What's new

Why are NRS games looked down upon by high level FGC players?

I'm going to keep it real rn, the people who mostly look down at NRS games are NRS players as of late. Players from other scenes seem to either really enjoy the game, or respect it as it is.
im going to keep it real rn, you dont know shit.
as an 16er and you better learn from the elders.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
im going to keep it real rn, you dont know shit.
as an 16er and you better learn from the elders.
I didnt know the time I joined the scene determined my knowledge of it's current goings. Focusing on how shit used to be is pointless and regressive in nature. I'm basing this statement off what I have seen right now, in front of my eyes in the year 2019. Not what players used to say in the MK9 days or even the MKX days. Right now, in MK11, our players are shitting on the game more than others. Dont pull the "you're new kid" card because I've had it pulled plenty and 9/10 that person ends up looking pretty stupid, because that viewpoint is stupid.

I didnt know the time I joined the scene determined my knowledge of it's current goings. Focusing on how shit used to be is pointless and regressive in nature. I'm basing this statement off what I have seen right now, in front of my eyes in the year 2019. Not what players used to say in the MK9 days or even the MKX days. Right now, in MK11, our players are shitting on the game more than others. Dont pull the "you're new kid" card because I've had it pulled plenty and 9/10 that person ends up looking pretty stupid, because that viewpoint is stupid.
  • i already posted why mk had a bad rep. its an old thing and today pretty much irrelevant.
  • nobody outside the nrs scene cares about "internal game debates" within the nrs scene
  • nowadays its really just a matter of preference. sf5 players dont like mk11? keep playing sf5 then (lul)
btw crzyfingrs
i will keep pulling the "you're new kid" card on you so you better deal with it.

CrazyFingers

• i already posted why mk had a bad rep. its an old thing and today pretty much irrelevant.
  • nobody outside the nrs scene cares about "internal game debates" within the nrs scene
  • nowadays its really just a matter of preference. sf5 players dont like mk11? keep playing sf5 then (lul)
btw crzyfingrs
i will keep pulling the "you're new kid" card on you so you better deal with it.
What was the point in berating me when you agree with me? You sound lost.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Actually it’s the reverse now. Most people from other communities are cool with us, while people from our own community spend all day bashing NRS, trying to boycott our own games, saying the game will die when it’s currently showing no signs of dying, etc.

It’s easy to point the finger at somebody else, but we need to clean our own act up first if we want to be treated with the utmost respect.

We need to learn how to criticize constructively (which is fine) without burning our own community to the ground in the process.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
NRS games in general tend to have broken mechanics and the powergaps between tiers is much more abysmal. For example, the whiffing issues this game has just makes it look too casual to be kompetitively studied.
Yeah, so that’s why more than 1500 people are paying to enter it at the biggest competitive fighting game event in the world?

This is exactly the kind of counterproductive attitude that I’m talking about. You can ask for things you want improved, without making ridiculous overexaggerations statements that shoot your own community in the foot at the same time.

Last edited:
MK is a weird boat. The classics had the best ost, characters and some of the most iconic stages.

Nowdays gameplay is better, but all the rest is worse. Corny animations and design choices. The lore and origins moved too far from what it intended to be.

Gameplay is better but not near perfect eather. Stiff mobility and delay on inputs is whats kiling the gameplay for me.

These are just preferences. I dont care for the special forces army BS. I used to like MK bc the eastern inspired mytholgies that clashed with the west. It is what made me a fan of MK, nothing to do with nostalgia.

MK9 is the best MK game ever made in terms of gameplay, even with the flaws it had.

can't wait for the MK9 remastered edition

Error404

Noob
You really shouldn't care what people think of the game you like playing. Or what they think of you for that matter.

Look at smash - a party game , played by man-children who drink glue on stream. Notorious for not using deodorent. 3500 people signed up for EVO this year. If public opinion mattered , the smash community would have been a victim of a genocide , not the face of the FGC

It has absolutely nothing to do with balance or broken mechanics. Guys like Justin Wong, Sanford Kelly, etc. played MvC2 well over 10 years. That game is broken as all hell.

It’s a preference thing IMO. The main reason is most likely the block button. None of those guys play Virtua Fighter either. It’s a very solid fighter, but also has a block button.

What was the point in berating me when you agree with me? You sound lost.
i agreed with you? ur funny, kid.
did you even read the thread opening post? go ahead an read it again.
the "nrs games looked down by other communitys players" is an issue that has been carried from the past.
thats the main point.

i sound lost huh? no problem, i will always be there for you.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Look at smash - a party game , played by man-children who drink glue on stream. Notorious for not using deodorent. 3500 people signed up for EVO this year. If public opinion mattered , the smash community would have been a victim of a genocide , not the face of the FGC
This is the other kind of talk that irritates me. Like, people think it’s cool to stereotype and bash other communities. And I’ve seen a lot of this kind of talk here lately. If we’re doing this then we’re no better than anyone else.

The FGC needs more togetherness and cooperation. We’re all in the same bed, so may as well get along.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
People can shit on NRS titles all they want, and it's sort of become a tradition I guess (we even do it ourselves) but you can't take away that there is skill involved when two equally matched players face off. MK11 is leagues ahead of MK9 and MKX, and sure MK9 was the most nostalgic but if they don't change their game year after year and just sell us nostalgia we'll get bored of it, trust me.

I still think that some things need to change in the game, some stuff is a bit ridiculous, but as far as competition-wise it's a good contender and why there are over 1500 entrants for it at EVO.

CrazyFingers

i agreed with you? ur funny, kid.
did you even read the thread opening post? go ahead an read it again.
the "nrs games looked down by other communitys players" is an issue that has been carried from the past.
thats the main point.

i sound lost huh? no problem, i will always be there for you.
I did read it, did you read my post where I used the words "as of late"? Which means I was stating that in the current climate this ISNT an issue? Where you then state it's no longer an issue which is in agreement with that idea I'm presenting? Idk why you're feeling the need to be antagonistic about the whole thing. I already know in the past this has been an issue, my point is it isnt anymore. Also I assume that last part is supposed to be an attempt at a clever rebuttal but you still sound lost and the rebuttal doesnt make any actual sense.

MK11 is leagues ahead of MK9 and MKX, and sure MK9 was the most nostalgic but if they don't change their game year after year and just sell us nostalgia we'll get bored of it, trust me.
do you mean storymode wise or what? anyways i would be careful with such statements for obvious reasons.
trust you in what exactly? fgc main games usually last for years (6-10)
how one can get bored of playing a good fighting game? :confused:

Reactions: JTC

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
do you mean storymode wise or what? anyways i would be careful with such statements for obvious reasons.
trust you in what exactly? fgc main games usually last for years (6-10)
how one can get bored of playing a good fighting game? :confused:
I'm saying if the game is focused on nostalgia instead of good FG mechanics then we'll get bored.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
People can shit on NRS titles all they want, and it's sort of become a tradition I guess (we even do it ourselves) but you can't take away that there is skill involved when two equally matched players face off. MK11 is leagues ahead of MK9 and MKX, and sure MK9 was the most nostalgic but if they don't change their game year after year and just sell us nostalgia we'll get bored of it, trust me.

I still think that some things need to change in the game, some stuff is a bit ridiculous, but as far as competition-wise it's a good contender and why there are over 1500 entrants for it at EVO.
yeah, fucking true ! the pace change done to MK11 it's welcome .... we all know that MK9 was pure fan service, NRS needed to revive the MK franchise, that was already being boring itself, with those garbage 3D era games, and that abomination of game called MK vs DC, so, they put their neck on risk, but delivered something pretty good (MK9), that was explicity inspired by the sucessful reception SF 4 had 2 years prior, so .... for MKX, they tried to propose something way more aggressive, favoring rushdown and offensive gameplay, and gave us a game with main focus was 50/50 strings, mixed with running command and absurd corner combos .... in the beginning, was fun, but 2 years later, was very boring , bland and dull to follow up competitive scene for MKX ...... :eek:

so, in MK11, they tried to make something between MK9 and MKX, and IMO, it's a very good game, with great potential .... the problem is that lot of people still stick on the past and are not open mind, and so, it's predictable some hate wave for MK11 to come up .... anyway, we can criticize at will, but only constructive critics are the one that matter the most, hehe

hate for hate only purpose, it's waste of time :p

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Also, upsets have been happening on NRS games as well, Digit winning a major with Shazam, Burrito Vorhees' Swamp Thing on the later half of Injustice 2, and MK11 is very new, but Furious Pillow vs Hayatei comes to mind and Biohazard has been doing work with Kano, also Tweedy pocket Frost putting a hard fight against Ninjakilla.
lol come on man. Hayatei clearly did not know the match up, that won't happen again. And Bio dropped Kano to run to the high tiers just like his bro

Samsara

Resident Cynic
My last bit here:

It doesn't matter whether or not the NRS home crowd or the rest of the FFC hate it more.

I think the fact that we actually play the games give our complaints and enjoyments more validity than some hater outside the scene.

I think ppl might be harsh on MK because they are invested in the game and want to see it do better.
There's been a lot of self righteous finger wagging from the NRS defense squad and honestly plenty of childish whinging and doomsaying from the detractors too.

OP just wanted to know why OTHERS look down at our games, its not supposed to be a post-mortem of our own community, lol.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I mean isnt SF5 kinda the running gag knowadays?

I think patches come too far in between, and NRS has a rather controversial record when it comes to balance decisions. I think the fear of developers catering to the low level play can hurt the perception. I do think we should balance for all levels of play, but balancing low level should not impact high level play. Deadshot could have been handled in such a way, that he would still be a good character while still giving the lower skilled players a chance

Hot_DNA

Noob
I wouldn't fret too much over other FGC. SF5 was not a great game especially on release compared to other SF's. I seem to recall Tekken 6 I think getting some harsh feedback from their fanbase unless it was Tekken 5(forget which one) of saying it was "too casually made" or something of that nature. The last few MVC games were average at best and forgotten quickly compared to MVC2 days. And Evo NRS games have had respectable numbers, especially past few years and this year. MK may not be at the top but who cares? It sure as hell ain't at the bottom either so....
UMVC3 lasted 6 years with one patch and SFV is still going pretty strong

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You don't see toxic stuff from top players. Everyone likes the series, but there's a limit to that. Reason for people to drop it and move elsewhere is how NRS made this game.

1. The ragequitters: You know, the infamous bunch of idiots who never hold and learn from their loses like men and plug them out. Those accursed assholes made a premiere with their low tier tactics at Kombat League, which I knew beforehand to avoid no matter what. Kombat League in a sense was ESL 2.0.
  2. The whiffing issues: Most of the characters, from bottom to top tiers, have whiff issues. There are cases that even half of their attacks don't connect at all, resulting the drop of the combos, or in the best scenario, the reset.
  3. Their animations are janky and kind of useless just for the style and gore. They gave too much frames just for the style, and every move they do is illogically wrong, like Jacqui packing too much of a punch and Raiden being too slow.
  4. Most of the glitches are still there and haven't yet been fixed, like Frost's and Geras's FB hitting the jumping opponents from behind them.
  5. Variations: They kept the formula from INJ2 and have most of the useful powers locked, thus making the matches too boring and repetitive, and at worse scenario, unfair for the bottom tiers, like Frost and Kollektor. We kept asking for Kustom Variations, yet they kept muting us out from their ears. And the variations formula is from MKX.
  6. WiFi: They never added the WiFi filter to prevent us from ever playing with WiFi assholes, thus making this a nightmare for the rest of us, the cable warriors.
  7. Balance: As you have seen in this game, if you tried all the characters, some of the characters, like Erron Black, have all the tools to deal against both rushdown and zoners, while the rest can barely fight, because they're either zoners or rushdown without any tools to defend themselves from the all-rounders, like Erron and Cassie. Frost lacks the 50/50 in her strings required to deal against rushdown, while Jacqui lacks the zoning tools to deal with the zoners. Some characters, like Geras and Jacqui, have too much power and easy Krushing Blows requirements, compared to the others, who would need 2 or more combos/Amplified specials to make them work. As example, Jacqui needs to be at max range to do the KB, while Frost needs 3 Amp Drills before doing her KB Drill.
I might have missed other stuff that makes it unfavorable for us players, but you get the general idea of what's going on. NRS patched only the universal stuff and have yet to patch all the characters, and this shit is still on since release day.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
OP just wanted to know why OTHERS look down at our games, its not supposed to be a post-mortem of our own community, lol.
I think the point some people were trying to make is that these two are actually connected —we can’t demand respect from anyone else if we don’t respect ourselves for a start.

Last edited: