What's new

Why do we let EVO treat us like this?

Truthfully people could show up in greater numbers, all for a stake in the privilege of being included in Evo which ultimately as we all know is a Capcom major featuring side games prominent or otherwise. Or as someone else put it, you could invest your money in tournaments that cater to your game of choice. CEO, combo breaker, kit, the Commonwealth and whatever others maybe out there.

You make the decision to try and boost representation at a game that will more less always be a side title to Street Fighter and there's nothing wrong with that given the size of the event. Or you spend your money elsewhere at tournaments that cater to NRS titles. The tournaments I listed above did not seem to have an issue with time constraint, stream time for the games, or seating at least not that I heard. So if you have more fun at those tournaments I say go there. Evo will always be Evo and experience that every player should get to have at least once.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Fuck it. I will sign in. Yea. They skimped out so hard this year. Or at least that is how it felt. Basketball con for toddlers and get it 2016 had way more space and carpet. Nobody showed up to any of these events. The convention center removed everyone from the strip so our only options for food was to wait an hour in line for a shit sandwich. No carpet wore out my feet and ass (granted ive been in vegas for 7 days now so I am just exhausted). Our event grabbed random aliens to play on stream rather than vetting good matches and overall treated it like a side event. I was running all around helping volunteer judges grab players for matches because I couldnt bare to see ppl like biohazard and tom brady get disqualified. Fuck evo.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
you fix it by not supporting it. The same way you get a game dev to change shitty marketing tactics.

The reason disk locked content is so big? people payed for it. Stop paying in, and they can have capcom cup part 2, or whatever a Capcom only evo would be.

Literally ignore them and their BS. Don't pay, don't show.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
you fix it by not supporting it. The same way you get a game dev to change shitty marketing tactics.

The reason disk locked content is so big? people payed for it. Stop paying in, and they can have capcom cup part 2, or whatever a Capcom only evo would be.

Literally ignore them and their BS. Don't pay, don't show.
That doesn't fix anything.

EVO had a lot of major changes this year.. Two new venues, first time with Sunday in an arena, first time with national TV broadcast, thousands more entrants than usual, and the biggest individual fighting game tournaments held to date.

What will show their true mettle is not just how this year went, but how they will respond to it, acknowledge/correct the issues, and smooth things out for next year. In order to do that, they're going to need everybody's help, and that has to start immediately rather than waiting until 2017.

If it's anything like Jebailey's situation with CEO this year, they're probably already aware of some of this issues (Jebailey wrote a huge post after CEO 2016 apologizing, explaining, and talking about continuing to improve):
https://ceogaming.org/ceo2016feedback

It's not just us; other games are feeling the crunch at EVO this year:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4t84no/smash_4_evo_2016_feedback_thread/

So at the end of the day, the FGC communities boycotting the flagship FGC event, when we already have tons of competition from the biggest esports events of other games, isn't the way to go. That effort is better spent to pitch in somehow, talk to people, and try to help make EVO 2017 the best it's ever been.

Last edited:

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I mean in an ideal world, we'd change our 'EVO' to being either KiT/CEO/CB/ESL.

Didnt Tekken have Final Round as their most important tournament? Why couldnt we do something and shift our communities efforts.
I have a suggestion for that. Project Akon is the oldest andlongest running Anime Convention in thr USA. We have the venue space with a TOP TIER STAGE SETUP! Its a three day event held in Dallas and weve been looking to grow. We have strong family like ties to VersusGameplay whom work with PandaXGaming and help turn AB7 into aCapcom Pro Tour event. So Texas is ripe land to build your own scene. Not to take anything aay from anyone I just believe Akon is a wonderful timeslot, vacation, and sigh of relief before EVO. It alays happens happens at the beginnig of June and is located at the Hilton Anatole in Downtown Dallas with NEARLY SEVEN HOTELS WITHIN A BLOCK FROM THE MAIN VENUE! And it has its own Park thats being coverted into a WATERPARK! So you get to seecosplayers having splash time. YokoLittner neverlooked better...Did I mention the 20hr food trucks outside. JimmyJones, Ganghis Grill, etc, etc.

We have beenlooking to turn Akon Gaming into sometihing new, and exciting. If you all want it then are Akon Council WILL listen. Send em an email, use your twitters, facebooks, visit Our website, google Project Akon, The Hilton Anatole, which is the same venue Quakecon uses, and hit up my boss Ed Thomas on facebook and he will GLADLY listen to ALL OF YOU! If any of you know the crew at VersusGameplay then you know when wereally wantsomething we give t our all. Salty Mayhem and Akon Gaming are no different. We work togeher to become great.

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
Thank god someone made this thread, I been saying this since last years Evo honestly. Also noticed Pig talking about it on Twitter. What I don't understand is how an American tournament can shaft American games such as (MK & KI) and focus on the Japanese games like anime and street fighter, I understand they have a larger community but wtf man this is our country and Americans hate their own games wth

I would also like to add why can't someone do what Brandon Alexander did for the KI community and make an annual NRS World Cup??

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Why show the NRS scene any love? One of the smallest games that were there as far as registrants, and people can pretty much assume SonicFox will win. The MKX tournament gamers, the results are in, and Maury even says that SonicFox IS your father.
Wait, I'm not making sense of this, maybe it is me that is wrong in reading this, but are you saying that because SonicFox wins the majority of MKX events, that means the entire community deserves less respect at a major event?

Also, the newest games naturally have the smallest communities and turnouts, so I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make with that.

What happens next year to the SF community if Infiltration wins? because last I checked, he was number 1, and we can pretty much "assume" he will win also, so if I was in the SF community by your logic, I would be worried for my games tournament scene.

I don't think you realise what you are doing, or maybe you do, but check this out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

Last edited:

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Oh yeah. Akon has Raves as well. Live concerts, three bars(one located rightnext to the Waterpark), and our Gaming room is 24hrs. It literally opens on Fridays and closes on Sunday. You can walk in andout and run as many matches as you want. We use a 6000 dollar projecter you hang from the roof.

We have panels, and anime reveals, cosplay content sts, artist alleys and a Two room wide Dealers room(stupid big, itslike tha size of a small home depo), we have battlepods which are mech sims, and EVERY FIGHTING GAME! I run sides tornaments of Skullgirls, Injustice, fucking J-Star Victory Vs amd shit. Trust me its great guys. Research and hit me up. Christopher Thomas on facebook, keyword south oak cliff.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
Real talk. And can someone explain how the hell is Smash more popular than Mortal Kombat?
looking at that community form the outside i would guess that it is because they are a more positive community. more passionate. less complaining and they also seem to be a tighter nit community.

sometimes our community seems so fragmented

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
@A F0xy Grampa thanks for the tag.

I know this might be a stretch but I think it might be time to look towards a community built "NRS Cup". Now that we have established stronger than ever support and relationships with ESL and WB, I believe we could make an event for the community, ran by the community. It would take a few years maybe to get to the level we want it to be but with the way that EVO is going it doesn't look like we'll be relevant in that tournament much longer

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
even as a viewer i could tell that this wasnt the best tournament.... personally i like the idea of making a different tournament our evo. i vote for either C.E.O or the Commonwealth just for the fact that that's new and itd be easier to shape it to what we wanted going forward

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
When I was watching the stream I was upset with how many commercial breaks they had. Also, they seriously should not have made MK 2/3, and MK didn't deserve to be so far behind schedule either

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
NRS Community, support the tournaments that support you

Regardless of who beats the ever loving fuck out of you, come out. Regardless of commentators, come out. Regardless of what variation you play, come out. Regardless of how salty you are losing to trepound, come out. Regardless of how much dude you have to smell, come out. Regardless of the turnout, come out. Regardless of the payout, come out. Regardless of sponsorship, come out. Regardless of ranking points, come out. Regardless of placings, come out. Regardless of the amount of twitch viewers, come out. Regardless of the way other scenes see us, come out. Regardless of the amount of furries that wildly appear, come out. Regardless of how many times cossner flirts with you, come out. Regardless of what exactly Big E puts in the chun li tea, come out. Regardless of if you end up on FGC:Bodied, come out. Regardless of if you make it on the stream camera, come out. Regardless of your history, come out. Regardless of whatever is going on in your life, the community will make you feel loved, come out. Regardless of what happens next, COME THE FUCK OUT.

We will not be given the respect, until we pay the iron price for it.

What is dead may never die
I already came out get off my back. :DOGE

Belial

Noob
EVO always had shitty/terrible organization outside of chosen few games. You could tell once they put top8 scheduled sunday morning they see your game as low priority. Same happened at every evo I've been to, I wonder why you didnt complain last year though.

I think EVO was kinda ok when there was no alternative to it. Once MLG/ESL started picking up FGs, EVO being the prime event for fightings became more of a legacy thing, because it definitely falls short on way too many things.