What's new

Why don't you attend tournaments? Tournament future.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
1. Why don't you attend tournaments?

Too far away to travel?
Not enough prize incentive?
No realistic chance of winning?
Are tournaments too boring or poorly organised?
Online is 'good enough'?
"I just play for fun with friends."

What would it take to get you to a tourny?

If you attended a tournament, even just 1, share your experience. Was it positive or negative? What did you enjoy? what did you hate? What could change about the tourny scene? Will you try it again? Why/why not?

Vets share your experiences and why you continue to support tournies. Why do you keep coming back? Vets, share your first ever tourny experience and what you thought and felt at the end of that day.

2. Will online replace offline scenes in future? How long until netcode is indistinguishable from offline?

I'll go first.

I attended lots of locals. I attended 2 or 3 regionals (one while abroad thanks to friends in Philippines Marcus migosan ... Actually was that a major?) and 3 majors.

I placed top 8 at every tournament I attended except Southern Cross Championship 2 weeks ago. That was also my first Street Fighter tournament.

My first tournament was in the Philippines. Summer Slam. I placed 2nd. It was the day following a gig my band played in Manila and I was so happy to go and fight in MK. I'm certainly not making excuses, but for story - I had about 3 hours sleep that day, I forced my bandmate drummer to wake up like a Dad and help take me to the tournament. But the sleep didnt affect me, we go in super mode when travelling and we were totally fine. Actually we commented about how great we were feeling, if we were home we'd be walking dead. I was harrassing Marcus all day on the phone for directions. Finally we found the place. I was a bit nervous being a foreigner and tourist and meeting all these new people. But I was not nervous to fight.

I had a couple casuals and there was some excitement because I was a visitor and everyone was super friendly to me. Some people commented on my KL. I played KL and LK that day. I beat 2 players in tourny and was then beaten by a great Noob Saibot. Our first game was interupted by a wireless control. That was so upsetting. Then I was beaten.

I fought back from losers to make the grand final. On the way I faced a Kitana, I hate that match up and so switched to LK for that. Good choice for me cos I won. In grand final I reset the situation. In the end I was finally outplayed by Ermac vs my KL. I feel a bit bad but I lost fair and square. Everyone was so hype. I couldn't really stay for casuals after because my friend was with me and falling asleep in the chair waiting. But I had a lot of fun playing and it was a totally positive experience. I'm still friends with many of those players on Facebook. I hope next time in Philippines I can play Injustice or Street Fighter. That was my only official MK tournament. Since then all my other tournies were IGAU and 1 for Street Fighter.

I left that day feeling mixed. I really enjoyed the tournament, but I feel like I could have won as well. But I can't complain. I met cool people and had a great time. I didnt play my best when it counted. I was outplayed.

I continue to go tournaments because I feel like the best players are attending, and because online is not yet identical to offline. Also to meet friends and people I know in the FGC who are cool guys and will give me tips and solid practice. FGC can be harsh and intimidating at first but they are all softcocks on the inside :p jks I love yall Gilbagz , Disaster FX , Baraa, n-megabyte

Some tourny players who might share their input: (Fuck yall tags maybe a mod can correct them...)

AK Pig Of The Hut
FOREVER KING
REO
Tom Brady
MITDJT
SonicFox5000
EMPEROR_THEO
GGA 16 Bit
GGA Dizzy

Last edited:

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
My first bigish tournament was stick wars. i had a blast. Even though the entries for the tournament was very low i still had fun. Went out for lunch with KDZ, Arma, Fran and like 10 other people and just chilled. I played casuals with as many people as i could and i think that was the best part really. The tournament was run decent IMO. But my major grip with some touraments that make me sorta not want to go is parking fees. Since parking can be over 20 bucks sometimes if they dont give you free parking for entering. But i go to the tournaments to meet people in real life and socialize.Whether i win or lose i know that im learning more from going then from staying home and doing nothing. Even if the pot isnt big im in it for the fact that this is my hobby and not a way for me to make money which i think more people should have that mindset.

Flagg

Noob
I went to the PND offline scene throughout 2011-2012 and it was fun and cool. Think I went to two or three mini tournies? Our scene was a bit small though. Our tournies were fairly well run and everyone had a good laugh. The last one I went to was just before the UK guys went to Evo. A few of us got drunk haha.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
The Olympics have been happening for thousands of years with people competing in person and advancements in technology have not changed this. I know that FGC tournaments are a pale comparison, but the point stands. I expect that traditions amongst the FGC will keep live tournaments a focus of the competitive community, regardless of how much online tournaments increase in popularity. (KI netcode is a prime example of the steps towards that)

The live experience and rush from a room full of people exploding at a hype match can never be replaced.

<3 you too x5STAR, you little cuntnugget.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I'm a full time family man; wife and three kids.
I'm Military; Wok schedule and deployments.
Lack of "free" time; only really game at night when family sleeps.

Honestly it's not from lack of desire, more of different priorities. I enjoy following the tournament scene and wish I could be a bigger part of it but it just isn't my reality.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The long and short of it is funds. I simply cannot afford to spend several thousand on flights/hotels and take time off work to go to as many majors as I'd like.

Bills come first, yo.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
For the most part if there is anything somewhat big if its near by i will go to it. I only didnt go to one of the near by tournaments because i had something else to do that day.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I was 18 and had just gotten to college when I started attending tournaments. I'm 31 now and I still go to everything that my schedule/life/work allows. I stand zero competitive chance anymore, but it doesnt matter. Nothing is as fun as being there in person for the action and the people.

Honestly, it's the people that keep me coming back. While the tournament itself can certainly create some hype and amazing moments, my favorite memories have always involved just hanging out with people, playing casuals, having some drinks, etc. It always makes me sad when, over the years, I've seen people slowly stop coming to tournaments. There are a few really cool and nice people who I'd only ever see at tournaments who are gone now.

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
1. Why don't you attend tournaments?

Too far away to travel?
Not enough prize incentive?
No realistic chance of winning?
Are tournaments too boring or poorly organised?
Online is 'good enough'?
"I just play for fun with friends."

What would it take to get you to a tourny?

If you attended a tournament, even just 1, share your experience. Was it positive or negative? What did you enjoy? what did you hate? What could change about the tourny scene? Will you try it again? Why/why not?

Vets share your experiences and why you continue to support tournies. Why do you keep coming back? Vets, share your first ever tourny experience and what you thought and felt at the end of that day.

2. Will online replace offline scenes in future? How long until netcode is indistinguishable from offline?

I'll go first.

I attended lots of locals. I attended 2 or 3 regionals (one while abroad thanks to friends in Philippines Marcus migosan ... Actually was that a major?) and 3 majors.

I placed top 8 at every tournament I attended except Southern Cross Championship 2 weeks ago. That was also my first Street Fighter tournament.

My first tournament was in the Philippines. Summer Slam. I placed 2nd. It was the day following a gig my band played in Manila and I was so happy to go and fight in MK. I'm certainly not making excuses, but for story - I had about 3 hours sleep that day, I forced my bandmate drummer to wake up like a Dad and help take me to the tournament. But the sleep didnt affect me, we go in super mode when travelling and we were totally fine. Actually we commented about how great we were feeling, if we were home we'd be walking dead. I was harrassing Marcus all day on the phone for directions. Finally we found the place. I was a bit nervous being a foreigner and tourist and meeting all these new people. But I was not nervous to fight.

I had a couple casuals and there was some excitement because I was a visitor and everyone was super friendly to me. Some people commented on my KL. I played KL and LK that day. I beat 2 players in tourny and was then beaten by a great Noob Saibot. Our first game was interupted by a wireless control. That was so upsetting. Then I was beaten.

I fought back from losers to make the grand final. On the way I faced a Kitana, I hate that match up and so switched to LK for that. Good choice for me cos I won. In grand final I reset the situation. In the end I was finally outplayed by Ermac vs my KL. I feel a bit bad but I lost fair and square. Everyone was so hype. I couldn't really stay for casuals after because my friend was with me and falling asleep in the chair waiting. But I had a lot of fun playing and it was a totally positive experience. I'm still friends with many of those players on Facebook. I hope next time in Philippines I can play Injustice or Street Fighter. That was my only official MK tournament. Since then all my other tournies were IGAU and 1 for Street Fighter.

I left that day feeling mixed. I really enjoyed the tournament, but I feel like I could have won as well. But I can't complain. I met cool people and had a great time. I didnt play my best when it counted. I was outplayed.

I continue to go tournaments because I feel like the best players are attending, and because online is not yet identical to offline. Also to meet friends and people I know in the FGC who are cool guys and will give me tips and solid practice. FGC can be harsh and intimidating at first but they are all softcocks on the inside :p jks I love yall Gilbagz , Disaster FX , Baraa, n-megabyte

Some tourny players who might share their input: (Fuck yall tags maybe a mod can correct them...)

AK Pig Of The Hut
FOREVER KING
REO
Tom Brady
MITDJT
SonicFox5000
EMPEROR_THEO
GGA 16 Bit
GGA Dizzy

x5STAR , we are still waiting for your return, we would definitely hold another mk tournament (well we need to re-master everything again hahaha) and of course injustice! if ever you or TONY-T would be visiting us once again, and this time we can tour you around and you can hang out with us during casuals! and yeah, can i join your anti crybaby coalition, HAAHAH! sounds really good man, level up or shutupsss, sounds perfect now that everyone is bitching about this and that, just play the game

i still remember how hype our gfinals was, i was living a nightmare once again when you reset the bracket, told to myself no!! not kunglao again! (cause Marcus always beat me with his KL) it was too close, couldve gone either way,

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
We need true regional leaders so that we don't have confusion on what we consider a "major" tournament.
We dont' have real Regional majors and that is a big problem. I honestly would have no qualm going to a tourney once a year that was relatively near my region.

I feel like there is an over-saturation of "local" tournies masquerading as majors.

I think real minds need to sit down and outline the US map and say "this is area 1"
Maybe you wind up with 5-6 areas. Then you coordinate. There will always be people who want to make every tourney, and that is fine.

There needs to be a set structure, which currently doesn't exist.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I would if I had the time and money, plus I need to train the fuck outta my characters day in and day out. The only ppl are going to the tournaments are the ones that are sponsored, otherwise they would be left in the dirt like the rest of us.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
No money, super free, don't know anybody personally that travels to them. I will be at EVO next year though.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i wish more people would go to tournaments to have fun and hang out with people if they dont have a realistic chance of winning. a community thrives off their pot monsters.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I go to any that are relatively close(Less than an hour). I would travel farther but I work on weekends and do not have the funds to afford so much gas.

Anyone that doesnt go to locals because they think they wont win need to get their priorities straight. Even if you do end up winning the local you might get 100 bucks(which is good but still) and thats it. No one is going to give you major recognition for winning one local. No one is going to blow you up for doing bad at one either. Locals are for meeting new people and just having fun playing the game. I went 1-2 in almost every MK tourney last year(went to at least 11-12) and I had a blast every time. The offline MU experience in casuals is worth more than the actual tournament IMO

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
No one plays NRS games in my scene, it's all about SF4 and Marvel here. I travel to the Mexico City tournies when time and money permits. Unfortunately, I'm feeling less inclined to continue traveling within my country because NRS tournaments are always organized and run poorly.

I do, however, plan to continue attending EVO if there's any game I can compete in.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
1. Because I'm poor
2. Because college is expensive as shit
3. Because I'm free
4. Because the closest thing to me would mean driving roughly 3 hours one way

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Don't have the money to go to a lot of tournaments, I tend to just go to what's around me (UFGT, Frosty Faustings, etc...). Prizes (or the lack thereof), the fact that I probably won't win, etc. doesn't matter, I have fun playing competitively and so I try to do so as much as possible.

Cabronium

Stream monster: Qperg.
I really want to attend tournaments and become a high level player however I'm not well known, I'm in high school, and i am committed to basketball and I live in Kentucky so I'm kind of away from everything.
I train a lot online but hopefully in the spring and summer i will be able to go to tournaments.