What's new

Why don't you attend tournaments? Tournament future.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I don't go because I don't have a car yet, but that's going to change come tax season. Not in school. Just my ol lady, my two jobs, & I.

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
1. Why don't you attend tournaments?

1st reason why i don't attend tourneys is actually a lack of tourneys itself for nrs games here in Manila, while we do have a great community here, most of the games being featured are sf, umvc3, and other anime fg's, we kinda like relied too much on the other organizers to do the tournaments for us, but we do mostly have it like once in every 2-3 months, that's why we're just planning to organize tournaments for injustice mk on our own, since we do have weekly casuals.

the price incentive isn't much of a factor, since joining tourneys here is pretty cheap only for 3 dollars usually ,but we're planning to raise the stakes high, the type that would draw in other players from other games in

chance of winning isn't really a problem since its either me or my brother Marcus who wins the tournaments here for nrs games,

its not that tournaments here are poorly organised or boring, it is actually hype and is a lot of fun, but the only problem is the frequency of it, i can say that it takes too long for the next tournament too come and other players might get too busy with work or school or other reasons because of long intervals

fighting games is one of our passions, we all have our own fulltime work or school in here, but if we have the time, we try our best to level up and play our best, we are having fun when we play competitively with each other

2. Will online replace offline scenes in future? How long until netcode is indistinguishable from offline?

in our case here in the philippines, no, cause the internet here sucks so bad, you cant even go online through psn or xbl decently, unless you are willing to pay an overpriced and super expensive connections built for office use

and yeah, you can play with others here lag free during casuals offline

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I attend, but not as many as I could. I go to a few GGA locals/FF/UFGT and most recently EVO. Outside of anything not near Chicago..hell no. I pinch pennies to make these events. (Room with loads of people so hotel costs 20-30 bucks for the weekend, having an uncle that lives in vegas so I only need food/flight money..etc.) My car is trash and I don't even trust it to get me to and from work. When I finish my damn degree and get a real job perhaps it will change.

I go to tournaments and try my best. Thinking that I'm going to lose immediately isn't going to help. I go to test myself against the best this community has. So far I'm left at 'almost made it out of pools'. Sometimes I do really terrible, and sometimes I push someone like PPJ to their limit (MK9). Basically I do like to play with friends, but I play just enough to not be super scrubby/ignorant of the game, but not enough to actually win against the best. Do I care? No. It's a weekend hangout with friends doing what I love, which is playing videogames. :D

PureYeti

Living in poverty cave
Good and bad reasons. Other priorities are now taking over so I don't see myself to improve as productive. Usually something happens on the weekends which I can't take the risk on being late to my tournament. I had wasted some money before on early pre reg.

When I do finally compete, I feel frustrated about myself because lack of practice/experience. It's pretty tough for me to enjoy competitively or play for fun.

The price incentive is fine until our "majors" come along with its venue fee. The fee prevents me from competing. :oops:

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
I never go to tournaments because I'm too broke. I was supposed to go to TFC this year but my funds fell through. I really would like to go to a major sometime but funds and nervousness often come into play. I'm afraid once I'd show up and enter my pool the fear would take over and I'd do terrible and be out of however ridiculous amount of money I spent just to get there. I dunno, I've competed in a few online tournaments that were fun and made top 3 in each of them, but that was online and gives me 0 cred. I wish there were locals here in Toledo, Ohio so I can get over personal shit and have some fun and open the door for me into major tournaments.

I'v attended and won locals in three major city's east side of Canada and gained a sponsorship. I'm still a fraud so what's the point of pursuing any farther with injustice? It's a fraud game for frauds like me

There is almost no FGC scene here where I live. I think I am like the only person in the whole area who plays fighting games at all here.
Its a very small city at the border of Switzerland.