What's new

Question - Master of Storms Why does no one play MoS?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I was just playing around online and got MoS and he seems genuinely pretty good but I hear so little discussion about him, why is this?
I feel like he might be one of the most under labbed variations around still, sure people have spent some time with him but it seems that no one has committed to really making him viable to some degree, MoS is just NEVER seen at least from my experience.

Inb4 "I actually play MoS"
Inb4 *Insert buff list for MoS*

Discuss what you think about the usage of MoS whether he maybe needs alot more digging or if he's already fairly good and viable to some small degree perhaps not for Majors but maybe to more casual play.

....or is he really just the new D tier.:DOGE

(Also can we discuss that throwing an orb forward grants first hit even though it's not technically a hit)

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
This has inspired me to try out mos, since well, I tend to use the under utilized variations/shitty variations like lasher (underutilized) necromancer shinnok (shitty) and balanced kenshi (really really shitty)

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I honestly kinda wanna explore it

This has inspired me to try out mos, since well, I tend to use the under utilized variations/shitty variations like lasher (underutilized) necromancer shinnok (shitty) and balanced kenshi (really really shitty)
Necro is underutilized - it's actually solid

I actually play mos :DOGE

No seriously I do, and I go to wonder why no one plays him
I feel like it would be trap pressure sorta like what dualist has no?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I honestly kinda wanna explore it

Necro is underutilized - it's actually solid

I feel like it would be trap pressure sorta like what dualist has no?
oh yeah i know it is solid, it is just that compared to imposter and especially boneshaper, it is shitty

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Last time I labbed it, it was really unsafe. Some tech but nothing that you can win a set on, entirely.
It just seemed like to lay down orbs without meter i'd have to land hits and otherwise to setup safely I would use meter, doesn't seem all that unfair either end of the fight.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
It just seemed like to lay down orbs without meter i'd have to land hits and otherwise to setup safely I would use meter, doesn't seem all that unfair either end of the fight.
Most things on hit into an orb leave Raiden open to a punish by a waking up opponent iirc

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
putting an orb isn t safe the Ex one is not safe either they ll hit you then get hit by it
Yeah but what can they hit you with a jab? seems like a bad trade to get hit by orbs for a jab then still force them to be on the defense, I guess all this other pressure makes MoS pale in comparison and not worth it.

Yeah but what can they hit you with a jab? seems like a bad trade to get hit by orbs for a jab then still force them to be on the defense, I guess all this other pressure makes MoS pale in comparison and not worth it.
U used a bar to trade with a poke it s actually bad all raiden MoS has is really good damage but it does the same as displacer

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
I like to play MoS, but like others have said using the orbs isn't all that safe. What master of storms does really well in my opinion is stop pressure and punish people who want to disrespect your turn when they are slightly plus. The lightning ball can stop running opponents which can really mess up the approach/combos of RC based characters like Cassie, D'Vorah, etc. It also can serve as a combo breaker to mess with the rhythm of rush down characters. His traps aren't defensive only as well. They can be used in the corner to force a reset which is pretty cool.

All of that being said, MoS is never my first pick against an opponent and it wouldn't be even if was the Raiden variation I played best with. The reason for this has to do with where I see the meta going in regards to the variation system. MoS is a counter pick to certain play-styles that might give you difficulty or a way to change up your Raiden game drastically when playing opponents who are familiar with you.

When I play MoS I change my play to a read based game when I use low damage set ups to be able to use traps which either protect me or lead to a trade in my favor. This only works against certain players so it is a situational pick for sure. That's why I think a lot of people give MoS a try and think it's a PoS.

Vaiist

Noob
There's two things that really hurt MoS:

1. Recovery after putting out an orb is pretty bad.
2. Orbs hit high.

If somebody doesn't know the matchup, you're bound to win the first couple matches in a set simply based on confusion and tampering with their natural rhythm. Once they realize how easily they can low poke and/or armor through the trap, you've lost a significant amount of your pressure. I mained him up until the September patch, and switched to Displacer after he got better recovery on his standard teleport. I love MoS stylistically, but you gain so much more from TG or Displacer.

There are a couple situations where I will switch to MoS during a set though. He can really screw with people who teleport, jump, or run in a lot. Lao and Scorpion love to throw out their jump teleports that land behind you. Sonya and Tanya will leap from across the screen and drop down on you. Cassie and Devorah will run in at you. He is great for catching them in those situations and really fucking up the way they naturally get it on you. In those instances he really helps.

Like I mentioned earlier though, people will catch on. The biggest reason MoS even gets away with anything is because barely anyone plays him. Almost nobody knows the matchup and people often won't fully realize what he's doing at first. This is great for a few wins, but in a long set or tournament level play you'll find yourself desperately trying to apply pressure.

A few things that could really make him more viable: Better recover on orbs. Orbs hit mid. Orbs deal more chip and stop run ins (on par with EB's caltrops), and consistent armor breaking. If you have somebody knocked down under a single trap, it *is* possible for a quick normal to blow up their armor if they get hit with a tic of the orb at the same time. If this was made more consistent you would really up the psychological factor.

As a side note, it seems kinda crazy to me that TG gets everything he does while the others only get one tool. TG gets stop ball and teleport strings. In my opinion stopping an EX lightning ball seems more like an MoS thing. If MoS had everything I mentioned plus the stop ball I think we'd really be cooking with gas. Unfortunately I don't see him getting any major improvements, which for me personally means Displacer will always be more appealing unless I notice a particular tendency in my opponent that MoS can exploit for a match or two.

That having been said, I was playing Displacer last night and was going toe to toe with somebody for awhile. I ended up switching to MoS and took about 7 matches in a row before we called it a night. So...we're out there. I give him some love when I can, I just wish NRS loved him back. On the other hand, it could be worse. If he was top tier then we'd all be tired of seeing him, and if he was even slightly higher than he'd probably appear more and the average person would be more prepared to deal with him. As it is now, he's kind of like my dirty little secret that's hiding in plain sight.

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I was just playing around online and got MoS and he seems genuinely pretty good but I hear so little discussion about him, why is this?
I feel like he might be one of the most under labbed variations around still, sure people have spent some time with him but it seems that no one has committed to really making him viable to some degree, MoS is just NEVER seen at least from my experience.

Inb4 "I actually play MoS"
Inb4 *Insert buff list for MoS*

Discuss what you think about the usage of MoS whether he maybe needs alot more digging or if he's already fairly good and viable to some small degree perhaps not for Majors but maybe to more casual play.

....or is he really just the new D tier.:DOGE

(Also can we discuss that throwing an orb forward grants first hit even though it's not technically a hit)
How do you open up opponents with him?

What are his punishment options?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
How do you open up opponents with him?

What are his punishment options?
Oh don't look at me as if i'm an authority on him, i'm just asking an honest question I don't know why people don't use him I thought he looked useable.