What's new

Why can't you cancel into behind and in front up missle?

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Just something I've always wondered. Any string that can be cancelled into a special you can cancel into normal up missle but not the behind and infront variations. After a string in certain situations I'll occassionally cancel into up missle instead of flame then do either infront or behind or something.

After 122 you can cancel into upmissle which is mainly only useful in the corner because it leaves you wide open midscreen but it would be nice if you could put the missle infront of you to cover yourself. Theres probably more situations it would be useful too.

I think sektor's fine the way he is but this wouldn't really buff him much at all I just don't see why he can't do it when most others chars in the game can I think.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Just something I've always wondered. Any string that can be cancelled into a special you can cancel into normal up missle but not the behind and infront variations. After a string in certain situations I'll occassionally cancel into up missle instead of flame then do either infront or behind or something.

After 122 you can cancel into upmissle which is mainly only useful in the corner because it leaves you wide open midscreen but it would be nice if you could put the missle infront of you to cover yourself. Theres probably more situations it would be useful too.

I think sektor's fine the way he is but this wouldn't really buff him much at all I just don't see why he can't do it when most others chars in the game can I think.
I think the most obvious answer may be true, I'm afraid: They just forgot to do it for those inputs. Maybe I'm wrong.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's a bug preventing those (same as Noob had). Should be included in the next round of gameplay fixes.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
1,2,2 to close upmissle would be soooo goooood..... can't wait

Dante

Noob
As a play Noob Saibot aswell i have to say it will be freakin powerful addition although Sektor doesnt really need buffs, unless they nerf his dmg (and they should tbh). I love Sektor myself so i wouldnt mind but you get what i mean ^^

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
As a play Noob Saibot aswell i have to say it will be freakin powerful addition although Sektor doesnt really need buffs, unless they nerf his dmg (and they should tbh). I love Sektor myself so i wouldnt mind but you get what i mean ^^
Nothing wrong with sektor's damage.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
up to 59% dmg combo and fairly easy to do midscreen is nothing wrong in your opinion? :p
What 59% combos are you talking about exactly? Are these just random impractical combos like homing missle up missle 12b1 njp or something cause even with meter I don't see how sektors gets 59% midscreen. I know he also gets big dmg after certain TU's with b21 and b34 but as far as 100% reliable combo's go sektor gets about 45% midscreen with 1 bar of meter off his standard punish which seems reasonable to me.

Sektor's perfectly balanced the way he is and doesn't need any significant buffs or nerfs. If your pulling of fairly easy to do 59% midscreen combos then your a beast and should go go win some tournies because even for sektor thats pretty crazy lol. I can't speak too much about this since I don't have him but doesn't rain get like 40%+ meterless? A decent amount of chars get around or close to 40% with no meter so whilst sektor's damage is very good its not overpowered.

ryublaze

Noob
up to 59% dmg combo and fairly easy to do midscreen is nothing wrong in your opinion? :p
Before path 1.02 Sektor could do a 58% combo (57& was posted on Youtube, but you could make it 58% by changing the last part). Sektor got nerfed after the patch and that combo does around 52% now and it is incredibly difficult to pull off whether it's online or offline.

Dante

Noob
What do u mean 100% reliable combos? Is 12b1, nj.P or TU, b21, b34 ex TU not reliable? That can be a projectile punish as well.
For the "up to 59%" i was reffering to up missile j.P, b2 xx TU, b21, b34 xx ex TU, b2 flame, where in that case its hard to land an up missile ofc but there are setups for that.
Im just saying that his 1bar (focus on 1bar!!) dmg is alot and kinda easy compared to most of the cast.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
What do u mean 100% reliable combos? Is 12b1, nj.P or TU, b21, b34 ex TU not reliable? That can be a projectile punish as well.
For the "up to 59%" i was reffering to up missile j.P, b2 xx TU, b21, b34 xx ex TU, b2 flame, where in that case its hard to land an up missile ofc but there are setups for that.
Im just saying that his 1bar (focus on 1bar!!) dmg is alot and kinda easy compared to most of the cast.
Sorry but I fail to see how any of those combo's are fairly easy. The nj.P after 12b1 is all but pointless. I can get it down about 1/2 the time in training mode but it adds about what 2-3%? Whilst increasing your chances of dropping the combo massively. The timing feels iffier then reptiles njp after eblow dash. Lets say your a beast and nail it 9/10 times - drop it once and you've just lost all those extra 2%'s you've been getting.

As for the b21 b34 ex TU stuff I can see how thats consistent but I wouldn't call it fairly easy. Sure I can get it down loads of times in training mode but what about in an actual match, I miss time the b21 after TU slightly or press b34 too early and drop the combo. In a real match these combo's really arn't as conistent as they seem if they were a bunch of high level sektor players would be doing them all the time. Again if you drop it about 1/5 times then it would have been better doing your standard bnb or whatever.

I challenge sektor players to practice the b2 TU b21 b34 or just TU b21 b34 and then tell me how many times they dropped it out of 10. I did it 7/10 times in practice mode in a real match I'm sure it'd be even lower. If you really have gotten it consistenly then congrats but I still fail to see how its really easy compared to the rest of the cast. Which characters are you playing exactly? I've played and messed around with Mileena, Quan Chi, Reptile, Raiden, Sheeva, Jade and a few others and all their standard combos seem a lot more reliable for me then what you posted.

Dante

Noob
Well this might be really helpful to you. Are you familiar with the plinking system in sf4? If so try "plinking" the neutral jump with fp and bp. If you arent what u basically do is (in the nj.p case) jump then tap (kinda like a slide) one punch button and then the other. This will higher your chances to get that nj.p ALOT although it will still require propper timing.

Now about TU b21 etc i could get it 10/10 but i know that u can lose even the simplest of the combos at times so i tried again and missed it a couple of times. That makes it less reliable than others? Yeah it could be, but keep in mind the reward... you cant simply ignore such a reward.

What are the max dmg for those chars u played midscreen? Im telling you you wont find many chars that can do such big dmg midscreen ;p

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Well this might be really helpful to you. Are you familiar with the plinking system in sf4? If so try "plinking" the neutral jump with fp and bp. If you arent what u basically do is (in the nj.p case) jump then tap (kinda like a slide) one punch button and then the other. This will higher your chances to get that nj.p ALOT although it will still require propper timing.

Now about TU b21 etc i could get it 10/10 but i know that u can lose even the simplest of the combos at times so i tried again and missed it a couple of times. That makes it less reliable than others? Yeah it could be, but keep in mind the reward... you cant simply ignore such a reward.

What are the max dmg for those chars u played midscreen? Im telling you you wont find many chars that can do such big dmg midscreen ;p
Yes I know about plinking its how I do reptiles njp after 321 dash and pretty much any njp in this game. Thing about sektors njp is the timing feels really strict even doing it as fast as possible its hard to get everyitme, I get reptiles more often then sektors. Anyway what I said still applies if your a beast and get it 9/10 thats really impressive but dropping it once already makes that 9/10 times you got it not worth it.

Same still applies for the b21 b34 TU combos I still can't see them as consistent but hey if you get them as consistently as his bnb's then no reason not to do them. Watching streams of people playing sektor they'll still drop his bnb's or mess up parts of it like a 2 coming out instead of b2 flame etc. To much window for error to make b21 b34 ex TU not worth it imo. I know the rewards big but for me at least the risk outweights the reward.

If you want chars that have damaging combos midscreen then this is what I can come up with off the top of my head of chars that get or push 40% midscreen. Ermac, Kitana, Cyber sub, Nightwolf?, Rain, Cyrax obviously, Smoke, and theres probably a few more. Chars there like ermac have combo's even easier then sektor's bnb's imo and far easier then b21 b34 ex tu. If we're saying sektor does about 50 something % outside of missle setups and impractical njp's with gdlk execution to constantly nail b21 b34 ex TU and he uses 1 meter then that seems reasonable to me.

Combo dmg isn't everything a character is made up of btw.

I asked this as a question on the S1lent1 and Tom Brady show only to have it misinterpretted at first. I ended up pming Tom Brady with better detail and on the latest show he confirmed that this was indeed a bug and that it should be fixed at some point.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
the inputs on the front/back missiles are still too lame to use frequently especially since I main Shang Tsung. They should change Leg Lift to F+3 or something and then change the inputs on Front/Mid/Behind missiles to be more like Shang's up skulls: D+F+3, D+U+3, D+B+3

So these missile cancels were rumored for the upcoming patch, but the early patch notes don't say anything about it. Is this still coming?

I don't really care, because if it was up to me, I would take this:
They should change Leg Lift to F+3 or something and then change the inputs on Front/Mid/Behind missiles to be more like Shang's up skulls: D+F+3, D+U+3, D+B+3
or any move with armor (an armored EX flame or EX missile), over these missile cancels any day. Sektor is one of the few characters who has not one armor move.