What's new

Why Did You Pick Sektor?

Robotic

Gentleman.
....and who's your sub?

First and foremost this is just to get to know my fellow Sektor players, I'm happy he's getting a lil love here and there from y'all :D

I would also like to know how you went about settling on your sub. So, me first...this was ripped directly from another thread I posted in some time ago:

First for me is design. Does the character flat out look aesthetically pleasing to me. If not, NEXT! Example: I hate how Liu Kang sounds, and I have an unhealthy hatred of his face, in general. On the other end, I appreciate the work that was put into Kung Lao's original costume.

Second, is it fun to play them? If not, NEXT! Example: Kano is a nice artistic design from the NRS team, but his specials aren't really fun for me to do and see on the screen, so I put him down.

Third would be, is the character too easy to win with? If they are, NEXT! I need some sort of satisfaction out of a win. It just makes the game more fun to me, which is the foundation of playing to begin with. Example: Although Kung Lao's design is tight, he's gotta go.

Fourth, is he too difficult to win with? It can't get to a point where you're clawing and clawing just to win a round, let alone a match. This takes the fun out, and contradicts my 2nd reason. Example: Post Patch Quan Chi. God I love this guy, and I hope the hotfix pardons him, but as of right now, can't do it. :(

Lastly, does everybody pick him? If so, NEXT! I like to pick character's that aren't made for the masses. Example: Everything about Scorpion is nice, but everybody picks him, so he's out.

So that leaves a good character design, not top tier, not the most popular character, satisfying to play as and win with. I'll adjust my playstyle accordingly.

So Sektor it is! He is a blast.

As for my sub, still haven't figured that one out yet. I'm hoping for post-hotfix Quan Chi, but we'll see.

So how did you guys end up with Sektor and who is your sub?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sektor is just fun and random, I've noticed people tend to underestimate him but he can be annoying to deal with. I use him as one of my secondary characters.

well one of the main reasons i picked him was because he was my favorite cyborg in umk3...and because..hes a fucking robot lol. But seriously, he has an underrated mix-up pressure game after you shoot off his homing missle. He is also so fun to watch with special moves such as his flamethrower,missles and tu. People dont expect to play against sektor so when they do they don't know how to deal with him most of the time. I love his 12b1 because there are alot of oppurtunities to punish people with it leading into a 30-36% combo. I also love his overhead 122 combo. His b34, u34 TU combos are superb against turtlers. The one flaw with sektor is that i dont use his leg lift that often. I know it can be played to where you can dash cancel out of it or use it to hit a low crouch blocker but its just to slow on start up and the range is pretty bad. I need to start implementing it into my Sekt game though because it can be useful to confuse the opponent for a mix up or dash in and throw. Sektors visually is a great cyborg design and doesnt look corny like csz imo. I also love the fact that nobody picks him and he's not overused and exploited like Smoke and Scorpion etc. This adds to his mystique and overall satisfaction to winning with him. His zoning tools are what really pushed me to play him as i can deal with cage, sub and reptile players pretty easily with him. His flamethrower is probly my favorite anti-air or move in the game and is an excellent zoning weapon against jump ins and rushers. I also love that the EXTU is safe on block, as it can be used to bait the opponent to thinking they can punish you then you flip it on them and punish their move. Although Sektor can get trapped easily i play a style with him where i confuse the opponent and play keep away then let them try to get in on me and once they finally get in i punish their blocked combos with a 12b1 combo. All in all Sektor to me plays in my style very well and fits in how i want to go about fighting the match, zoning & getting in and punishing.

As for my sub..well i havent mastered another fighter like i have Sektor but the closest would have to be Reptile and/or Noob. I love reptiles ability to punish and get in when it counts as a compliment to Sektor against certain characters that need to be matched against a more aggressive offense to be beaten. Noob is just fun to play and i think his playstyle is unique like Sektors, but relies more on zoning.

I am also trying to play with Quan Chi but it feels like im putting in much more work then needed to win matches with him :/ Hes great with meter, but without its sort of a grind.

Creepy00

Noob
I wish Sz threads have this much hype. Anyway, I picked him cause of his HOMING MISSILES, which on umk3 was the best move on my opinion and as always fun to watch lol

I have a few reasons why.
-His flame is one of the best AAs 50/50 options.
-His Rockets have knockdown effect.
-His teleport has a great combo-ability.
-Not difficult to do combos

Of course that is not all the reasons.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
My main is Shang and I was practicing all the characters to learn some mixups to use while transformed. Sektor was just too fun to regulate to just Soul Steal time, so I made him by alt.

Sektroll

Noob
I like his story and how he looks. He wanted to be a cyborg to be stronger (i.e. not a bitch like Cyrax). I share the mindset of getting stronger no matter what it takes.

He has all of the tools necessary to win with great zoning, anti zoning combo starter, the best low in the game, quickest tier uppercut, one of the best left punches in the game, flame anti air, many more opportunities than a lot of characters to start a combo, homing missile, stance 50/50, and most of all he is fun as hell to play.

I could honestly go on with even more, but to sum it up:

He is just a fun character to use with all of the tools necessary to deliver a fierce assbeating along with having a cool story.

Robotic

Gentleman.
When you all get a chance, let me know who ur subs are and how u picked them please. I'm too immersed with sektor to have seriously considered a sub yet.

Well my alt is Quan Chi.
- Decent pressure strings
- Unblockable resets (with EX meter of course)
- Teleport that causes stagger 50/50 chance
- Easy high/low game

Aside from all that he is a good character but I haven't quite peeled him back like I have with Sektor.

Why did I pick Sektor?

MK3 times made me like the ketchup (can't w8 for the classic robots skins, although probably in a month or so coz there are still no klassic kostumes in Europe, lol). Main condition was being the underdog, I just heard that Sektor is underused so I decided to pick him up. I like the easy combos and homing missiles forcing foe to guess.

Winning as Sektor is refreshing and satisfying. On the other hand, losing is so irritating and makes u look like a newbie. I mean, I've got this feeling that Our Lovely Robot is just slow. When I face fast enemy like KL or even Mileena (guys who know their chars, and play clever) who MASH buttons, who are everywhere all the time I'm getting absolutely demolished and sad.

One thing lacking (fine, Sektor is slow that's how he is) for me is a good wake up. The only usable are EX TU (easy to read, might be disadvantageous on whiff), and Flame (easy punishable by teleports). Or I miss something, then enlighten me plz ;-). And the stance is just so slow and punishable by lot of shenanigans.

However, when I pull 13 hit 47% 1EX kombo it's all refunded. I enjoy every single bit of unleashing my sinister dmg on disrespectful enemy. Got few epic mails with "LOL OMG NICE" titles which made my day few times :).

I'm sad that I have no1 to play offline making me play just online. Take with a grain of salt my whinings, since Im playing the laggy online all the time :).

About Sub, well..... I tried to play with Cage (dashing combos felt too weird), Reptile (even weirder gameplay :d), Raiden (combos are unappealing to me), CSZ (bombs interrupting combos made me yell). None of them attracted me nearly as much as Sektor... so I don't have sub atm, maybe in some future DLC there will be a char for me :)

I usually just lurk around TYM, but I saw this post and had to respond.

I started maining Sektor because of his great character design. He has a really good-looking character model, with awesome details like the jets of fire on his back that activate whenever he throws out a move. In addition to his model, he has great looking moves (ie: flamethrower and homing missile) that are totally reminiscent of Boba Fett, and Boba Fett is the fucking man.

Once I started getting Sektors combos and meta-game down, I began to really like his hella flashy zoning/punishing playstyle. I love how when I'm on a roll with Sektor, missile lock-down + 50/50's and punishing with TU's can really frustrate and ultimately dominate my opponents, but the unfortunate flip side is that when I loose, I tend to loose horribly--getting stuck in the corner against heavy rush-down without a super-reliable wake-up can really hurt.

Overall, Sektor has a great weighty feel to him, a lot of options in a match, and sick looks, not to mention a well-crafted backstory.

As for an alt, I tend to use Cyber-SubZero, as I like how his 50/50's (3,4) are *somewhat* similar to Sektors' (back3,4 or up3,4), and that C-Sub has a sweet dive kick for the straightforward offensive pressure that Sektor lacks. C-Sub's rush-down heavy game with a dash of zoning pressure feels like a great compliment to Sektor's zoning heavy game with a dash of mix-up pressure.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I started looking into Sektor because Perfect Legend was hyping the hell out of him the other night, lol.

This character...wow. I love it.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I started looking into Sektor because Perfect Legend was hyping the hell out of him the other night, lol.

This character...wow. I love it.
I'll believe it when your sig is Sektor pouring Ketchup on some fries. :D

front and back missles can be DEADLY when used correctly, great after the opponent decides to jump in after a barrage of blocked up/front missles.

Robotic

Gentleman.
He has a flame thrower, what else is there to say ?
Now that you mention it...Ever since SF2 came out in 92? 93? I've been playing Dhalsim. LOVED his zoning abilities and the fact that if you're not playing the player, as opposed to the character, you will get trounced. Dhalsim made you focus. Anyway, that yoga flame is a helluva move, useful in so many situations....I guess Sektor's torch reminds me of that a lil bit. Difference is, Sek will matrix the shit out of your jawbone! AND he does the Achilles Troy pose on his X-ray. Homeboy's got style. Robo-FLAME!

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
front and back missles can be DEADLY when used correctly, great after the opponent decides to jump in after a barrage of blocked up/front missles.
If only they were less of a pain to mash out. Since I'm so use to Shang, I sometimes input down+up, down+left/right, instead of the correct down+right+left or down+left+right. It couldnt be down+up though because up+3 is Leg Lift.

If only they were less of a pain to mash out. Since I'm so use to Shang, I sometimes input down+up, down+left/right, instead of the correct down+right+left or down+left+right. It couldnt be down+up though because up+3 is Leg Lift.
I know, its a shame that they aren't easier to input. I use an xbox controller so you can imagine my frustration with trying to pull off a good zone of front/back missles. Once i get in a good rhythm it pays off though. Only if TU was df3 and the missles were inputted on 4 (similar to Shangs ground skulls) then it would be perfect imo. Sektor would be even more badass :headbang:

On a side note..

Sektors :flamethrower: is so satisfying when your opponent doesn't respect it and they keep jumping in and then call you a spammer for their mistakes.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I just like his general look, feel and how all his moves are. Really like his throw for some reason, its fast and feels like it flows even though that probably doesn't make sense, but for example I hate cyrax's throw it just looks bad and seems to take forever lol.

Sektor also looks cooler and dissapointly I've only seen him about 2 other times online (in ranked anyway). As for my sub characters I play about 10. Im that jack of all trades guy master of none lol.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I picked him up in MK3 for the GameBoy.
Seeking Missile lagged the shit out of the game lol.

Even when my main is now Smoke, i like the new Sektor too.
His Leg Lift stance is really fun to use, but i guess i have to make my opponents "freeze up" more often.
His Kombos kick ass real hard.
He works good with Smoke in a Tagteam.
He's a Cyber Ninja.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I wanted to learn one of the cyborgs, saw a Sektor on WNF and saw that Cyrax was getting nerfed. Loving Sektor, combos are damaging, has high and low combo starters, ex moves are awesome, projectiles and anti airs are nice. Only thing I dislike are his block strings. I don't know of any that are just great strings that aren't combo starters. Still learning the basic strategies though. Ex up missile is always hilarious to shoot at a guy with 0 pixels left and watch him run away.

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
When I first got the game, I found Smoke as my main, and set out to have Reptile as an alt, though when testing different characters, Sektor felt like the right fit and I found a few good combos with him on my own. With CEO approaching, I decided to not use Reptile since I hadn't gotten any good, and try for a lesser used Sektor.

Then I came to this site, found some combos, and went to the lab!! Been maining him since.