What's new

General/Other - Deceptive Why Deceptive variation is GOOD

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
If your 5 min Kang does better than him you don't understand how you should play Reptile, but you do for Kang (maybe). I don't like bragging, but if my prepatch "garbage" tier Reptile can beat Michelangelo's tournament placer Quan Chi in a FT5 then he can't be that bad. Just in the east coast we have srryimwhite, citizensnips, me, rapzilla, coach steve and a couple of more people from VA. But I guess we're all "no one".

I've placed top 8 at every regional and local tournament. Boo hoo I get brackets of death at the 2 majors I've been to, who gives a shit. I literally just got 2nd at xbattles side tourneycrap (left work at 5 invitational started at 3:30 :/) and this is all with prepatch reptile.

Every single thing you post is in these forums is about how bad reptile is, even though Fraud blank, me, aj, haketh and a bunch of other people tell you that he's not absolute dogshit and even less now that they fixed some of his issues you're still saying it. Play a real bottom tier in another game and then come back, seriously. I have to wonder who the hell do you play against that apparently rekts your reptile every time.

If you're so adamant on showing me how bad he is and how much you understanding way beyond anyone in this forum, then money match me in the mirror at evo.
If he's so viable and solid why'd you put him aside for Kung Jin? In thee last break that's almost all you played. Also you were quoted saying not too long ago he might be the worst in the game..
Also I work 55 hours a week. Can't make it to evo

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
If he's so viable and solid why'd you put him aside for Kung Jin? In thee last break that's almost all you played. Also you were quoted saying not too long ago he might be the worst in the game..
Also I work 55 hours a week. Can't make it to evo
Yeah, he definitely used to lose against the top tiers so I'd compensate with KJ. His main issues got sorted out, have you even played the game after the patch? I work 50 hours a week, I asked for 2 days off for Evo. What can you make it to then?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yeah, he definitely used to lose against the top tiers so I'd compensate with KJ. His main issues got sorted out, have you even played the game after the patch? I work 50 hours a week, I asked for 2 days off for Evo. What can you make it to then?
I work in Monterrey Mexico. You don't get vacation until you work at least one year so nothing until next February. It is all opinion based to me the only buff was d3 and to me that only scratches the surface of what is wrong with him.

Kalaise

Noob
I work in Monterrey Mexico. You don't get vacation until you work at least one year so nothing until next February. It is all opinion based to me the only buff was d3 and to me that only scratches the surface of what is wrong with him.
dude thats not his only buff lol

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
@Under_The_Mayo

So why are you saying he's viable or not if you don't play competitively? Do you understand what viable means?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Viable can mean something different to you but to me tourney viable is not barley maybe getting out of pools but viable to me means actually having a shot at winning the whole thing
So, wouldn't tournament reptiles have a say in that? You're saying that THEY don't have a shot because you can't figure out the character?

biggabarr

chilling
All of you reppii player ,all you need to do is play test your luck and put on one hit kill, lol cause thats what it will take for it to be good, greedy people...

qspec

Noob
I think that in all of the complaining, people have missed that low tier in a balanced game isn't a death sentence... and MKX for all of the issues I have with it, is moving more toward well-balanced with every patch (I've actually been impressed with how light handed their patches have generally been).

So it is entirely fair for someone to say that Reptile is both low-tier and viable.

I think the argument that he is weak at this point is moot because those of you who thought he needed a little something and those of us that thought he didn't at this point generally agree that he's not in a bad place at all.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
just curious on your general opinion, agree or disagree?
I think the East Coast overall is behind because we literally have no time to practice. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you we don't get enough practice. Nothing to do with the characters. I think every character can compete in this game.

Last edited:

Kalaise

Noob
I p
I think the East Coast overall is behind because we literally have no time to practice. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you we don't get enought practice. Nothing to do with the characters. I think every character can compete in this game.
a few people in my situation have all the time to practice but cant travel soo us ec boyz be strugglin

Zaccel

Noob
I think that in all of the complaining, people have missed that low tier in a balanced game isn't a death sentence... and MKX for all of the issues I have with it, is moving more toward well-balanced with every patch (I've actually been impressed with how light handed their patches have generally been)...I think the argument that he is weak at this point is moot because those of you who thought he needed a little something and those of us that thought he didn't at this point generally agree that he's not in a bad place at all.
Well said, though I wouldn't say the argument is moot. Not yet, anyway.

As for Deceptive in particular, I hate saying it's the worst Reptile variation--to me, it's just disappointing. It seems that Invis lost its damage buff to give Noxious something to do, yet has less general utility than Noxious' damage or Basilisk's corner game. I think I said this before, but Deceptive only comes into its own against the right opponent. Not for literally blind mixups, but for rope so they hang themselves. The unmasked face is a potent tool for nauseating your opponent.

I think Deceptive would be more popular if it could pull off something akin to 34xxNoxious, or f412xxEX Basilisk. Currently, the meter spent and potential psychological damage isn't as valuable as the other variations' abilities. The unmasked face is nauseating to play as. Maybe if db4 or FBs were more practical, it could give Deceptive some presence as a slippery zoning/oki machine? I don't know. It's tricky to strike the right balance.

Kalaise

Noob
Well said, though I wouldn't say the argument is moot. Not yet, anyway.

As for Deceptive in particular, I hate saying it's the worst Reptile variation--to me, it's just disappointing. It seems that Invis lost its damage buff to give Noxious something to do, yet has less general utility than Noxious' damage or Basilisk's corner game. I think I said this before, but Deceptive only comes into its own against the right opponent. Not for literally blind mixups, but for rope so they hang themselves. The unmasked face is a potent tool for nauseating your opponent.

I think Deceptive would be more popular if it could pull off something akin to 34xxNoxious, or f412xxEX Basilisk. Currently, the meter spent and potential psychological damage isn't as valuable as the other variations' abilities. The unmasked face is nauseating to play as. Maybe if db4 or FBs were more practical, it could give Deceptive some presence as a slippery zoning/oki machine? I don't know. It's tricky to strike the right balance.
I can't stand using noxious or nimble tbh

Zaccel

Noob
I can't stand using noxious or nimble tbh
To each their own. Total invisibility isn't as immediately rewarding as DoT or corner stuff, but there's obvious potential. If you can stomach looking at that face? Even more potential