What's new

Why does Sonic Fox win everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6 year old picks up a ball and within a month looks like he's super gifted at a particular sport. That's not talent guys, that's just hard work. Every child prodigy is the result of hard work as a child. Hard work he was able to put in while simultaneously going to school, doing his homework, and other child-related activities.

This is seriously what is being claimed in this thread. The word "talented" should never be used because there's no such thing. It's just an excuse.

Again, that is something that someone is not only claiming, but doing it in a condescending fashion and calling his arguments facts. Then again, that person also trained himself to react to Batgirl's 50/50... (see, now that's criticism).
There is no "talent" in tic tac toe. You would agree right? If you aren't retarded, it should take a few minutes to reach the skill ceiling. No matter how dumb I am, or how smart my opponent is, we will be on equal level once reaching the skill ceiling. Same with mkx. NOT the same with chess because the skill ceiling is not humanly possible to reach, so the smarter guy just wins in chess. You pretty much have to be born the chess champion. That's not the case in mkx. It's a pretty simple arguement to follow, and I present it as fact because it is a fact. As F0xy has already stated, it's not the most complex game in the world.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Guys the best talent analogy is art.

Yeah you can learn and practice and get better.

But you won't ever be as good as someone with a natural gift for it.
I agree, but no talent reaches excellence without hard work and practice.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
There is no "talent" in tic tac toe. You would agree right? If you aren't (soap bar in my mouth), it should take a few minutes to reach the skill ceiling. No matter how dumb I am, or how smart my opponent is, we will be on equal level once reaching the skill ceiling. Same with mkx. NOT the same with chess because the skill ceiling is not humanly possible to reach, so the smarter guy just wins in chess. You pretty much have to be born the chess champion. That's not the case in mkx. It's a pretty simple argument to follow, and I present it as fact because it is a fact. As F0xy has already stated, it's not the most complex game in the world.
I don't know if it is from my own blind spots or yours, but I see MKX as a very complex game.

There is no "talent" in tic tac toe. You would agree right? If you aren't (soap bar in my mouth), it should take a few minutes to reach the skill ceiling. No matter how dumb I am, or how smart my opponent is, we will be on equal level once reaching the skill ceiling. Same with mkx. NOT the same with chess because the skill ceiling is not humanly possible to reach, so the smarter guy just wins in chess. You pretty much have to be born the chess champion. That's not the case in mkx. It's a pretty simple arguement to follow, and I present it as fact because it is a fact. As F0xy has already stated, it's not the most complex game in the world.
we can't say the R word?

coolwhip

Noob
There is no "talent" in tic tac toe. You would agree right? If you aren't (soap bar in my mouth), it should take a few minutes to reach the skill ceiling. No matter how dumb I am, or how smart my opponent is, we will be on equal level once reaching the skill ceiling. Same with mkx. NOT the same with chess because the skill ceiling is not humanly possible to reach, so the smarter guy just wins in chess. You pretty much have to be born the chess champion. That's not the case in mkx. It's a pretty simple arguement to follow, and I present it as fact because it is a fact. As F0xy has already stated, it's not the most complex game in the world.
No, you present it as a fact because you're wrong and being arrogant about it. You seriously think talent doesn't matter in video games and at a certain point, the playing field should be level? Daigo says hi.

Now, Sonic Fox isn't Daigo, and MKX isn't the most complicated game in the world. However, just because something isn't complicated (relatively speaking) doesn't mean everyone can just catch up to an insanely talented guy at fighting games who happens to work very hard. Again, instead of speaking in abstract terms, I'm pin pointing elements that Sonic Fox seems to be better than most at, such as decision making, reactions, etc...

You comparing that to tic tac toe verges on the insulting as far as obtuse arguments go. Because newsflash, even if MKX isn't as complicated as some other fighting games, it is clearly complicated enough to where someone might walk into a ceiling. Or are you seriously implying that anyone who ever picked up the game can be as good as the best player with mere hard work?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
This is ridiculous now. Fox is best because of a mixture of both talent and hard work.

And as a lot of people have already said, talent does exist. It's not the only factor to why someone is good or not but you'd be silly to deny natural talents existence.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
This thread got all philosophical. Why can't we just chop it up to the Elder Gods granting him strength? HE IS THE ONE WHO WILL SAVE US.

#MakeEarthrealmGreatAgain

Reactions: GAV
Has anyone said 'he doesn't complain, doesn't spend time griping and asking for nerfs and buffs, he just plays the game'?

No, you present it as a fact because you're wrong and being arrogant about it. You seriously think talent doesn't matter in video games and at a certain point, the playing field should be level? Daigo says hi.

Now, Sonic Fox isn't Daigo, and MKX isn't the most complicated game in the world. However, just because something isn't complicated (relatively speaking) doesn't mean everyone can just catch up to an insanely talented guy at fighting games who happens to work very hard. Again, instead of speaking in abstract terms, I'm pin pointing elements that Sonic Fox seems to be better than most at, such as decision making, reactions, etc...

You comparing that to tic tac toe verges on the insulting as far as obtuse arguments go. Because newsflash, even if MKX isn't as complicated as some other fighting games, it is clearly complicated enough to where someone might walk into a ceiling. Or are you seriously implying that anyone who ever picked up the game can be as good as the best player with mere hard work?
I'm implying that anyone who loves mkx, and who wants to be the best bad enough, can be the best. That's what I'm implying and I feel like this would be less controversial to say in another fighting game community like melee somehow. I somehow think if I said "to be the best you just have to want it bad enough and work your ass off" on smashboards people would just say "well..... yeah." . I think having someone on top for so long has really twisted how people think about what it takes to be the best in this community. Because someone has been on top for so long like a god, the community has started treating him like one. And therefore people think he must just have a godlike talent that no normal man can obtain. He is somehow more than man. That's the impression I've gotten in this thread and I'm sorry to say it, but I simply find it ridiculous. Because there is only one man who wants to be the best as bad as sonic fox, it has given you guys the false impression that he just can't be beaten because he was born with NRS god blood. This community has become a pseudo religion. From what I've read in this thread anyway.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
yknow, i don't remember where i heard this, but i heard that there was research done that if you put this approximate amount of time into anything you will become a pro at it.

yknow, i don't remember where i heard this, but i heard that there was research done that if you put this approximate amount of time into anything you will become a pro at it.
In college I read about that. It was about dancers and violinists and how long it took them to become great at what they do. I'm sure it applies here in mkx. Some people will make more out of their time than others but eventually everyone can reach the ceiling of greatness.

trufenix

bye felicia
How can anyone who respects our players continue this thread? Please stop. You have long since crossed the line to offensive.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
In college I read about that. It was about dancers and violinists and how long it took them to become great at what they do. I'm sure it applies here in mkx. Some people will make more out of their time than others but eventually everyone can reach the ceiling of greatness.
Everyone has their own ceiling, and not all ceilings are the same. You can give two kids the same number of hours and one of them will end up better than the other.

It's why out of all the players who dedicate countless hours to playing and training for High School and College sports, only a tiny % of them will make it to the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL.

And of those, only a tinier % still will be true stars.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Actually, I know why he's good. I know what it takes to be the best. It takes love for the game, practicing a lot, learning it in and out, and dedication to being the best. I guess the real question I'm trying to ask is where the hell is all the competition? Seriously. No one wants to be better? Where are the other top players? Have you guys not been watching videos and studying him? It's not like he has some incredibly secret knowledge of the game
that you don't have. It's frame data, spacing, and mind games. This guy has been on top since the game released and no one has learned how to beat him? Really??? You guys are slacking. Sonic Fox is amazing and deserves all the credit he ever gets, but a lot of the reason he's always been number 1 HAS to be because the other top players just aren't working hard enough. You guys need to get it together.
He tier jocks when he starts to lose. See: Evo 2016 Finals. Tekken deserved the win. I laughed when I saw him choose Acidic. He's hella good though, either way.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
NRS games are nothing but button mashing and luck. No real ACTUAL skilled involved in those games whatsoever. =/
despite this being an obvious troll and knowing I should not engage I just have to say this is such rubbish. Only a fool would have this opinion either through ignorance or bias.

The proof is in the results. If a game is "random" then you would expect "random" results" but there isn't. How can a game be possibly considered random when it is the exact same names making it to finals every time. The results speak for themselves. The best players ALWAYS make it into top8 every time. Randomness has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. 10,000 hours into anything will make you a pro at it. The author also made several references that implied that people like the Beatles, Bill Gates, and even the Finnish World Hockey Team had advantages that were essential to their success, barring the entire argument of "talent vs. training your ass off."

How can anyone who respects our players continue this thread? Please stop. You have long since crossed the line to offensive.
Really? I think it is extremely valuable to listen to other people's opinions, even if you find them offensive. I would hate to live in a world where I only heard things I agreed with my whole life.

Everyone has their own ceiling, and not all ceilings are the same. You can give two kids the same number of hours and one of them will end up better then the other.

It's why out of all the players who dedicate countless hours to playing and training for High School and College sports, only a tiny % of them will make it to the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL.

And of those, only a tinier % still will be true stars.
I'm talking about the game's ceiling.

Physical sports are different than video games. I'm like 5'10 . This automatically means that I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to basketball. Of course I'm probably not going to be the best at basket ball simply because of my height, no matter how many hours I put in. Video games really shouldn't be compared to sports.

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. 10,000 hours into anything will make you a pro at it. The author also made several references that implied that people like the Beatles, Bill Gates, and even the Finnish World Hockey Team had advantages that were essential to their success, barring the entire argument of "talent vs. training your ass off."
I don't think I've read specifically what you are talking about, but I'm guessing the author wasn't saying Bill Gates was simply more talented, but instead argued that it had more to do with factors like luck. And, also, context matters.

trufenix

bye felicia
He tier jocks when he starts to lose. See: Evo 2016 Finals. Tekken deserved the win. I laughed when I saw him choose Acidic. He's hella good though, either way.
You say that like he hadn't already come back and beaten tekken master 2 games with a variation people don't even call high tier.

Has anyone tagged him and just asked the question? Hey @SonicFox5000 y u so gud?

Also, hai TYM. It's been a minute.
Yea they tagged him but as soon as he replied someone started bashing on his Street Fighter 5 results and saying he's a scrub in SF 5 so I'm guessing he just decided to stay away from negativity maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.