What's new

Why Don't You Play Street Fighter?

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I do like sf4 but sadly I'm restricted to playing on a pad due to my fingers not working on my right hand and we all know trying to play sf on a pad is a fucking nightmare.

I did once upon a time and was fairly decent at it at a tournament level. It was my first tournament fighter and I wound up getting to a respectable level with my Juri and Adon (But mostly Juri as time went on). But as the "Cashcom" methods came into play and they wound up intentionally imbalancing the game and freely admitted to as much, I stopped playing it in January 2012. I still can't believe that so much time has passed since I took it seriously after I spent 3 years playing it seemingly non stop. Plus, I can't consider a game where people just jab at each other while crouching all day a fighting game lol.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Please stop this, because it's a stupid reason being thrown out, and being majorly proven wrong with straight results.

A game that doesn't take fundamentals and skill to win? Mario Party.
Not running off the ledge in the ball game takes hella skill

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I like street fighter, but these herp-derp shoryukens online during your pressure get annoying.
There would be a lot less of this if they cut out the shortcuts in inputs.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
Well i wouldn't say shitty, but the lack of footsies, proper walk speed, aa's, coupled with SAFE 5050's yada yada yada! Do make for a pretty unusual fighter..

Last edited:
1 frame links for BnB combos put an obstacle between you and your opponent.

It's not just player vs player, it's player vs controller.

I go from thinking about what I should be thinking:
1) Will I get this move out first?
2) Will they block it?
3) Will it be safe/unsafe?
4) Can I confirm this into a special?

to thinking
1) Will I be able to input this on time?
2) If I miss my inputs, will the result be unsafe?
3) I see they are on my left side, I need to reposition my thumb so it's near the left so I can input this link faster.
4) Should I go for the link that does more damage, or the link that is easier to do?

Basically, as deep as Street Fighter is, the execution is a HUGE barrier between the player and the metagame. You can't even begin to think about player vs player strategy until your execution is so good its second nature.

Why wait for a month while I practice links before I can start getting into the deep strategy of a game, when there are plenty of games available that I can get the execution down in a couple days and then explore a meta-game that is equally as deep?

Don't get me wrong, I love MK. But I see it as a far more easier game to learn than SF. Injustice is just ass in my opinion.
lol, honestly, I've been playing KI lately, and I'm starting to more and more look at Injustice like an ex-girlfriend.

She was fun at the time, but I've met someone hotter, and now Injustice just looks a bit shabby in comparison :p

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
What the hell is a charge character?
A character whose special move set is based on holding (charging) the first input (direction) of their special move for a set amount of time before pressing another direction + a button to perform the special move.

For example: Guile, Honda, Dictator, Claw, Boxer.....

So with Guile if you want to perform his Soncic Boom (projectile) you need to press and Hold (Charge) BACK for two seconds then press TOWARDS + any PUNCH button

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I play Street Fighter, 1 frame links are hard, but once you learn them properly you won't think that much if you will drop it or not, in fact is a good weapon to blow up ppl who mash DP between links and blow them even harder when they're too impulsive.

But still they're some what hard, i recommend playing on a Stick, the execution gets much easier than a D-pad

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I like street fighter, but these herp-derp shoryukens online during your pressure get annoying.
There would be a lot less of this if they cut out the shortcuts in inputs.
The shortcuts are really important for combos involving DP motions.

What annoys you about it? Play any instruments? Some of the little quirks in combos remind me a bit of playing guitar or piano or any instrument with strict timing. Sports require strict timing, too. Can't just shoot a jump shot any old way and expect it to go in the basket. Baseball. I sucked so bad at baseball. Couldn't hit the ball for shit, but I don't dislike the sport because I find that difficult. The yomi is what I like about fighting games. The mental chess game is what makes them interesting, win or lose. The best part about fighting games is that you can use your mind to outsmart an opponent. It's not like in basketball when you reach a certain age and even though you have a swift mind for the game, you realize that your high school buddy is now 6'6", and doing 360 dunks....Dexterity is required but the thinking game is the most fun. Reducing the thinking aspect or making the choices easier to digest is good for business, and I understand it, but it takes away from the fun imo.
Honestly, the fact that it's even possible for you to perform an attack on a mid-air opponent and then have it not hit them even though the hitbox goes right through them annoys me no end. I'm far too accustomed to Tekken-esque juggle systems for anything else to make sense lol.

Also, the lack of combo strings really annoys me as well. Doing LP, LP, LP, c.LP, C.LK etc. just doesn't feel as fluid.