can't take the easy way out by using a top-tier character. I'm also horrible at defense and Smoke players often have to play defensively because of his slow attacks. After I'm comfortable with the important aspects of the game, I'll begin to work my way up the ladder so that I may use a top-tier character, but only after I learn as much as I can about the game.

I believe 40% of a fighting game is to know combos and moves and 60% is to actually know the game itself and what you can do with it (a great deal belongs to patience and confidence, but I haven't worked out a formula for that yet; it just sounds cooler to say 40% combos, 60% game knowledge:) ).

Unfortunately I only have a Xbox 360, so that limits who I can play with. Plus the controller on the 360 isn't so great for fighting games and I still make many mistakes with it. My gamertag is "OreosNbeer," and I usually only have time to play when I'm on break from college (I'm a seasonal player). If anybody wants to play me, please feel free. If anybody wants to teach me or give me any advice, I will seriously appreciate it. If anybody wants to criticize me, please do so KINDLY. It's not smart, nice, or productive to be mean, so if you want to point something out you don't like about me, please, I encourage you to, but please do so respectfully.

Wish me luck!

- WannabePlayer

Some other misc information about me:
• I follow as many tournaments as I can (not very many, sadly)
• I have a passion for nearly all fighting games including but not limited to Super Smash Bros Melee (I'm ready to be bashed for that if I have to) and Street Fighter
• I'm a fan of anybody who loves fighting games enough to compete in a tournament, anybody who loves fighting games and likes to share their passion, and anybody who's modest and is a good sport
• I suck at all fighting games I play (compared to many), but don't care because I enjoy them so much.
• My favorite game is Battlefield 1942

4/12/13 EDIT:
I have leveled up SO much since I wrote this thread. Holy crap. There's a lot I would disagree with my past self about now that I'm reading this :D. Specifically about my comments about Smoke and my take on how a fighting game is played. But yeah, I'd like to thank everyone in the TYM community for helping me level up! And no, I'm not going to tag any specific people because everybody helped me level up! THANKS GUYS, I DON'T OFTEN GET COMPLETELY BODIED NOW!!! :D

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
tl;dr: I'm new, play with Smoke, my gamertag is OreosNbeer, and I encourage you to read this entire thing.
Best. tl;dr. Ever

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Welcome.
You're probably in America so I can't help you with actual matches. Fuck region locks, right?
Just play and have fun. People get salty, ignore them or troll them and laugh. Respectful behaviour is not something you'll find online, but if you can go to offline scenes you should, that's some great fun.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Wait wait wait. As I read it, I have to weigh in on this. Smoke is a top 10 character with very fast normals, like B2, which is a 15 frame overhead. 2 is 9 frames and the best anti air in the game.

With Smoke what you want to do is stay just out of the range of your opponents normals, and try to make them whiff a move (throw a move out there that doesn't connect with you) and punish it. Smoke's pressure, when and if needed, mainly consists of throws, B2, and D4. SMoke is a very defensive character. No shame in letting the timer hit 0 when you have a life lead.

He has a reset as well for 80% one bar kombos off of F4~ENH smoke bomb when you hit them off of a normal smoke bomb, naked or in kombo. Hit them with the F4 at waist level for best results. Learn this and thrive.

Your bad match upss are Kung Lao, Sonya, Kabal. Match ups that aren't awful but hassle you are Jax and Cage, possibly Cyrax but that is debated.

Click on the picture of Smoke in the forum for very detailed threads. Smoke has a great kommunity, especially with FrothyOmen Glass_Sword and RiBBz22 or however the fuck you spell his name.

Add l Enenra l. (The l=lowercase L). I haven't played in a while but I have a rep for helping out the new guys, so I'll keep it going.

Also, do you know fighting game lingo?

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I approve of this thread.

Participate, ask questions, learn to appreciate the value of losing. Play To Win. Think critically about your gameplay. Smoke is awesome, and YOUR'E awesome for choosing him. Good luck.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
You play on xbl? Add me, I'm ready for games:) Xbl: johnny2Dx

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Welcome.
You're probably in America so I can't help you with actual matches. Fuck region locks, right?
Just play and have fun. People get salty, ignore them or troll them and laugh. Respectful behaviour is not something you'll find online, but if you can go to offline scenes you should, that's some great fun.
He's an xbox player. Xbox isn't region locked.

Smoke is a top 10 character...
Please excuse my ignorance. Like I said, I'm new, and I suck. The basic idea behind me saying that he isn't a top-tier character was that he's not frequently chosen, and I've rarely seen him used by serious players, and I've often seen him beaten easily by characters you listed, who I have considered the higher top-tier characters. My use of that term will probably change soon for the better :). Also, as I stated earlier, I'm horrible at defense, and I'm hoping that getting used to Smoke will fix that. It already has a great deal

Also, do you know fighting game lingo?
I know some. I don't know most of it. Can you direct me to a thorough guide or any place to help me learn?

And I'm sure you don't suck - we were all new at some point :)
So you've all sucked as badly as I do at one point. That's comforting :)

Thanks to everybody for welcoming me, correcting me, and making me feel at home!

Impose

A Call For Blood
Please excuse my ignorance. Like I said, I'm new, and I suck. The basic idea behind me saying that he isn't a top-tier character was that he's not frequently chosen, and I've rarely seen him used by serious players, and I've often seen him beaten easily by characters you listed, who I have considered the higher top-tier characters. My use of that term will probably change soon for the better :). Also, as I stated earlier, I'm horrible at defense, and I'm hoping that getting used to Smoke will fix that. It already has a great deal

I know some. I don't know most of it. Can you direct me to a thorough guide or any place to help me learn?

So you've all sucked as badly as I do at one point. That's comforting :)

Thanks to everybody for welcoming me, correcting me, and making me feel at home!
Will you be on tomorrow?
I'll gladly play with you for a bit

as for the lingo. It will come in time. I reccommend not just looking at a list, just gather the knowledge as you go.

I'm new just same as you are.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I was just going to welcome you and point you to the forums, but god I like you. I mean really, I want to say that. I like your outlook on the game, your general approach to this game and the site, and overall you seem very nice and mature. I wish I had a 360 just to play with you.

I really hope you like it here and I really hope TYM treats you well.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I was just going to welcome you and point you to the forums, but god I like you. I mean really, I want to say that. I like your outlook on the game, your general approach to this game and the site, and overall you seem very nice and mature. I wish I had a 360 just to play with you.

I really hope you like it here and I really hope TYM treats you well.

Impose

A Call For Blood
If you end up playing tomorrow

add me
Stillnacht on xbl. I'll go a few rounds as I'll likely be on the entire day. Nothing going on at all

peachyO

Noob
WELCOME TO FUCKING HELL BITCH!!!!!!!!
*eats the lunch that i'm 2 hours late in eating*

why hello there, and welcome to TYM! you seem very modest and friendly. i like you. if you main smoke, that means you chose a solid, top fighter with many tools to win with, so i'm sure you will have little trouble. nice to have you here :D

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I believe 40% of a fighting game is to know combos and moves and 60% is to actually know the game itself and what you can do with it (a great deal belongs to patience and confidence, but I haven't worked out a formula for that yet; it just sounds cooler to say 40% combos, 60% game knowledge:) ).
I'd say it's more like 20%/80% or 15%/85%. To me, 40% is once you've learned the character's moves and the 'patterns' of how to use that character's tools in various situations in the typical/effective ways. Then there are a lot of layers after that to being a 'good' player.

There's a big 3rd factor too, which is: other people. A large part of becoming a better player understanding other people's tendencies/timing; what they will do when, and how risky something you want to do is based on what your opponent might do. This is probably one of the the biggest factors in getting 'better' as a player, and it's why training/experience are just as important as 'knowing the game'. Also, people that have this mastered can sometimes do well with characters without having or knowing 100% of the tools/moves.

Welcome to TYM, and to the long hard road of stepping your game up :)

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Welcome bro, you'll level up here for sure.
Add Chongo Is Free whenever you can. I can't play for a while though. :(

I'd say it's more like 20%/80% or 15%/85%. To me, 40% is once you've learned the character's moves and the 'patterns' of how to use that character's tools in various situations in the typical/effective ways. Then there are a lot of layers after that to being a 'good' player.
That's very true. Thanks for improving upon what I said :D

I love you
I love you too, I think... :D

why hello there, and welcome to TYM!
Thanks! By the way, I love your avatar. It's hilarious to see Sheeva on a fsjal.

Also, to those of you that are adding me on Xbox Live, please let me know that you come from here, and be prepared to be recycled - you can only have a limited amount of friends added :(