What's new

Why do you main the characters you main today?

Why do you main the characters you main today?

BLANKA

I mained Blanka and I want tbh here because when I started playing SFIV Vanilla 5 years ago I couldn't do a single combo on PS3 pad. I have spent so much time in training room and for the first year of playing this game Ive never rly understood how to get the timing right for combos in this game. Ye, I know
I am a slow learner.
So I ended up looking for a character that didn't rly need combos to win which was Blanka. Kinda lame I know...
Blanka was in SFIV Vanilla actually a pretty strong character that many characters couldn't punish properly ( Blanka balls ) and ye if I take a look back I was playing hella lame and probably still these days according to many ppl who have played vs my Blanka.

GUILE

Later then I started to look for another character which was Guile.
The reason why I started playing this character was because of 1 player and that's GeoM MoDInside
who invented the rushdown playstyle ( which rly amazed me ) with Guile although Guile was a defensive character which is played the most effective when turtling / walking back and throwing sonic booms all day long and whenever the
opponent tries to jump in Guile can easily anti air them with his insane SB recovery and 8 AAs,
BUT GeoM MoD has proven the world that Guile can do even more and since then I started actually putting in a lot of time ( maybe way too much time during the last 3 years ) on SSF4AE till I was actually pretty solid with this character and ye Ive even learned combos since then. :p

DEATHSTROKE

Tbh DS and Batman were the only character I was actually interested in learning because Ive always been a huge fan of Batman and Ninja / Kung Fu movies ( DS is a Ninja right [?] who has a mixed fighting game style of Kung Fu and high tech weapons) ) when this game came out. But I had a hard time with BM to adapt vs other characters which were rly strong close range, so I ended up maining DS because he reminds me of a better version of Guile ( or at least when this game got released but later on NRS nerfed DS to mid tier or even worse right now? ) with his keep away game and whenever someone tries to jump in you can anti air them with SF. I just thought the whole move set of DS was one of the coolest in this game.
Today DS is one of my favorite character of all time in any fighting game and Ive even made an official
Deathstroke music vid about him. :p

MITSURUGI

Been playing Soul Calibur since 12 years ago when this game was released on Dreamcast. Ive always been a huge fan of Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai and Mitsurugi was the only character in the whole SC roster which is a Samurai so I mained him even when he has alway been a pretty mid tier character ( ? )...
Ye, as ppl can see I base my decision on maining a character quite often on what kind of movies or animes I like.

CHIE
That's the same reason why I am learning Chie in P4A right now because Ive been a Bruce Lee fan since beginning ( lol almost all my vids got Bruce Lee thumbnails ). Maybe I will give Fei Long a try one day when I have more time once I graduated from university.
But Ive to say this game is hella difficult especially when you come from a FG like SSF4, IGAU or SC.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
My name is actually based on my Marvel 3 team. I use Crimson Viper, Dante, and Vergil. I use Viper because I'm a huge MarlinPie fan and his combos are so exciting. This inspired me to pick her up even though I'm not good with her. I use Dante and Vergil because I love DMC. I use Mitsuru in Persona 4 because she's like a female Vergil. In prepatch Injustice I used Batman because @DarthArma made him look so fun. In post patch I mostly use Superman because I'm a hipster and didn't want to be on the broken bandwagon. KDZ's combos were always hype to me; I just decided to try them out after Superman was deemed fair.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
LOBO: He's everything I ever wanted IRL dreads, motorcycles, and swole lmao. The appeal of the character drew me in the first time I saw the trailer. I bought him on day 1 and despite him being "Low Tier" pre-patch I put a ton of work into mastering him and I like to think I have a pretty good Lobo.

ONI: The concept of merciless powerful characters really draws me in Lobo, Broly, Oni ETC. I chose Oni because I like his move-set and his character. He's just really awesome. Most of the time I choose characters strictly off appeal to me instead of tier rating so even though I suck A$$ at SSFIV Oni is my main.

REPTILE: IDK he's awesome and I love his combos this is the only character I've ever played from a technical standpoint.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Because they are easy to use.

Bane? Top 3 easiest characters to use.
Hakan? Actually that's more because of the resource management. Still not hard.
Kankuro? Not hard to use at all really, hopelessly OP.
Elliot? Mash buttons and hope your opponent can't do mid holds.
Thunder? Hope the opponent is really bad at avoiding tick throws.

Like literally the most technical character I've played and actually been good at was... Li Long in SC3.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Nightwolf - I like the sound his strings and shoulder make when they hit u.honestly that's the only reason lol.

Shang tsung-because he's the coolest character in mk9.

Raiden-always liked raiden in mk1,guess its the whole big trouble in little china thing.

zod-always liked zod from the original movies,I think his injustice character design is amazing,I love sitting in practice mode pissing about with trait mix ups and lets face it mb phantom strike is the coolest move In the game.

Sinestro- lol,I don't think I can say.its kinda racist.

Matix218

Get over here!
Mk9:
smoke: I liked his b2 and his d4. I liked his damage output and his combos looked cool. I loved how everything he does can end in different kinds of pressure with smoke towards or whiffed teleport etc. Of the 5 characters I play in mk9 (smoke, ermac, scorp, sub, noob) smokes moveset just clicked with me.

Injustice:
deathstroke: the second I learned this character I knew I had found my main. I love counter zoning and punishing mistakes and I love mixups. I love his j3 and f3 and I love his corner mixups. I only had one main pre deathstroke (GL) and although he may be a better character I just do not enjoy playing him as much as I do DS

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I'll keep it limited to what is mainstream right now.

CAMMY
She has the coolest character design to me, and I love her voice in both english and japanese. Plus I love her kinda high risk high reward play style and vortexes are cool to me.

ZERO/MAGNETO/VERGIL
I love the combos these characters can do, and Zero and Vergil are like my favorite Capcom characters. I wanted a Marvel character to round out the group, and Magneto had the coolest combos for me out of all of them. Again, they all have a high risk high reward play style.

NATSU
I'm a huge fan of ninjas and I played Taki so I picked her up. Simple as that.

YOSUKE
Same reason really. He's super ninja like and he's got the same playstyle.

CHIPP
Another ninja. Pretty much identical to Yosuke in playstyle but with less reward.

JIN/LARS
My favorite Tekken characters. I love Jin's moves because they just seem like you can really feel it when they hit. Same with Lars.

MOMOJI
Again....ninja. That and she's super waifu status.

HAZAMA
His chains are like the coolest mechanic in Blazblue and his combos are so cool. Great character design too.

SMOKE
I love his moveset and his reset is super cool. Plus smoke is such a cool concept to fight with.

BATGIRL
Batman is my favorite DC comic, and while I mained Batman for awhile, Batgirl's playstyle just clicks with me more. That and I love vortexes.

Last edited:

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Cyrax: MK3 was the first fighter I ever played and Cyrax was the first character I ever mained. I loved covering the stage in bombs and making my friends jump around :D. MK9 comes around and.... yeah the strategy didn't really change, and they even gave him a buzz saw an a command grab to play with! So many gadgets...

Lex: Didn't have any character loyalty in IGAU since I'm not a comic guy. Played around with Grundy and Frost, but eventually decided on Lex because GADGETS. Mines, probes, orbital strikes, lance blasts, hell his freaking suit... he takes covering the stage with shit to a whole new level (and he's really the only reason I play Injustice anymore. I don't find the game fun to play, but Lex is)

Spinal: Pretty much the same reason I play Cyrax as far as "character loyalty" goes. I had KI on the SNES and even though I was young and never really found out how to play it, I still loved it. The atmosphere of the game and the soundtrack was just amazing. Spinal was the character I always picked because he was a skeleton who would kick ass with a shield and sword. Plus, dat laugh. How awesome can you get? (I also don't think Double Helix could have done a better with Spinal in the X-Box One version. Everything about his character is absolutely perfect)

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Because they are easy to use.

Bane? Top 3 easiest characters to use.
Hakan? Actually that's more because of the resource management. Still not hard.
Kankuro? Not hard to use at all really, hopelessly OP.
Elliot? Mash buttons and hope your opponent can't do mid holds.
Thunder? Hope the opponent is really bad at avoiding tick throws.

Like literally the most technical character I've played and actually been good at was... Li Long in SC3.
I'm seeing a strong trend of grapplers here. There must be something more to your choices.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I'm a flashy guy and I like to impress. Quan chi is fun to watch and I have to actually use my brain!

Baraka because he's my favorite mk character. No idea why.

Injustice started on cat woman because she is my favorite DC character. She sucked so I switched to sinestro because he seemed more quan like. He sucked. Had a fling with Harley. She sucked. Fell in love with a Martian.

Natsu because she's a girl and I generally main women in my secondary games.

Juri same reason.

Wolf in VF because he's the only openly Canadian fighter. I'm also liking Eileen a lot lately too

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
MK9:
Smoke (early): Favorite character in the MK9 franchise...also teleports.

Sektor: Teleport Uppercut

Freddy: Hat tier. Also because of teleports and zoning...

Kung Lao: Because of teleport, and his crazy mobility...also hat tier.

Injustice:
Ares: Because he looks badass, has teleports, and has zoning...

Doomsday: His "In" presence.

Martian Manhunter: Teleports

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
MK9: Sonya, because i love her outfit TBH, and i love rushdown characters that are godlike at rushing down, also i love her fatalities & moves.
Injustice: Wonder Woman, because i love her outfits, she is a beast rushdown character, she is perfect, i love her moves & all the options she has, she also is one of my top 5 favorite comic charcters.
Skullgirls: Filia, beast rushdown character, i love her outfits, i love the way she uses her hair as attacks, i love her voice & moves.
UMVC3: Morrigan, she is more a zoning character, but i love that she is so ratchet & sexy, also i love her moves.

Basically i choose my characters because of their outfits. Lol

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Green Lantern- You'd struggle to find a bigger GL fan than me.

Noob Saibot- Portal resets! And he's the only damn Ninja in that game who actually dresses in black.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I don't really have a main in Injustice it's the first game where I wanted to use everyone.

In Marvel my teams have always had sentinel in them Sentinel force is my favorite assist in the game, Sentinel is my best character and he isn't completely overused like Doom also armor is nice. My two main teams were Shuma/Sentinel/Pheonix and Ghost Rider/Ryu/Sentinel

In DOA my main was pretty much Hayate for the entire time I played the game I liked his mobility with his wind moves, I forget the names but it made him a great hit and run character he also had good throws and a great summersault kick get off me type move I started to play Alpha as well because she had the same move as well as similar mobility.

I haven't played Street Fighter since vanilla but I plan on getting back into it when Ultra comes out, I kinda want to use Hugo but he has a history of being garbage.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
E. Ryu/Ken: because Arcades, qcf p, and raging demon
Ermac: because ninjas and lift
Lantern: probably because Ermac and Kyle Rayner
Cap/Iron Man/Missiles: because MvC1/MvC2/foot dive. but i always swap iron man out for others (vergil, deadpool, morrigan, Ryu)