What's new

Question - Kitana Why do I keep hearing Kitana is not that good?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
@Airvidal
If you play the easy way, yes, I agree, but he has some nice looking combos that aren't that easy to get done, that's when it gets fun. Basically, optimize him and see the difference. Plues the easy way is soooo punishable.
Which ones are difficult? I even looked up combos on YT and was just able to immediately do them. I didn't even miss them from go.

I just don't understand. I know where I am as a player and I know how easy they are for me. Why the downplaying? Anyone can spend 5 minutes and see for themselves that I'm speaking the truth.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
@Airvidal

Which ones are difficult? I even looked up combos on YT and was just able to immediately do them. I didn't even miss them from go.

I just don't understand. I know where I am and I know how easy they are for me. Why the downplaying? Anyone can spend 5 minutes and see for themselves that I'm speaking the truth.
I'm not downplaying. I'm just speaking truth. You can easily do a combo against a dummy. When it comes to applying them in battle his combos are not as easy. I guess not the combos themselves but connecting them. Yeah, I think that's it, not so easy to get them started, but once you land them, you'll easily get them done. But of course, it's easy to say a character is easy to use and not actually accept a challenge.

EDIT: By the way, when I said his more complicated combos, I didn't mean they are heavy on execution either. They're just not as easy as the combo I specified earlier. A little more fulfilling.

GAV

I'm not downplaying. I'm just speaking truth. You can easily do a combo against a dummy. When it comes to applying them in battle his combos are not as easy. I guess not the combos themselves but connecting them. Yeah, I think that's it, not so easy to get them started, but once you land them, you'll easily get them done. But of course, it's easy to say a character is easy to use and not actually accept a challenge.

EDIT: By the way, when I said his more complicated combos, I didn't mean they are heavy on execution either. They're just not as easy as the combo I specified earlier. A little more fulfilling.
Both those parts are easy too, in my mind. He has a low and an overhead that both have range. He has starters that can be armored. He has a great neutral jump punisher that sets up combos and he has a dive kick that also is a combo starter.

I would be fine with all of these tools if they just took some skill in execution.

My GT is GAV60. I play on XB1. Add me. I play a whole helluva-lot.

Airvidal

Both those parts are easy too, in my mind. He has a low and an overhead that both have range. He has starters that can be armored. He has a great neutral jump punisher that sets up combos and he has a dive kick that also is a combo starter.

I would be fine with all of these tools if they just took some skill in execution.

My GT is GAV60. I play on XB1. Add me. I play a whole helluva-lot.
First off, trying to start a combo with the armored starter is just a big mistake. You'll be baited and punished. Neutral jump punisher? I'd like to lab that, I doubt you can punish with a neutral punch, unless you're already in the air, which would be the case for the whole cast. Also, njp whiffs when next to the opponent, don't know if you're aware of this. Dive kickers will get baited as it's hella punishable.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you when I go online.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

First off, trying to start a combo with the armored starter is just a big mistake. You'll be baited and punished. Neutral jump punisher? I'd like to lab that, I doubt you can punish with a neutral punch, unless you're already in the air, which would be the case for the whole cast. Also, njp whiffs when next to the opponent, don't know if you're aware of this. Dive kickers will get baited as it's hella punishable.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and add you when I go online.
Word.

His neutral J1 is one of the best in the game - and the dive kick gives him a choice between the two...

...but I know that you know this. I've given up on calling for Bojutsu nerfs because I know it isn't going to happen.

So, why the downplaying? I'm not saying up-play it, but downplaying it ... is just pointless.

Airvidal

Word.

His neutral J1 is one of the best in the game - and the dive kick gives him a choice between the two...

...but I know that you know this. I've given up on calling for Bojutsu nerfs because I know it isn't going to happen.

So, why the downplaying? I'm not saying up-play it, but downplaying it ... is just pointless.
He doesn't deserve any nerfs though. He's a good character 'cause he has range, but that's about it. If you know the MU you'll know you can manage against Bojutsu. And I'm not downplaying, I'm not saying he's bad, but he's not all that fuss people go about when speaking about him.

He's like my third main, so no need to downplay. It would be a different story if I was saying this about Sonya or Kitana, my first and second. And trust me, I have stuff to say about them, but it's no biggie.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
He doesn't deserve any nerfs though. He's a good character 'cause he has range, but that's about it. If you know the MU you'll know you can manage against Bojutsu. And I'm not downplaying, I'm not saying he's bad, but he's not all that fuss people go about when speaking about him.

He's like my third main, so no need to downplay. It would be a different story if I was saying this about Sonya or Kitana, my first and second. And trust me, I have stuff to say about them, but it's no biggie.
I mean hell..You know shits wierd when the Archer is also shit tier in terms of zoning, and has better footies then brawlers. THE GUNSLINGER as well. NRS is wierd like that. So backwards.

Airvidal

I mean hell..You know shits wierd when the Archer is also shit tier in terms of zoning, and has better footies then brawlers. THE GUNSLINGER as well. NRS is wierd like that. So backwards.
Now that you called the the Archer, I think it would be awesome if they gave him a skin like Oliver from Arrow. Just the way they did on Injustice. And it would be even better if the skin was the one they'll be using for the new season that's about to come out, it's a black outfit, really cool.

And yes, many things are backwards about this game. But knowing Boon makes me wonder if it's just another mistake or on purpose...

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Because its called downplaying a character. Kitana players just want to make Kitana more of a brain-dead-fan-spam character than she already is. That's why. Don't listen to their bullshit cries.

GAV

Gunslinger is actually pretty good now. Those cancels give him up close mixups and his gun is fast enough to mix in effectively with his zoning. I think we're going to start seeing a lot more of Gunslinger winning at tournaments.

Because its called downplaying a character. Kitana players just want to make Kitana more of a brain-dead-fan-spam character than she already is. That's why. Don't listen to their bullshit cries.

I thought we had already addressed the "fan-spamming" in this thread.

And also if you actually had read the thread, nobody is downplaying kitana.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
Who are you kidding? She's majority know for fan spamming, Anyone who looks at zoning ability needs to seriously get bent. Every katana i've come across loves to spam fans just unreally..
You're on XBL, have we played before by chance?

GAV

I thought we had already addressed the "fan-spamming" in this thread.

And also if you actually had read the thread, nobody is downplaying kitana.
Not here, but need we revisit the responses to the latest Kitana-nerf?

It has certainly become much better since and there's no need to beat a dead horse, but we can't just act like that thread never happened.